Power Tools
Jan 28, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Then you know that Panasonic is, and has always been, a marketing company with no manufacturing capacity of its own. Odds are Panasonic branded drills are made by Hitachi to Panasonic's specifications.

Hi Old Pa,
No, I didn't know that Panasonic doesn't actually physically manufacture its cordless drills. Sorry if I misspoke. I guess I had it backwards, thanks for the info. When I stated "...I just did alot of research before buying mine" I was reffering to researching the drill, not necessarily the manufacturer. Sorry for any confusion.
wink.gif

As for Hitachi manufacturing them, that is very likely since Panasonic and Hitachi have a strategic partnership. Regardless who makes them I still believe (IMHO) that the Panasonic "badged" cordless drills are one of the best drills available.

Edit: It's interesting that the Hitachi branded drills I have seen and tried cost less and seem to be lower end models compared to the Panasonics.

Mar 2, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #19 of 20
Funny, I was just going to post a thread about help for power tools, but thought I'd do a search and found this thread- I don't think there's any place else like head-fi- whatever you want to know, you can find it here!

I've read through the thread, but was wondering if anyone has used some of the less expensive power tools, specifically table saws and compound miter saws. I'd love to get something like a P.C., Hitachi, or Bosch, but all I need to do is to install about 500 feet of laminate flooring, cut some trim, and cut some crown molding- after that I'd probably never use these tools again. I have a dewalt cordless circular saw to cut the laminate flooring with, but just think that a table saw would be much easier to work with and much more accurate. Has anyone here used some of the cheaper brands of table and miter saws like Delta, Craftsman, or Ryobi- Are they really as bad as some of the reviews that I've read, or do you think they'll do the job? Also, anyone know of what kind of blade is best for cutting laminate flooring? Would renting (if you can even rent these things) be a better alternative?

It's kind of crazy considering that I won't think twice about putting down $500 for a power cable, but now I'm trying not to spend $500 for a good saw! I guess that's what priorities are all about!

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry Tommyatkins for hijacking this thread, but you've brought all the experts together already!

Mar 2, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Then you know that Panasonic is, and has always been, a marketing company with no manufacturing capacity of its own. Odds are Panasonic branded drills are made by Hitachi to Panasonic's specifications.

This is completely untrue. Matsu****a (= Panasonic) is one of the largest manufacturers in Japan, making everything from nuclear power plants to small components.

Maybe the confusion comes from the fact that Matsu****a markets under other names such as "Panasonic" or "National."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back