Post Your Photography Here #2
Feb 20, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #13,006 of 15,766

Hopefully your decision had nothing to do with our feedback. 
wink.gif

I was wondering what you'd end up with. Looking forward to your next series... 
smile_phones.gif

Ha, not really. the 35mm just felt way too wide.

I honestly miss the Sigma. I could live with using the camera, but Sigma Photo Pro made me want to strangle myself.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #13,007 of 15,766

Sigma Photo Pro made me want to strangle myself.

Same thing with Sony-supplied RAW converter.
Just as frustrating is my Sony A7R's atrocious AF speed/accuracy in low light and slow-as-mud procedures to do most things manually, e.g. change AF focus point.  Just annoying, but I guess I'm stuck with Sony as long as there are no other small, portable full-frame options (hear me, Canon?)

Sauron

15971439704_f0bdf49df8_b.jpg

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #13,009 of 15,766
Portrait photography is something that admittedly I'm not really into, nor can I see myself getting into. Don't ask me why... Maybe I'm sick of the sight of humans haha - they're bloody everywhere!

The only portrait pics that I appreciate are either spontaneous (when they don't know they are being photographed) and ofcourse loved ones (see below)

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #13,010 of 15,766
Portrait photography is something that admittedly I'm not really into, nor can I see myself getting into. Don't ask me why... Maybe I'm sick of the sight of humans haha - they're bloody everywhere!

The only portrait pics that I appreciate are either spontaneous (when they don't know they are being photographed) and ofcourse loved ones (see below)

There are so many ways to photograph people. For you the photographs of your son will take on more value as time goes on.

If your not into portraits just do unstaged casual shots that don't take a lot of effort. I'm not into special lighting and put very little concentration in the shots, still fun.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #13,012 of 15,766

That's rather gorgeous. I went through some more of your flickr gallery, and it's full of outstanding and inspiring stuff. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #13,013 of 15,766
There are so many ways to photograph people. For you the photographs of your son will take on more value as time goes on.

If your not into portraits just do unstaged casual shots that don't take a lot of effort. I'm not into special lighting and put very little concentration in the shots, still fun.

Next weekend I've been asked to do a 50th wedding anniversary, my first photo job haha, I'll see how I get on. Obviously this is not related to portrait photography but it will be a test on my skills on shooting folk and hopefully a good learning curve. The pressure is on!

I've got a faster lens than my 18-105 coming and I won't be using a flash. The venue is well lit with big windows (its daytime) so I'm hoping it should be ok.  

Any other advice from you lovely folk will be appreciated

Decisions, decisions...

Like it! Did you go right? 
eek.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #13,014 of 15,766
Next weekend I've been asked to do a 50th wedding anniversary, my first photo job haha, I'll see how I get on. Obviously this is not related to portrait photography but it will be a test on my skills on shooting folk and hopefully a good learning curve. The pressure is on!

I've got a faster lens than my 18-105 coming and I won't be using a flash. The venue is well lit with big windows (its daytime) so I'm hoping it should be ok.  

Any other advice from you lovely folk will be appreciated

Like it! Did you go right? :eek:  

Not having to use a flash is such a joy. I remember renting a giant side belt hanging box flash that was about 15Ibs. I thought I would get more than 12 flashes out of the unit. I left my back-up flash in the car. Lucky the sun was setting and I had just enough light to still get the award shots without a flash. My lesson was to never use equipment that I'm not familiar with on an important shoot.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #13,015 of 15,766
Not having to use a flash is such a joy. I remember renting a giant side belt hanging box flash that was about 15Ibs. I thought I would get more than 12 flashes out of the unit. I left my back-up flash in the car. Lucky the sun was setting and I had just enough light to still get the award shots without a flash. My lesson was to never use equipment that I'm not familiar with on an important shoot.

Wow that is heavy!

My new lens has come this morning (Sigma 2.8 17-55) and after playing with it a bit, I think I should be ok. Shot my son running around inside with wide aperture and ISO as little as 400 and I'm not getting blur.

I'm also liking the focal isolation I can easily get now.

(all unprocessed)

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #13,016 of 15,766
Wow that is heavy!

My new lens has come this morning (Sigma 2.8 17-55) and after playing with it a bit, I think I should be ok. Shot my son running around inside with wide aperture and ISO as little as 400 and I'm not getting blur.

I'm also liking the focal isolation I can easily get now.

(all unprocessed)

It's not the Sigma 2.8 17mm to 50 mm?
In the mid eighties faster f stops were a big deal as you only had ASA 100 or ASA 400 film, most times. Today we can flip an ISO setting and get " different film " easy. I know you like having a reduced DOF, but is the Sigma very close to your kit lens that came with the camera, the Nikon DX 18mm to 55mm?

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #13,017 of 15,766
Sigma 17-50 mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HS

A fixed 2.8?

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #13,018 of 15,766
Sigma 17-50 mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HS

A fixed 2.8?

yes yes my mistake its the Sigma 17-50 fixed 2.8

My kit lens was the 18-105. I hear what you are saying about the similarities with a standard zoom. But I've done a lot of research on this lens and I can tell quite a difference in quality already. My Nikkor was way too slow indoors for moving kids without having at least 1600 ISO at wide open. The D90 starts to get noisy after 800 ISO... The DOF is much better at fixed especially at 50mm in comparison and I can get real close to subjects now and I couldn't with the Nikon.

All my photos are in the wide to 50mm range so I'm not gonna miss the extra length and plan to get a 70-300vr later down the line for the summer. I'm keeping the 18-105 however as I think it is a very good - versatile lens for the money plus they don't sell for much. I'll probs be upgrading to the D7000 before long and so my d90 will be a back up with kit lens.

I'll post some pics soon as I've just been out giving it a spin :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back