Power Supply Schematic - STEPS or TREAD
Feb 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

scootsit

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I searched and couldn't seem to find it. I know Tangent removed the schematics for the STEPS and TREAD from his site, but does anyone still have the schematic? I'm trying to build an original Millet and need a power supply. Is there any other that you would recommend over the STEPS or TREAD?
Thanks a ton!

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 24
How very meta...
I was thinking the same thing.
Though, the overwhelming simplicity of the TREAD (or the similar σ 25) is appealing.
I was considering, that since I have no board and would be building this on protoboard, I might just increase the wattage of those resistors, instead of necessarily increasing their resistance.

Also, the TREAD is very appealing given Tangent's testing of the ripple.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 24
You can find the TREAD schematic in the lm317 datasheet, more or less. 

I don't think that the millet hybrid is really dependent on a super high quality power supply, so, just build an lm317 regulator on perfboard with a good, fast capacitor (oscon or similar solid polymer) on the output and the additional capacitor across the reference leg. 

Like i said, it's in the datasheet. or was it the application notes. At any rate, it's no secret. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 24
Almost done with my BOM over at Mouser. Last problem, Mouser won't sell the 1N521, which is the current regulator for the tubes, in quantities under 2500. Is there another part anyone knows of that works as well? I've seen some people using resistors, with mixed results. Others use a transistor/resistor. Anyone have any experience?

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #11 of 24
Here is a LED CCS to replace the CRD:

I hope that is enough information
A suitable LED would be 630-HLMP-D101 on mouser

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #13 of 24
Yes, you should match the transistors for best performance.
You can use a common LED between both channels.
If you use two LEDs, they will need to be matched as well.

Optionally, you can make R2 adjustable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back