post your grado mods....
May 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2,976 of 8,992
^the magnum v5's are the bees knees!

May 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #2,977 of 8,992
Hi I wanted to share something which to me a significant improvement with my MS2i.

I first read about the "blue tac" thing on the RS2 and above that helps to improve focus and cut down resonant.
I tried sticking a piece of felt on the back of the drivers (not blocking the holes of course) but to be honest I didn't feel any difference.

For some reason, I bought some "black tac" which is softer and more stretchy then the blue one. I tried removing the felt and replace it with the black tac. Interestingly, there is really an improvement. The sound is tighter especially the treble and it seems to tam the bright sound that some who said it's too bright. With the improvement, I flatten the black tac into a small disc to stick onto the driver and at the same time stick some on the cable to make it look closer to Grado original :)

I have been watching article about wood cup on the RS1/2 and how wood use as driver shell on PS1000/500 improve sound by cutting down resonant and vibration to give it a tighter sound, improve definition.

So, the key word I pick up was "reduce resonant and vibration", "tighter sound, definition". My MS2i has metal case but plastic shell that hold the driver. If the PS1000/500 has metal case but use wood for the driver I can try to reduce resonant/vibration too.

I spread a very thin (very thin!) layer of black tac on the wall of the plastic driver shell so the entire wall is now spread with a layer of black tac evenly. The purpose is to act as insulating material to absorb resonant/vibration. Again, I can confidently said it does improve quite a bit and previously when I A/B with my HD650 which is very smooth sounding the mids in the MS2i seems a little coarse again the HD650 and the bass while good is not as focus as the HD650. All these feeling are gone after the mod. Now when I A/B the 2, I cannot tell which is better but 2 headphones with different signature and same performance league. It is now way ahead of the SRH840 which I previously might something prefer the SRH840. The MS2i is smooth, clean and did I say smooth?

Try it! I managed to do a good mod to a pair of HD449 base on my experience with MS2i mod. I feel my conquest of headphones is finally over with my current inventory each with a purpose.

See you guys :)

May 3, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #2,978 of 8,992
my sr60i with bamboo cup

May 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #2,979 of 8,992
Sexy, did u make those?

May 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2,980 of 8,992

My current Magnum V5 build!

I will be posting up pics of my Martin custom audio cups soon!

May 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #2,982 of 8,992
Sony MDR-NC7, it wasn't comfy so I rocked a Beyer pad with it to make it tolerable...

May 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #2,984 of 8,992
Just shook free of some work projects and started to work on my 225s again...so why not start with an all aluminum build. Too bad I programmed it in wrong and wound up with the wrong inner dimensions. Not too far from what I expected on my first try.
biggrin.gif

DSC_0331.JPG

May 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #2,985 of 8,992
^ sexy also, you should anodize your cups when you finish... black maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back