Post the best headphone deals you have ever got (new/ob/used)
Mar 1, 2021 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

500+ Head-Fier
Love getting/negotiating good deals! So this is a thread dedicated to good deals on Headphones you have got, no need to elaborate unless you feel like it.

Only rule is if it is a current deal others can get put "***" in front of it

Sundara (OB direct from Hifiman) - $140
DT1990 (new direct from Beyerdynamic) - $300
***Samsung Galaxy buds (new) - $50
"basscannon" DT990 custom modded with Focuspad-A (new + new) - $165
Schiit Magni 3 (new direct from Schiit) - Free

Reminder most of these were bought based on votes by this forum if you think it's impossible to get good deals it's not!
If you are curious how I got these discounts I am a wizard, but seriously each has it's own story, for example one vendor updated one of their sites description pages to show correct info because of me so let's leave it at that.(they also weren't very thankful or remorseful unfortunately so I had to insist)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 64
I rarely get good headphone deals.

The best i've got were

STAX T1 + Lamda Pro in excellent condition for 700€

AKG K1000 in excellent condition for 550€

Both were sold by inheritors.

Mar 1, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 64
Grado PS 1000 80$. The cable was bad so I sent them to Grado to be recabled for 200. Later sold for a good profit.

AKG K712 for 150. Listening to them now.

I found both in a pawn shop.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 64
Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 Ohm - $50 in good condition. With some modifications this ended up being quite easily the best sounding headphone I’ve owned outshining numerous $500-1000 pairs I’ve owned. They’re freakishly clear, dynamic, fast, detailed, and natural sounding and have what seems like infinite scalability/modding potential. Only headphone I’ve come across that is an actual giant killer.

Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and DT 1990 Pro: $300 each new, probably the best performance/value I’ve come across among a new headphone.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 64
Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 Ohm - $50 in good condition. With some modifications this ended up being quite easily the best sounding headphone I’ve owned outshining numerous $500-1000 pairs I’ve owned. They’re freakishly clear, dynamic, fast, detailed, and natural sounding and have what seems like infinite scalability/modding potential. Only headphone I’ve come across that is an actual giant killer.

Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and DT 1990 Pro: $300 each new, probably the best performance/value I’ve come across among a new headphone.
Interest is piqued, my DT990 modded with Focuspad-A is my favorite for listing to my usual genre of music and also my favorite for east listening to movies. Insane forward bass and sub bass and quality and clarity, tamed highs and high resolution and extremely warm if not slightly veiled mids, super non fatiguing, even more comfy than insanely comfy stock pads and the bass and soundstage just make you smille constantly. This is over heavy hitters, 6XX, Sundara before I gave it away, DT1990... Could you possibly post the mod if it's doable?

@Deolum -> Patrician
@ksb643 -> Boss
Blew me expectations away tbh

My modded DT990
menage a trois.jpg

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 64
Interest is piqued, my DT990 modded with Focuspad-A is my favorite for listing to my usual genre of music and also my favorite for east listening to movies. Insane forward bass and sub bass and quality and clarity, tamed highs and high resolution and extremely warm if not slightly veiled mids, super non fatiguing, even more comfy than insanely comfy stock pads and the bass and soundstage just make you smille constantly. This is over heavy hitters, 6XX, Sundara before I gave it away, DT1990... Could you possibly post the mod if it's doable?

@Deolum -> Patrician
@ksb643 -> Boss
Blew me expectations away tbh

My modded DT990

The modding is rather complex on my DT 480, don’t want to open them up as I did a lot to them but it involved sorbothane and damping inside the earcups and damping of the front baffle while keeping the driver opening open or minimally covered. I use brainwavz angled sheepskin pads on them for comfort and I like what leather does to their sound. Increasing bass presence, comfort, and reducing housing resonances is the main things to focus on the DT 480’s. The DT 48 is another headphone with the same drivers. They’re all probably around $200 for a pair now though. Haven’t seen these cheap anymore sadly as they’re getting rarer.

Beyers in general respond amazingly well to modding as their drivers are often like chameleons and don’t really have any real issues, the peak many have is more of a tuning choice, Beyers are my go to headphones for modding due to drivers and also easy to mod designs. I haven’t had a lot of luck with modding other headphones so I usually leave others stock.

Oh another deal I got was a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Black Edition I got for $50 new due to a pricing error on Amazon. Not including headphones given to me as those aren’t really deals.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 64
Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 64
I've talked about this before but the best deal i ever got from not only the price point but in my opinion also price performance ratio was the ATH-L3000 which i got in Japan from a dealer used for 800€ back like 10 years ago. I really miss them :D
I seriously think Audio Technica should remove the leather, keep the tuning, maybe remove some technical capabilities which would bump production costs and sell it for sub 1000$ and they would have a big big seller. Especially that tuning was so fantastic, warm but still extremly realistic and lifelike. A wonderful headphone back then but even in todays market it would be a contender still.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 64
Years ago bought a Stax SR-202 and a SRM-252II for around 250$ combined - both in mint condition.

Also a new HE1000 for around 1200$ in an auction - not a bad deal.

Once I bought a headphone amp I got a Beyer T90 for free. Still very thankful!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 64
The Denon D5200 from a couple of months ago were like $299 due to a black Friday pricing error, I believe. However Denon honored the price and several of us got those for an absolute steal of a price.

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 64
Many good deal over the years. All pairs bought new.
Philips Fidelio X3: 207 euro. Yep controversial, there are those who think the 150 USD X2HRs are the better pair, but I strongly disagree.
Sony MDR-Z7: 350 Euro. Very early in their year of release I got them heavily discounted.
Audioquest NightHawk: 289 Euro. If I had waited one month longer I could have gotten them for 222 euro
AudioQuest NightOwl: 289 Euro
Denon AH-D5000: 350 Euro. They were the bee's knees at the time. I felt very lucky to get them that cheap.
Bang and Olufsen BeoPlay H6: 150 Euro. The built quality itself is worth more than the price I paid.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 64
Never heard of Denon before today!
a03674ba07d318077a4604780d085dfe.jpg

Now I want one

Just picked up Monoprice Modern Retro for $26 based on zeos recommend since I already have XL brainwavz
OMGGGGG I have bought 3x headphones in the last 3 days

keep posting though guys and if other can still get the deal be sure to put *** infront of it!
If you buy anything on recommend like the Galaxy Buds from OP(amazon,walmart, best buy is $60) which you should if you want to get into TWS they are heavy hitter it's ok to leave a post since you got a good deal!

Cheer everyone!

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 64
Never heard of Denon before today!
a03674ba07d318077a4604780d085dfe.jpg
Now I want one
Well, as they say, better late than never. :)

Hmm, I've never been lucky with good audio deals.

Probably an Elegia for $450? That's about it, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back