post your grado mods....
Jun 25, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #7,216 of 8,992
oh by the way, would a hard dryer work better than boiling water?

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #7,217 of 8,992
how does one ho about doing a "reverse image search"?

Using Chrome browser, right-click on the image and select "Search Google for image".

This won't work for recent or new images, since reverse image searches work by running the image past an image cache that is growing daily.

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #7,220 of 8,992
Using Chrome browser, right-click on the image and select "Search Google for image".

This won't work for recent or new images, since reverse image searches work by running the image past an image cache that is growing daily.

ok got it, thanks!

I use a hair dryer as I don't think water and electronics are a good mix.

im dealing purely with the cups. drivers and all other electronics have been removed already.

I think the rings came off with no damage but I didn't plan to reuse them so I trashed them.

ok, got it. will try again. thanks!

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #7,221 of 8,992
oh by the way, would a hard dryer work better than boiling water?

I've had to soak the cups in the hot water for a few minutes before the glue started to soften enough to be pulled apart.

If using the hair dryer be careful not to damage the driver membrane, I usually place the driver on a table to prevent the hot air from directly hitting the membrane and placing some covering over the grill to also keep the hot air out.

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #7,223 of 8,992
i just tried again now paired with oppo ha-2 dac. bass was there and it is very punchy. maybe my initial source cannot drive the rs1 driver.

I've been using dynamat and sorbothane to tune my Grado headphone and those with alternate drivers like the SennGrado. 

I added dynamat to the cups of my MDR-1A and it tightened up the bass and keeps it from becoming muddy.  I was first introduced to sorbothane in the HE-400 thread but the original idea to use it came from a poster in the SR-009 thread.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #7,224 of 8,992
I just added wooden cups to my SR60e cans and really liked the outcome.  I am thinking about buying a lathe and want to ask if anyone think there is still a market for wooden cups?  I was just curious if it would be possible to recoup some of my cost. I have a background in mechanical engineering and have been doing woodworking as a hobby for a number of years and just can't keep from wanting to dive into the world of modding headphones but don't want to drown in doing so.

Thanks for any responses...

-Retox

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #7,225 of 8,992
  I just added wooden cups to my SR60e cans and really liked the outcome.  I am thinking about buying a lathe and want to ask if anyone think there is still a market for wooden cups?  I was just curious if it would be possible to recoup some of my cost. I have a background in mechanical engineering and have been doing woodworking as a hobby for a number of years and just can't keep from wanting to dive into the world of modding headphones but don't want to drown in doing so.

Thanks for any responses...

-Retox

Hard to say, I've bought 6 over the last 2 years but I don't see my self getting anymore unless I sell off 1 or 2 of the 4 that I still have.  I think it will also depend on what the quality of the work you do along with the price.  Good luck with your venture if you do decide to pursue it.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #7,226 of 8,992
Whats your opinion of re-cabling by wiring the right side through the headband and putting a mini stereo socket in the left can and using a detachable cable with a mini jack on one end and 1/4 inch headphone jack on the other?  I have done it to my SR60s and noticed that ease of use increased and the weight of the cable decreased.

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #7,227 of 8,992
Hey there-
  I found a pair of cups/ caps from a set of sr80i's that I will not be using. I don't know if these are an in demand item, but if somebody here wants them, PM me or post something here & they're yours for the cost of shipping (US Post). They are the outer shell without the sleeve, about three+ years of use so there is a decent amount of wear & faded lettering. The grille on one of them has been cracked from pressure but still looks complete if you're not trying to find it. buttons still attached. did not take any pictures, but if you really need to see them first, I can.

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #7,228 of 8,992
  Whats your opinion of re-cabling by wiring the right side through the headband and putting a mini stereo socket in the left can and using a detachable cable with a mini jack on one end and 1/4 inch headphone jack on the other?  I have done it to my SR60s and noticed that ease of use increased and the weight of the cable decreased.

I been using SMC jacks to do the removable cable thing, see below:

I haven't done a single side cable mod mainly because I think it will throw of the balance of the headphone on your head if the weight of the cable is only on one side, but since I've never tried it I could be wrong. 

I really don't like the 8 conductor cable used on some of the new "e" series, its way to heavy for such light headphones, changed the cables on my SR-225e and RS2e to much lighter 4 conductor cables and haven't noticed any sound changes

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #7,229 of 8,992
I don't notice the headphones pulling to the left due to an imbalance in the cable.  I used 32awg wire and para-cord so the weight is minuscule.
I really like the reduced weight in the cable, I don't notice the cable at all, really easy to forget having headphones on. I will upload pictures as soon as I can.
I have been thinking about the symphones v7 drivers but can't find any reviews on the forum.  Thanks for the pictures, what drivers are those in the picture you uploaded?

-Retox

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #7,230 of 8,992
  I don't notice the headphones pulling to the left due to an imbalance in the cable.  I used 32awg wire and para-cord so the weight is minuscule.
I really like the reduced weight in the cable, I don't notice the cable at all, really easy to forget having headphones on. I will upload pictures as soon as I can.
I have been thinking about the symphones v7 drivers but can't find any reviews on the forum.  Thanks for the pictures, what drivers are those in the picture you uploaded?

-Retox

The drivers are PX-100ii (the SennGrado build), I have a set of Ypsilon drivers coming, hopefully soon.  Hope one of the other here can chime in on the v7 driver.

Most of the wires I've been using have been either 24 or 28 awg so I guess if I tried some 32 awg it might be light enough to not feel the weight as you found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back