Postgrad-Fi.
Feb 25, 2010 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Duggeh

Indeed
Before I begin I want to apologise for the thread title, I'm not personally fond of the ubiquity of the -fi suffix, however it seems to have become the established recognition nomenclature for topic-based-threads.

I was curious to see how many people here might be postgraduate students. A large part of the userbase on this forum are students for certain. Polls about universities, education, age, areas of interest all point clearly to this.

I recognise from the outset the differences between the structure of postgraduate education in the U.S.A. (where most head-fiers reside) and the rest of the world (where those of us with money which comes in more than one colour (and who spell colour with a U) live.

What university are you with? Did you do your undergraduate degree there? Are you a PhD or M.Res? (or other) What subject are you working under? What is your proposed area of research? Is your supervisior someone we might have heard of?

Lets see what the research map of Head-Fi looks like.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm at The University of St. Andrews, studying for a PhD in Social Anthropology. My supervisor is Prof Nigel Rapport. My research area is the doctor/patient relationship in general practice.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 54
I'm at the University of Kansas. I'm actually finishing up my undergrad degree this semester while also beginning coursework and research for my masters. Both degrees are in electrical engineering. I'm going to focus in fiber optic communications.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 54
University of Toronto, EE (Canada) in SC/EM. Did my undergrad here and still here for my postgraduate degree though this is as far as I will divulge. :]

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 54
B.A. in psychology from San Francisco State University. Currently getting a masters in developmental psychology (plan to graduate this Spring) at San Francisco State. Applied to several schools for educational psychology PhD.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 54
I'm at Georgetown getting a JD (law degree) and an LLM in taxation.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #8 of 54
I'm, at Univ. Alaska Fairbanks working on a Master's in Engineering Management (expecting to finish in May!), and concurrent enrollment to do a Ph.D. in Permafrost Engineering which I've kinda put on the back-burner so I can finish the Master's first. Completing it all at the same school I got my undergrad Electrical Engineering degree at.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 54
PGCE, (which doesn't really count, I grant you). Completed just this year.

Technically, I am also registered onto a further year of MEd part time, but teaching is a BUSY job.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #10 of 54
Working on my PhD in mechanical engineering, metallurgy to be precise. No one's taken me up on my offer to examine burn in under microscope yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Working on my PhD in mechanical engineering, metallurgy to be precise. No one's taken me up on my offer to examine burn in under microscope yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait, you want someone to pay you to look at burn-in? Good luck with that.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 54
Master of Science in Mathematical Finance

however, given my success in the program (read: poor), I will probably go back into public accounting after I complete the degree :/

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadhead12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, you want someone to pay you to look at burn-in? Good luck with that.

No no, I meant I have access to electron microscopes and am willing to look at stuff under the lens. As long as it's metallic and relatively small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back