Post Your Photography Here #2
Aug 19, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #14,101 of 15,763
Back from the dead! 

Recent ponderings:

How many of you guys enjoy bokeh in your photos and why? 

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #14,102 of 15,763
  Back from the dead! 

Recent ponderings:

Hola!

It's the main reason I stay with full frame DSLRs.

My slowest lens is the 70-200 f/2.8. Apart from that, I never shoot at apertures smaller than f/2. There's just a 3D quality I enjoy in a photo with sharp in-focus areas, surrounded by areas falling out of focus

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #14,103 of 15,763

Hola!

It's the main reason I stay with full frame DSLRs.

My slowest lens is the 70-200 f/2.8. Apart from that, I never shoot at apertures smaller than f/2. There's just a 3D quality I enjoy in a photo with sharp in-focus areas, surrounded by areas falling out of focus

I ventured into mirrorless in the last few years - at first because of lower cost of upgrade, and then later because of the versatility and portability.  Still, I miss the accurate and fast autofocus of DSLRs.  

Although I can still do bokeh on my mirrorless, the focusing for moving subjects has trained me to shoot with f/4 or higher almost always to reduce out of focus shots.

What projects have you got going on these days?

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #14,104 of 15,763

I ventured into mirrorless in the last few years - at first because of lower cost of upgrade, and then later because of the versatility and portability.  Still, I miss the accurate and fast autofocus of DSLRs.  

Although I can still do bokeh on my mirrorless, the focusing for moving subjects has trained me to shoot with f/4 or higher almost always to reduce out of focus shots.

What projects have you got going on these days?

I can't remember the last time I shot at f/4. Plus, it'll be f/6 or so DoF on APS-C sensors. 

Oh, I've been busy. You can kind of see the latest stuff here:

www.kachieke.com

I'd love any feedback you have on the site.

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #14,105 of 15,763
  How do you guys get the photos large on here? To fill the post? Can't suss it out :frowning2: 

Right-click on your photo, select "Image Properties" and enter a value for width.

Plus SPP with anything Merrill or above is an absolute nightmare. It takes a solid 5 seconds to see the effect of moving a slider, and this is with my hyper-threaded quad core machine. Night. Mare.

Thankfully upgrading to SPP 6.4. has made things a lot faster for me with Merrill RAWs, even on my measly i5.

www.kachieke.com

Congrats, great photos and site!
smile_phones.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #14,106 of 15,763
Not for the faint at heart...
wink.gif
...shot while leaning out on top of an overhanging rock face [1], while the paraglider was passing by underneath:

[1] Something like this.... (Sigma DP1 Merrill. Warning: original size is 9MB!)

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #14,108 of 15,763
  Back from the dead! 

Recent ponderings:

Good to see you :)  I also ventured into mirrorless. I love the size and convenience for street photography etc, haven't really looked back. It's rare I want bokeh for my style but as you say its easy enough with mirrorless anyways. My panasonic 50mm 1.7 is quite creamy!

My kit these days is two Olympus EM-5 bodies (sold OM1 as I didn't think it was any better) and 3 lenses. 15mm, 28mm, 50mm, (in 35mm equiv) I also own a Fuji X100 which I use for portraits. Yes its 35mm equivalent, but I like this amount of distortion to play with.  

So.. I can fit my whole kit into a smallish camera bag. Much better than humping around two DSLR bodies and large lenses. 

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #14,109 of 15,763

Bali Today

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #14,110 of 15,763

I can't remember the last time I shot at f/4. Plus, it'll be f/6 or so DoF on APS-C sensors. 

www.kachieke.com

I don't shoot weddings (yet). but it seems that your subjects are always at ease with you.  That is an excellent asset as a photographer.  Great job!  I have no doubt that they will be happy with your photos.

Also, you should add an "About" section to talk a little about yourself, and hot-link your instagram link and email.  It is helpful for prospective clients to know a little about you, your experience, and where your work has been featured, etc.

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #14,111 of 15,763
  Good to see you :)  I also ventured into mirrorless. I love the size and convenience for street photography etc, haven't really looked back. It's rare I want bokeh for my style but as you say its easy enough with mirrorless anyways. My panasonic 50mm 1.7 is quite creamy!

My kit these days is two Olympus EM-5 bodies (sold OM1 as I didn't think it was any better) and 3 lenses. 15mm, 28mm, 50mm, (in 35mm equiv) I also own a Fuji X100 which I use for portraits. Yes its 35mm equivalent, but I like this amount of distortion to play with.  

So.. I can fit my whole kit into a smallish camera bag. Much better than humping around two DSLR bodies and large lenses. 

Good to see you too David!  

No experience with the Micro 4/3rds system here, but I definitely love mirrorless for their portability.  

I adore the Fuji cameras.  The controls are intuitive and has an excellent analogue control layout, and the colour rendering is gorgeous.  This saves me alot of time when I edit the photos.

Currently shooting with a Fuji X-T1 90% of the time.  My Sony A7 collects dust despite its technical prowess; I just find no joy in using it.  
If you haven't already, I highly recommend trying out the X-Pro2.  It may suit your style of photography quite well.  The images had significantly more discernible detail than my 24MP full frame A7.

Here's the one I borrowed:

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #14,112 of 15,763

Good to see you too David!  

No experience with the Micro 4/3rds system here, but I definitely love mirrorless for their portability.  

I adore the Fuji cameras.  The controls are intuitive and has an excellent analogue control layout, and the colour rendering is gorgeous.  This saves me alot of time when I edit the photos.

Currently shooting with a Fuji X-T1 90% of the time.  My Sony A7 collects dust despite its technical prowess; I just find no joy in using it.  
If you haven't already, I highly recommend trying out the X-Pro2.  It may suit your style of photography quite well.  The images had significantly more discernible detail than my 24MP full frame A7.

Here's the one I borrowed:

Great stuff. I would love to be all Fuji, as I also think their cameras are amazing. The X pro2 looks fantastic and I've read a few reviews of it. Its out of my price range for now so I could only go for the pro1 at present. I've also owned the X1, X2 as well as my current X100 and I haven't got anything bad to say about them. The lay-out, style and pic quality is fantastic. The only thing that doesn't compare to my Olympus is the AF speed. The Oly's are fantastic in this regard. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #14,113 of 15,763

Thankfully upgrading to SPP 6.4. has made things a lot faster for me with Merrill RAWs, even on my measly i5.

Oh boy... now I'm tempted to find a used dp2m again...

I don't shoot weddings (yet). but it seems that your subjects are always at ease with you.  That is an excellent asset as a photographer.  Great job!  I have no doubt that they will be happy with your photos.

Also, you should add an "About" section to talk a little about yourself, and hot-link your instagram link and email.  It is helpful for prospective clients to know a little about you, your experience, and where your work has been featured, etc.

Thanks!

I don't have much of a portfolio yet, since I'm still in school. I'll try to submit more weddings to blogs though.

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #14,115 of 15,763
@james444

@eke2k6

What about that new sD Quattro?

Also, I am toying with the idea of getting an older Canon 1Ds Mk3 body for my Canon lenses (50 f/1.4 and 135 f/2), but not too sure right now.  
What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back