Powerbeats Pro (Truly Wireless IEM from Apple/Beats)
May 17, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #17 of 337
My initial thoughts guys after trying them out for one gym session:
Let me first put some context around this, i wanted these mainly for the hooks. I do vigorous workouts and everything else I've tried either falls out my ears, or i have to adjust them every few minutes.
I've also tried using Bluetooth mmcx adapters, but this is still uncomfortable and i still would need to make adjustments. Example if i turn my head the cord that goes over my ears would unhook.
Safe to say these are really snug and once I played with the ear hook piece to the right liking i didn't fiddle with it at all in a 2hr workout session. Ear hook piece is flexible and stays the way you position it.
Sacrificing some sound for comfort is what i was expecting. After i paired my Shanling M0 I paired with the default Bluetooth, I'm normally on APTX codec, but i noticed that the APTX wasn't showing.
I played it like this for about 15-20 min and it sounded really bad. Good news is that i read this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iphone-aac-vs-aptx-and-aptx-hd-real-world.861978/
I then changed the codec to AAC and I'm very pleased to say the sound quality now meets my minimum requirement. Wish the volume was a bit louder, but with the right seal you should be ok. Speaking of seal the isolation with stock tips is decent, but i wasn't going for complete isolation as i like to hear people when i do pause a track without taking out the buds. Button functions are easy to use and pairing is consistent. I'll have to see how using it with an IPhone X sounds, i bet it sounds better since its all Apple.
Hope this was helpful!

May 17, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 337
My initial thoughts guys after trying them out for one gym session:
Let me first put some context around this, i wanted these mainly for the hooks. I do vigorous workouts and everything else I've tried either falls out my ears, or i have to adjust them every few minutes.
I've also tried using Bluetooth mmcx adapters, but this is still uncomfortable and i still would need to make adjustments. Example if i turn my head the cord that goes over my ears would unhook.
Safe to say these are really snug and once I played with the ear hook piece to the right liking i didn't fiddle with it at all in a 2hr workout session. Ear hook piece is flexible and stays the way you position it.
Sacrificing some sound for comfort is what i was expecting. After i paired my Shanling M0 I paired with the default Bluetooth, I'm normally on APTX codec, but i noticed that the APTX wasn't showing.
I played it like this for about 15-20 min and it sounded really bad. Good news is that i read this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iphone-aac-vs-aptx-and-aptx-hd-real-world.861978/
I then changed the codec to AAC and I'm very pleased to say the sound quality now meets my minimum requirement. Wish the volume was a bit louder, but with the right seal you should be ok. Speaking of seal the isolation with stock tips is decent, but i wasn't going for complete isolation as i like to hear people when i do pause a track without taking out the buds. Button functions are easy to use and pairing is consistent. I'll have to see how using it with an IPhone X sounds, i bet it sounds better since its all Apple.
Hope this was helpful!

AAC is the best, most transparent Bluetooth codec that’s widely available. To my ears it’s a lot better than aptX, and in fact even at a lower bitrate it’s technically superior. You’ll have the best experience using an iPhone with Apple Music.

I’ve been reading the reviews on Apple’s site, and it seems clear to me that a lot of people don’t take the time to test the different ear tips in order to get a good seal which leads to complaints about a tinny sound that’s lacking bass. Personally I’m not the biggest fan of IEM’s for that reason among others (an earbud design like AirPods/EarPods are more likely to sound good for most people out of the box) but I am interested to test the Powerbeats Pro at some point. Apple Stores used to carry Powerbeats3 demos with new ear tips for each user, so I’ll have to check next time I visit one.

AirPods really don’t sound bad though, and they fit me perfectly fine. I prefer their sound quality to the BeatsX and find the earbud design more comfortable. Still, I think Powerbeats Pro have the potential to fit and sound better.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #19 of 337
AAC is the best, most transparent Bluetooth codec that’s widely available. To my ears it’s a lot better than aptX, and in fact even at a lower bitrate it’s technically superior. You’ll have the best experience using an iPhone with Apple Music.

I’ve been reading the reviews on Apple’s site, and it seems clear to me that a lot of people don’t take the time to test the different ear tips in order to get a good seal which leads to complaints about a tinny sound that’s lacking bass. Personally I’m not the biggest fan of IEM’s for that reason among others (an earbud design like AirPods/EarPods are more likely to sound good for most people out of the box) but I am interested to test the Powerbeats Pro at some point. Apple Stores used to carry Powerbeats3 demos with new ear tips for each user, so I’ll have to check next time I visit one.

AirPods really don’t sound bad though, and they fit me perfectly fine. I prefer their sound quality to the BeatsX and find the earbud design more comfortable. Still, I think Powerbeats Pro have the potential to fit and sound better.

I think it's not just the ear tips reason for some negative Apple site reviews. There have been many reviews from tech journalists as well mentioning that treble is quite fatiguing on the Powerbeats pro. Most probably the new Apple audio engineers follow the path of treble friendly headphones since the same problem appears as well on AirPods. Even if bass is adequate, when you position treble that high, the whole audio output of a headphone gives the impression of bass lightness. By the way, Studio3 is a very good headphone, with awesome bass and a non fatiguing treble...For sure though I will check these Powerbeats pro myself, since as a concept and implementation they are really unique!

