Power Mains Setup
Apr 3, 2010 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

_Spanky_

500+ Head-Fier
My current setup is as follows:
Dedicated circuit breaker > ~10ft of Romex > outlet > Tripp-Lite Surge Protector/Strip > Isolation Transformer > DAC & Amp

Now, I also have my computer and monitors hooked to the Tripp-Lite strip. I use the isolation transformers because they were inexpensive on eBay and if nothing else, they provide another layer of fuses but, from what I understand, they should also isolate the component that's connected to it and minimize or eliminate DC in the line. I mostly use the Tripp-Lite strip for a convenient on/off switch for the whole setup when I'm away or sleeping. For it's surge value, I'm not too worried about lighting even though I live on the top of a hill with no trees and lightning does happen a decent amount around here.

Anyway, I'll get to my point:
Because of several high-consumption, especially starting up, devices (fridge/freezer, freezer, 2 AC units, water heater, well pump, etc) on the power line, I have been considering a voltage regulator for my computer and audio setup since, in both, I have invested a decent amount of money. In different locations around the house I have notice the lights dim whenever something comes on so I was looking at those APC AVR units but I was hoping for a couple more outlets. I found one of those Perma Power AVR-1200 which, although older, looks like an excellent unit and has almost twice the surge protector rating (and is also recommended from a fellow head-fi'er).

While I know there's a lot of speculation, I have a couple questions:
Would the APC AVR be a better choice?
Is there any disadvantage (in audio) to add the AVR vs going straight to the wall?
Would it be a bad idea to go wall > AVR > isolation transformer > component?

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 4
Bump
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 4
If we knew the answer we'd probably tell you
tongue.gif
you should definitely ask some other forums for advice because I don't think many of us have looked into power conditioning. I have read that you don't need to consider a voltage regulator unless your voltage is constantly fluctuating or more than ten volt away from 120V. If your power is stable, just get something from a reliable brand with under/over voltage shutdown and surge suppression.

If a freak event like this happens, you might wish you spent more than $30. Or maybe not, maybe you can collect insurance if a wiring fault does this to your home.

YouTube - Furman vs. a typical surge strip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back