Post pic(s) of your latest "significant" purchase(s)!!! v2.0
Jun 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #3,256 of 4,134
Quote:

after a long day at work , a massage and music is what the doctor orders= let the healing begins

Just yourself....or?

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #3,257 of 4,134
Lol, when I quickly glanced at the pic I thought the massager was some funky looking paddle and misread your post as let the beating begin. I was like, whoa keep it PG13 boys.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #3,258 of 4,134
lol
ok guys, my kid check out gears with me, keep it PG
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #3,259 of 4,134

W4 is the "oldest" IEM/ phone in my collection- we go way back and BTG audio brought it back to life few months back
still researching amp to use with old W4 , new SM64 and new Ak100 

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #3,260 of 4,134
The wife wanted this, so tubes will have to wait...

I liked the dishwasher better when it was a "Ride On" kind...
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #3,261 of 4,134
Quote:
The wife wanted this, so tubes will have to wait...

I liked the dishwasher better when it was a "Ride On" kind...
biggrin.gif

I bet that Dishwasher could use some tubes.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #3,262 of 4,134
Jun 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #3,263 of 4,134
^ This is exactly why I can't stand dishwashers without tube viewing windows!

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #3,264 of 4,134
Jun 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #3,265 of 4,134
I got these 3 CDs a few days ago. The new St Vitus CD sounds as heavy as all fruck, the new Daft Punk is mellow an oozes awesome sauce and the Wild Nothing CD is toe tapping enjoyable. Overall, all three CD's is time well spent listening to them in their entirety. Feels good to finally have the physical Daft Punk CD in hands, it's nice to have some new heavy music in my collection and it's very nice to discover a new indie rock artist.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #3,266 of 4,134
DHL and local post dropped by with 2 packages today.. Sony mdr-v55 (bought some cables where shipping was almost more than the calbes, so I threw in a v55 just to make it worth while) and audio technica ws99.

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #3,267 of 4,134
Quote:
DHL and local post dropped by with 2 packages today.. Sony mdr-v55 (bought some cables where shipping was almost more than the calbes, so I threw in a v55 just to make it worth while) and audio technica ws99.

I have no experience with th ws99 or Audio Technica in general, so I can't say anything about how they sound (though my impression is that AT is a quality brand and well worth considering). That being said, I do find the big letters proclaiming "SOLID BASS" rather unsettling...

I'd like to know if it's proper solid bass, or hyped Beats mush. The brand suggests the former, but the box points more to the latter
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: They're very good looking either way.

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #3,268 of 4,134
I'm ordering a new lens tonight, will post pics ASAP :D

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #3,269 of 4,134
I'm listening to the audio technica ws99 right now, and as a "bass headphone" it does very well. The bass is emphasized, as it should be, but it's not of the bloated sloppy type: it's much tighter with more texture and doesn't blend way into the midrange. The midrange and highs have a slight veil over them, but it's nothing heavy handed. It's not a one trick pony like the sony xb series that can only do electronica, and it doesn't have the piercing highs of the denon d7100. It's been a while since i had the AT pro700mk2's, but from my memory (which shouldn't be trusted) the pro700mk2's had a lot of upper/kick-bass and the rest sounded a lot like the m50's. Compared to that, I'd say the WS99 sounds like it has a bit more meat on the bone through out the frequency range and has a tilt towards sounding "warm", which isn't typical for what I've heard from AT so far.

Keep in mind I got them today, and they've only been playing for about 8 hours, and I've only listened to them for an hour - but so far I'll say they're the best bass headphones I've had. I started listening to them with some trance and dubstep, but the last tracks have been rhianna "stay", de la soul "ring ring ring" and right now I'm listening to muse "madness". Guess that says something :) Sure I'll put on the he-500's or w1000x when I want every little detail and enjoy the quality of the music, but while nothing beeing super correct - the WS99's makes music fun.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #3,270 of 4,134
Quote:
I'm listening to the audio technica ws99 right now, and as a "bass headphone" it does very well. The bass is emphasized, as it should be, but it's not of the bloated sloppy type: it's much tighter with more texture and doesn't blend way into the midrange. The midrange and highs have a slight veil over them, but it's nothing heavy handed. It's not a one trick pony like the sony xb series that can only do electronica, and it doesn't have the piercing highs of the denon d7100. It's been a while since i had the AT pro700mk2's, but from my memory (which shouldn't be trusted) the pro700mk2's had a lot of upper/kick-bass and the rest sounded a lot like the m50's. Compared to that, I'd say the WS99 sounds like it has a bit more meat on the bone through out the frequency range and has a tilt towards sounding "warm", which isn't typical for what I've heard from AT so far.

Keep in mind I got them today, and they've only been playing for about 8 hours, and I've only listened to them for an hour - but so far I'll say they're the best bass headphones I've had. I started listening to them with some trance and dubstep, but the last tracks have been rhianna "stay", de la soul "ring ring ring" and right now I'm listening to muse "madness". Guess that says something :) Sure I'll put on the he-500's or w1000x when I want every little detail and enjoy the quality of the music, but while nothing beeing super correct - the WS99's makes music fun.

This is what I like to hear. Bass heavy headphones generally work very well with Muse, as I tend to find their mix rather thin.
Your description of the ws99 sound signature reminds me of my AKG K518DJ headphone, with the veil and everything. It has a noticeably dark sound signature, but stuff like Nirvana still sounds very real and natural (at least when you're not A/B-ing it with a pair of expensive hi-fi cans).

Also; I got a new DAC today! The Hegel HD11. I'm currently A/B-ing it against my Cambridge DacMagic Plus, and USB vs. USB the upgrade is noticeable. I've only listened to a few tracks, and what I noticed the most was the bass. It sounds cleaner, has more impact and over all it sounds more real. I'm also noticing an increase in soundstage, but it's early to tell just how much better it is. Remember that the HD11 doesn't even have one hour of burn in yet.

A/B testing the HD11 against my DacMagic Plus

Closeup of the new DAC. The old Cambridge unit on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back