Powered PA mixer with PC connectivity?
Apr 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Napalmhardcore

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I hope this isn't outside the scope of this forum. I didn't want to join another forum to ask just one question and this is the most relevant forum I'm already a member of.

I play gigs at pubs etc but my power amp/mixing head is dying. It fist gave me trouble a while back (feeding back for no good reason), since then I tried it and it seemed to work OK (although it didn't work at all initially). When I tried it today initially nothing, then it suddenly started working (which nearly caused my mother to foul herself) but when adjusting the gain or just strumming my guitar slightly harder it made crackling noises a bit like static (but dull). Point is I can't rely on it.

I'm now in the market for a new power amp/mixing head. Before my amp died I was looking to buy a mixer. Something like the Yamaha MW-12CX seemed ideal to plug into my power amp but that also interfaced with PC (and Cubase). I was hoping I might be able to kill two birds with one stone and buy a combined power amp mixer with PC connectivity. I had a quick Google and found at least one such unit exists (Stageline PMX-1282USB) but was wondering if there are better units in the same category. I must admit when it comes to PA equipment I don't know what brands are good and what to stay away from. If needs be I'd just buy a power amp and the previously mentioned Yamaha unit (as the inclusion of and assured compatibility with Cubase is an attractive prospect).

The (2) speakers I need it to power are 100W RMS, 200W music and 8ohms. Through a little research I've been led to believe it's good to have a little head room to work with so 300W-400W would be ideal.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back