Powerful portable AMP/DAC for Denon 2000 PC/HDTV out.
Mar 29, 2012 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lubczyk

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I'm looking at picking up the Denon AHD200 as an entryway into hi-fi sound. The thing is, I know the thing needs an amp to sound it's best. I use a full-size PC, standard HDTV and a couple laptops, so I'd like to be able to lend the headphones to others in the household as well as friends and family without much disassembly.

I don't know the terminology, but I probably want a AMP/DAC combo. No idea what a LOD is. All the computers in the household use onboard sound, so I'd probably be plugging the headphones directly into the headphone jack and not the soundcard from the back. Same for the TV or any music players. Just straight into the headphone jack.

Any suggestions. Price is not a concern as of now, since I need your help just to learn what I should be looking for.

Any accompying accessories needed/suggested would be a great help as well.

Thanks in advance!!!

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 5

[size=10pt]             Hey, I also just recently purchased the Denon D2K and been anxiously waiting for them to arrive. It seems everyone on head-fi is in love with those headphones. I actually just purchased the Audio Technica’s Ad900 as my entryway into hi-fi but was dissatisfied as the bass was non-existent. I'm pretty excited on listening to the D2K's and hear that low deep bass everyone is talking about. [/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]           Anyways....   I don't know much about amp's or dac's but I been researching like mad to see what goes best with the D2000's.The Fiio e10 is highly recommended with D2K; although, it is not portable. I read that the e10 has great synergy with the D2K. It's not portable; it can only be used with a pc.[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]           Another amp/dac would be the Fiio e7/e9 combo. The e7 is a portable dac while the e9 is a powerful amp. I think that combo would be overkill for the D2k since they're low impedance, making them  very easy to drive. Laptop or iPod would easily power the D2K.[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]          I would say maybe the Fiio e17 as its portable and a high quality dac/amp.  The dac/amp basically improves the sound signature, giving you a tighter and deeper bass. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable could give you better recommendations. For myself I'm considering the Fiio e7, since it's portable dac/amp and it fits my budget.[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]Electronic-expo has the D2K's for 199$.[/size]

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 5
Unfortunately I don't know much about tube amps and the Bravo doesn't look that portable. Do you want portability for just around the house? Or for on the go?. For home use the Fiio e10 would be a great amp for the D2K. 
            I just recently purchased the e17 as it seems to be the best portable dac/amp in its price range 140$. Even though the D2000 are low impedance my ipod and pc can't properly drive it. An amp would greatly improve the sound quality on the e17. A cool feature on the e17 it has an optical port, so you could plug your gaming console right in the amp.  I should have it by the end of the week and I'll let you how it sounds.

E17 review 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/2445

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 5
I was looking at either that E17 or the upcoming ODAC since I only need the headphones around the house.

Now that I think about it, maybe I don't need that much bass and analytical sound since most of my music listening comes from Youtube. I was looking at the BrainWavs HM5 (FA-003) or the Fischer Audio FA-011 as possible alternatives.

Thank you for the suggestions. Every post helps me learn more about home audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back