Power Cord Recommendation
Apr 10, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also recommend the XLB-3 from ALEXcable. It simply destroys any stock cable made, and every comment he makes about it on his site is true. It will sound as if you put your system on steroids.

http://www.alexcable.netfirms.com/

That's an interesting site, do you own the xlb-3?

Apr 10, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #18 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this thread isn't my fault
biggrin.gif

Todd has a pretty basic looking one for $20- he claims its good. Thats probably the route I would go until I got to the point of tweaking. The only reason I have anything other than a standard cord is that it was included with something else I purchased, otherwise a power cord would have been the last thing I went looking for.

Oh yea! This is your doing!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #19 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's an interesting site, do you own the xlb-3?

Yes I do, and it's certainly not bland, boring, slow, with limited dynamics like most stock cables.

Apr 10, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #20 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I do, and it's certainly not bland, boring, slow, with limited dynamics like most stock cables.

You have the EMI filter too?

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #23 of 74
I have had good luck with these:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/xstream_power_punch.asp

These are well below your price limit and can sometimes be had for even less on Ebay.

Most things in audio are subject to the law of diminishing returns. At my level of price, I have found that at least a "first level" upgrade is worthwhile. I feel that sheilded cables are especially useful with digital components.

I don't know just how much you can better a system with ultra expensive cords, if I had ultra expensive equipment I would try to find out rather than just assume it doesn't matter.

Cables are part of the process of setting a system up properly and tweaking. This can be the equivalent of spending large sums on upgrades and can make the difference between being happy or unhappy with your set-up. It is sometimes more of an art than a science and a lot can depend on individual tastes. I will listen to persons with actual experience of whatever it is I am considering, rather than those who are opinionated but without specific, significant experience.

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #24 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mod please lock this thread because it's DBT in nature

Ok, how where did this take a turn?
rolleyes.gif
I only asked for power cables I could use with me amp!
frown.gif
One final newb question BEFORE this gets locked (?), is 18 AWG wire efficient at handling a 15 amp load? Or is 14 or 12 guage better and why?

Apr 14, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #25 of 74
Quote:

mod please lock this thread because it's DBT in nature

I've removed the off-topic thread crap and related posts. Please continue. It's advisable when this sort of thing happens to simply ignore the argumentative posts ( DON'T FEED THE TROLLS ) and immediately report them to a moderator. That'll keep the thread on topic and with some continuity when the offending posts are deleted.

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #28 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, how where did this take a turn?
rolleyes.gif
I only asked for power cables I could use with me amp!
frown.gif
One final newb question BEFORE this gets locked (?), is 18 AWG wire efficient at handling a 15 amp load? Or is 14 or 12 guage better and why?

If the cable is too thick it will sound too heavy and muddy. If the cable is too thin it will sound thin and lifeless with lack of dynamics. In both cases there is a reduction of detail, but with the thinner cable the reduction in detail isn't as big, because the detail gets more apparent if the bass is removed.

I like the sound of 16 awg wrapped in ERS Paper, it has the same heaviness as 12 awg without ERS, but with more detail.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #29 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend the Iron Lung Jelly Fish just as good as some of the big name cords, and only cost $29 for 2
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowmagnet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Power cord, 6ft, black: $2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had good luck with these:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/xstream_power_punch.asp

These are well below your price limit and can sometimes be had for even less on Ebay.

Most things in audio are subject to the law of diminishing returns. At my level of price, I have found that at least a "first level" upgrade is worthwhile. I feel that sheilded cables are especially useful with digital components.

I don't know just how much you can better a system with ultra expensive cords, if I had ultra expensive equipment I would try to find out rather than just assume it doesn't matter.

Cables are part of the process of setting a system up properly and tweaking. This can be the equivalent of spending large sums on upgrades and can make the difference between being happy or unhappy with your set-up. It is sometimes more of an art than a science and a lot can depend on individual tastes. I will listen to persons with actual experience of whatever it is I am considering, rather than those who are opinionated but without specific, significant experience.

these are the only power cords i'll comment on because these are the three in this topic that i own. i heard pretty much no difference between the three but i kept the ps audio cable because it's shielded and looks prettier than the other two. i was pretty vigorous with my tests; the same 6 minute track on repeat for a few days. it consisted of "nuthin but a g thang" by dr. dre, "jump" by van halen, and a clip of me messing around with my crash cymbals and hihats (the former on a shure sm57, and the hihats were on an omnidirectional mic). the separation of the bass drum and the synthesized bass guitar on dr. dre song was a bit better on the ps audio cable. that's it. don't buy anything more expensive than the monoprice cable unless you just want to be comfortable with your gear and not question yourself. the ps audio cable is absolutely solidly built, and was less prone to twisting than the other two cables.

again, i repeat: pretty much the only reason to spend more than the monoprice is convenience and comfort. until i am positive i won't change my amp and phones for a very long time i won't mess with my power cord. powerline conditioning is worth it though: i'm buying this little bugger soon. more to protect from spikes and such than an audible difference, but ps audio stuff removes pretty much all ac noise, which is comforting. i hear shunyata makes quality powerline conditioning stuff too. ask patrick for more info on ps audio, he's already fried 2 premier power plants and is on his third one now. lots of experience.

whatever you do, don't worry yourself about this kind of stuff; it's just a little spice on top of your audio pizza. i hope you enjoy the opera a lot. :)

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #30 of 74
Shielded Volex 17604 should be better than unshielded Iron Lung Jelly Fish if you use it around computer or other equipment. CARLTON-BATES is the cheapest place to get them ($9 a piece).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back