Post Your Photography Here #2
Aug 18, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #14,087 of 15,769
Sigma DP1 (the most quirky but my most loved camera of all time) 

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #14,088 of 15,769
  Sigma DP1 (the most quirky but my most loved camera of all time) 

I know exactly what you're talking about, lol. 
wink.gif

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #14,090 of 15,769

I know exactly what you're talking about, lol. 
wink.gif

I am not sure what it is about that camera but at times it produces images in my opinion on par if not exceeding the Canon EOS 5D series... which is pretty shocking considering the camera is very small using a CMOS (Foveon X3) sensor. Not only that it has 5 mega pixels... of course the technology in the sensor is different which can be misleading regarding the pixels, but still, very impressive. Everything else about the camera is really morbid though, the ISO noise (100 ISO is pretty much the only mode you can shoot), only goes down to F4.0, horrifically slow and and takes forever to load in between pictures and the colors are usually out of whack, and the battery drains so fast, oh and it doesn't stop there, the focusing zooms back and forth until it finally manages to lock on, making a horrible loud noise. Still... I love the damn thing 
biggrin.gif
. Either way I can't wait to buy the DP2 Merrill, next on my shopping list. Cheers. 

Here is a color version, a bit underexposed 

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #14,092 of 15,769

I am not sure what it is about that camera but at times it produces images in my opinion on par if not exceeding the Canon EOS 5D series... which is pretty shocking considering the camera is very small using a CMOS (Foveon X3) sensor. Not only that it has 5 mega pixels... of course the technology in the sensor is different which can be misleading regarding the pixels, but still, very impressive. Everything else about the camera is really morbid though, the ISO noise (100 ISO is pretty much the only mode you can shoot), only goes down to F4.0, horrifically slow and and takes forever to load in between pictures and the colors are usually out of whack, and the battery drains so fast, oh and it doesn't stop there, the focusing zooms back and forth until it finally manages to lock on, making a horrible loud noise. Still... I love the damn thing 
biggrin.gif
. Either way I can't wait to buy the DP2 Merrill, next on my shopping list. Cheers. 

Here is a color version, a bit underexposed 

I'm not sure how you shoot, but I went the same way as you...DP1s, then got the DP2m. It's a pretty sad existence not being able to shoot above ISO 400. The images are remarkably sharp, yes, but half of that sharpness comes from the processing in SPP. My DP2M went to f/2.8, but because of the APS-C sized sensor, the DoF was only f/4. 

I would personally put that DP2M money towards a X100S. The feature set is far better, and you can actually shoot past 6pm. Plus SPP with anything Merrill or above is an absolute nightmare. It takes a solid 5 seconds to see the effect of moving a slider, and this is with my hyper-threaded quad core machine. Night. Mare. Even exporting the files to TIFF is a race not won by the swift, but those who can endure.

Again, the Sigma sensors are out of this world, but I'm still waiting for a camera body and processor worthy of them. I'm slightly curious about the new APS-H SD-Quattro they just announced though.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #14,093 of 15,769

I'm not sure how you shoot, but I went the same way as you...DP1s, then got the DP2m. It's a pretty sad existence not being able to shoot above ISO 400. The images are remarkably sharp, yes, but half of that sharpness comes from the processing in SPP. My DP2M went to f/2.8, but because of the APS-C sized sensor, the DoF was only f/4. 

I would personally put that DP2M money towards a X100S. The feature set is far better, and you can actually shoot past 6pm. Plus SPP with anything Merrill or above is an absolute nightmare. It takes a solid 5 seconds to see the effect of moving a slider, and this is with my hyper-threaded quad core machine. Night. Mare. Even exporting the files to TIFF is a race not won by the swift, but those who can endure.

Again, the Sigma sensors are out of this world, but I'm still waiting for a camera body and processor worthy of them. I'm slightly curious about the new APS-H SD-Quattro they just announced though.

Unfortunately the features and functionality of the Sigma cameras are poor and the post-processing software is also troublesome. I can totally relate with all the things you mentioned, though I would still rather buy a DP2M over the X100S. The primary reason being I already have cameras that have equal if not superior features and options than the X100S but none that have that special feel and result of the Foveon sensor. Also I do not use SPP when editing and working with the RAW files from the DP1. Try out the software "Silky Pix Developer" I find this software superior in every way to SPP. It takes some time and patience to get familiar and comfortable with but it truly is an amazing tool to use with the Sigma files. It is nothing like Adobe photoshop/lightroom though, so you have my warning 
wink.gif
. I would also like to see a Sigma camera with the functionality and feature set of the competition, that would truly be something to behold, perhaps the new APS-H quattro you mentioned will be closer to that. Though as a guy who still shoots film and uses his darkroom, I kind of don't mind the quirkiness of using only low ISO ranges and long processing times, I dare to say that it is kind of a frustrating but rewarding experience that adds to the challenge of photography. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #14,096 of 15,769

Unfortunately the features and functionality of the Sigma cameras are poor and the post-processing software is also troublesome. I can totally relate with all the things you mentioned, though I would still rather buy a DP2M over the X100S. The primary reason being I already have cameras that have equal if not superior features and options than the X100S but none that have that special feel and result of the Foveon sensor. Also I do not use SPP when editing and working with the RAW files from the DP1. Try out the software "Silky Pix Developer" I find this software superior in every way to SPP. It takes some time and patience to get familiar and comfortable with but it truly is an amazing tool to use with the Sigma files. It is nothing like Adobe photoshop/lightroom though, so you have my warning 
wink.gif
. I would also like to see a Sigma camera with the functionality and feature set of the competition, that would truly be something to behold, perhaps the new APS-H quattro you mentioned will be closer to that. Though as a guy who still shoots film and uses his darkroom, I kind of don't mind the quirkiness of using only low ISO ranges and long processing times, I dare to say that it is kind of a frustrating but rewarding experience that adds to the challenge of photography. 

Problem is, SPP is the only developer that works with Merrill and above files. Trust me, I tried everything haha.

I guess if the workflow and limitations aren't a hindrance, go for it!

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #14,098 of 15,769
  alright guys so i decided on the rx100 for its size.

Now the problem is.  I found a iii for 600 brand new with warranty and a used iv for 650 no warranty.   which would you guys get?

I don't think there is much difference between the models in regards to picture quality (just fine tuning and shooting speed) and I'd even be happy with the first rx100. If this is a long term investment then I'd go with the brand new model to get the warranty etc. But I've not owned a camera for longer than 6 months up to now.. :/ 

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #14,099 of 15,769
How do you guys get the photos large on here? To fill the post? Can't suss it out :frowning2: 

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #14,100 of 15,769
  I don't think there is much difference between the models in regards to picture quality (just fine tuning and shooting speed) and I'd even be happy with the first rx100. If this is a long term investment then I'd go with the brand new model to get the warranty etc. But I've not owned a camera for longer than 6 months up to now.. :/ 

yeah I know, not much of a difference in performance but just wanted to get an opinion on what to do.

Funny that you said you would get the original rx100.  I found one that I can probably get away with paying 100-150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back