Post Your Photography Here #2
Jun 14, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #14,011 of 15,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillaxing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for all the suggestions guys.  The sony would be great but i would mind something like the canon g series.  I like physical buttons and wheels over touchscreen.

In the post-Fuji X30 world I honestly don't see much of a point in the G-series, if at least the ones with optical viewfinders.* While they have less parallax being on top of the lens vs the top-left on the X100, X10, and X20 (and rangefinders), at the price point of the current G-series cams, the X30 can usually be had for a bit less (plus pocket-sized Lumix cams with EVFs). If anything, the only real downsides are battery life and service.

Still, you'd want spare batteries anyway, and packing two chargers and four batteries isn't that much harder given you can keep the chargers with your luggage. As for servicing, it depends on the area - some metropolitan areas like high-density mega-cities in Asia have multiple Canon (and Nikon) service centers or drop-off stores, whereas Fuji in Manila for example has one service center and just a bunch of drop-off points. That said, if you don't live in a high density area to begin with, much less that you're not a pro looking to get your gear fixed stat (much less have your gear exposed to more dangers to begin with, like weather sealed gear still taking a 2sec dive into a river, but then that's why I included the TG-4), then that's not necessarily something you can take advantage of anyway.

Be on the lookout for deals on MILCs though, some even those with built-in EVFs can be available for a lot less money online, the only thing you'll have to consider is whether the kit lens has the focal range you need and whether the one that does (whether you have to buy it or it comes with it) isn't too large for what you'd want to carry. They're generally bulkier still but you never know, the price could be right for you. If anything, m4/3 has powered zoom lenses that collapse into a pancake when switched off (but dont wobble unlike older, manual collapsibles), and the only advantage of the fixed lens cams is a wider aperture, which a larger sensor can compensate for by upping the sensitivity anyway while keeping the noise levels lower.

*I really can't do without one. There are only two situations where I would think that even a simpler optical viewfinder with HUD that includes parallax compensation (X100x, X20) or rangefinders, and that is when you are taking a group shot with limited space (hence you can't gamble on parallax cutting out somebody on either edge) and when taking HDRs. The reality though is that in the first situation you're likely using a flash anyway as most such situations are parties in low light (like wedding receptions), so the shutter at least will be fast enough that unstable hands aren't a problem. In the second, as much as it's useful for HDR in showing a simulation of the exposure (and some cams even highlight the overexposed areas, so you can more easily see if you've covered the entire range), if you're doing that HDR with the light (ie, the sun is smack behind or above you), you're not going to see anything in the LCD. At best it can highlight the overexposed areas, but under sunlight it's still a PITA vs electronic viewfinders.

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #14,012 of 15,761

In the post-Fuji X30 world I honestly don't see much of a point in the G-series, if at least the ones with optical viewfinders.* While they have less parallax being on top of the lens vs the top-left on the X100, X10, and X20 (and rangefinders), at the price point of the current G-series cams, the X30 can usually be had for a bit less (plus pocket-sized Lumix cams with EVFs). If anything, the only real downsides are battery life and service.

Still, you'd want spare batteries anyway, and packing two chargers and four batteries isn't that much harder given you can keep the chargers with your luggage. As for servicing, it depends on the area - some metropolitan areas like high-density mega-cities in Asia have multiple Canon (and Nikon) service centers or drop-off stores, whereas Fuji in Manila for example has one service center and just a bunch of drop-off points. That said, if you don't live in a high density area to begin with, much less that you're not a pro looking to get your gear fixed stat (much less have your gear exposed to more dangers to begin with, like weather sealed gear still taking a 2sec dive into a river, but then that's why I included the TG-4), then that's not necessarily something you can take advantage of anyway.

Be on the lookout for deals on MILCs though, some even those with built-in EVFs can be available for a lot less money online, the only thing you'll have to consider is whether the kit lens has the focal range you need and whether the one that does (whether you have to buy it or it comes with it) isn't too large for what you'd want to carry. They're generally bulkier still but you never know, the price could be right for you. If anything, m4/3 has powered zoom lenses that collapse into a pancake when switched off (but dont wobble unlike older, manual collapsibles), and the only advantage of the fixed lens cams is a wider aperture, which a larger sensor can compensate for by upping the sensitivity anyway while keeping the noise levels lower.

*I really can't do without one. There are only two situations where I would think that even a simpler optical viewfinder with HUD that includes parallax compensation (X100x, X20) or rangefinders, and that is when you are taking a group shot with limited space (hence you can't gamble on parallax cutting out somebody on either edge) and when taking HDRs. The reality though is that in the first situation you're likely using a flash anyway as most such situations are parties in low light (like wedding receptions), so the shutter at least will be fast enough that unstable hands aren't a problem. In the second, as much as it's useful for HDR in showing a simulation of the exposure (and some cams even highlight the overexposed areas, so you can more easily see if you've covered the entire range), if you're doing that HDR with the light (ie, the sun is smack behind or above you), you're not going to see anything in the LCD. At best it can highlight the overexposed areas, but under sunlight it's still a PITA vs electronic viewfinders.

Thanks for all your help.  

Theres a lot I got to read up on and compare.  i will update on what I get and post some pics.  Its been over 10yrs since I've done any real photographing except for my phone and some of my friends rigs.  Hoping this will bring back the bug.

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #14,015 of 15,761
Just to chime in about a small/light travel camera kit. I went through the same dilemma, where I didn't wan to haul my Canon 1D Mark II or 5D Mark III (and lenses) around while traveling. That kind of setup gets heavy after a while and your shoulder would really feel it, not to mention whipping out a big camera with big lenses like that draws too much attention out in public, and when you need to shoot one-handed, it's extremely tiring and unstable. 

I tried many alternatives such as high-end compact cameras and smartphones, but they were simply disappointing in image quality (especially in low light and contrasty scenes that require high dynamic range). 

Eventually, I found the solution in Micro Four Thirds system. I new shoot an Olympus E-M1 while traveling. The 12-40 f/2.8 Pro lens is great (24-80 f/5.6 equivalent), and the 25 f/1.4 and 45 f/1.8 are so tiny and light that both of them together is still smaller and lighter than your average lens, so I just toss both into bag and travel with a very light and small kit. The image quality is roughly equivalent to APS-C cameras, so it's definitely good enough (maybe one stop of difference in low light). I use a holster styled top-loading bag, so it's extremely small and convenient. With the E-M1 and the three lenses, the whole thing is unbelievably light and small, yet the result is far superior than using compact cameras or smartphones with tiny sensors. 

While there are compact cameras with 1" sensors or m43 sensors, you get just the one lens that's attached. Since m43 lenses are so tiny and light, you might as well just get a camera body that allows you to change lenses.

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #14,016 of 15,761
I recently got a Sony A7II and Sony/Zeiss Sonnar T FE 55mm F1.8 lens. These photos were in RAW format and processed using Capture One Pro. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #14,017 of 15,761

One Point Two Megapixel at ISO 1000

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #14,019 of 15,761
It was time to break-out the 1.4.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #14,020 of 15,761

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #14,021 of 15,761

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #14,023 of 15,761

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #14,024 of 15,761

Still finding inspiration with this the last couple days?

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #14,025 of 15,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back