May 18, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #20 of 337
I think it's not just the ear tips reason for some negative Apple site reviews. There have been many reviews from tech journalists as well mentioning that treble is quite fatiguing on the Powerbeats pro. Most probably the new Apple audio engineers follow the path of treble friendly headphones since the same problem appears as well on AirPods. Even if bass is adequate, when you position treble that high, the whole audio output of a headphone gives the impression of bass lightness. By the way, Studio3 is a very good headphone, with awesome bass and a non fatiguing treble...For sure though I will check these Powerbeats pro myself, since as a concept and implementation they are really unique!

I don't think the treble is elevated. Only on hotly recorded/mastered music have I noticed it and my ears are fairly sensitive to it. On normal/well recorded music the treble is just right. I actually prefer the sound of the Powerbeats Pro to the Studio 3.

May 18, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #21 of 337
I don't think the treble is elevated. Only on hotly recorded/mastered music have I noticed it and my ears are fairly sensitive to it. On normal/well recorded music the treble is just right. I actually prefer the sound of the Powerbeats Pro to the Studio 3.

Let’s hope you’re right because I really want to like and buy these headphones since I’ve always been needing something like that. But I heard about the exaggerated treble from more than one sources and it’s something I really hate on sound. I come from the Shure “school” of audio warmth and this is what I prefer always. Studio3 cannot be compared directly to the Powerbeats since they are full cans, so their audio reproduction is completely different. I just said though that I personally like a lot the Studio3, but of course I cannot compare them to the Powerbeats pro since I haven’t heard the Powerbeats yet. I prefer the Studio3 to the BeatsX which I also own...

May 18, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #22 of 337
Guys the treble is actually pretty clean and not over powering. If there is a nit picking complaint then i would say these could have better separation and sound stage. My last IEM grail was the Sony IER-Z1R (Just sold) and My daily drivers are the Sony EX1000's (Super bright). Both did very well in Separation and sound stage. Speaking of ear tips i'm currently testing these with spinfits, symbios, and KZ Starlines.

Like this post if you want to know my thoughts on that. =)

May 18, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #23 of 337
Just finished another workout session, again not having to fiddle with the earphones at all. This is freaking amazing again coming from my previous set ups. Put them on, hit pause a few times if anything, take off and that's it! Today i used the KZ Starlines and these i have mixed feelings on. Very comparable with the stock tips as they portray more a closed sound. Those of you that want the more "Isolation" sound these do the job and more comfortable to my ears. Here's the thing though you have to remember isolated fit and sound is comparable to closed back headphones and all the pros and cons that come with that. Now think about open back headphones where air pass through can really bring out sound stage. This is what i'm searching for without sacrificing much of that isolated sound. i would say the only con to the Starlines are the highs and mids being a bit subdued. Now size of the tips do matter as well, so find the right fit while searching for your perfect match/sound. Next up will be the Spin fits.

Make sure to like my posts if you want to hear my experience with those!

May 18, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #25 of 337
I've seen a couple youtube videos that had the call sound, honestly it sounded pretty bad.
He was walking down a street with cars in the background. Good thing i don't use these for calls.

edit: I’m talking about the mic, not the sound quality listening.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #27 of 337
AirPods sound good for their intended use; in fact, better than some budget IEM’s I’ve tried that came highly recommended in audiophile communities and were supposed to blow AirPods away, but AirPods probably measure better than those too.

If the fit and sound of the Powerbeats Pro is better than the AirPods and the Solo3 then I can definitely see myself upgrading. As much as I like those two headphones, I wouldn’t mind deeper bass and AirPods have basically spoiled on-ear/over-ear headphones for me for any type of active use.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #28 of 337
Just picked up a pair of truly wireless PowerBeats Pros, and I am really impressed. Apple has finally invested its latest technology into these new earbuds. The results are impressive.

Everything else (including AirPods) falls out of my ears. These PowerBeats Pros are rock solid and comfortable too. Still doing a bit of tip rolling (I have two different sized ear canals). So far, I am impressed. Will report back after using them for a while and finding the right tips to use with them.

The SQ smokes the AirPods, but doesn’t compete with my Audeze LCDi4s (which are wired) but I didn’t expect them to. For truly wireless earhanger earbuds which stay in my ears, these are keepers. Great battery life too. Charging case is a bit large, but I just put it in my backpack.

More later.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #29 of 337
The SQ smokes the AirPods, but doesn’t compete with my Audeze LCDi4s (which are wired) but I didn’t expect them to. For truly wireless earhanger earbuds which stay in my ears, these are keepers. Great battery life too. Charging case is a bit large, but I just put it in my backpack.

More later.

Where’s that report button?? Comparing wireless headphones to i4s is a crime that should be punishable, somehow. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I can’t wait till my set comes in this weekend. Cannot stand the AirPods sound, but love their convenience and battery life for doing phone calls and listening to podcasts. It’d be really nice to replace those with a set that has good isolation, too.

May 24, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #30 of 337
LOL. Enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back