Quote:
A couple boxes of these came in today:

I ate one and got a headache. Coincidence
confused.gif

why would you buy those....yuck.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #2,897 of 4,134
I ate one and got a headache. Coincidence :confused:

why would you buy those....yuck.

You got me, yuck is right. Nostalgia, scarcity, that kind of thing. Gonna throw the rest of the box in the bomb shelter (I hear these suckers last forever), while the other box goes back to the Bay for a flip.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #2,898 of 4,134
Quote:

Hehe, the engine is automotive "Artwork."  Drive it in the best of health.  When it comes time to replace those P-Zero Nero tires, you should really consider the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.  While they are expensive, they last much longer than your typical Max Performance Tire (they even come with a 30,000 mile treadwear warranty -- insane for a tire with a (Y) speed-rating).

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #2,899 of 4,134
Quote:

As an owner of many NVIDIA cards over the decade and also as a proud owner of one GTX 680 (got lucky and was able to get one at NewEgg within a couple of days of its availability), I can honestly state that in the case of the GTX 680, NVIDIA got the reference design just about perfect.  I haven't seen a single after-market design that improves upon the reference's balance of quiet & efficient cooling (exhausting the air outside, rather than inside the case), and the reference design called for high-quality PCB & capacitors too.  The only real "improvements" come from liquid-cooled versions.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE UPDATED to the latest 310.90 drivers!  THE PRIOR 310.xx drivers actually have a critical security vulnerability which, although difficult (but not impossible) to exploit remotely, could give a malicious attacker super-user privs even on a limited account (which is always the problem with low-level driver security flaws).

Download the latest drivers here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Read up on the security vulnerability here: http://www.securityweek.com/researcher-unwraps-dangerous-nvidia-driver-exploit-christmas-day

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #2,900 of 4,134
Quote:

As an owner of many NVIDIA cards over the decade and also as a proud owner of one GTX 680 (got lucky and was able to get one at NewEgg within a couple of days of its availability), I can honestly state that in the case of the GTX 680, NVIDIA got the reference design just about perfect.  I haven't seen a single after-market design that improves upon the reference's balance of quiet & efficient cooling (exhausting the air outside, rather than inside the case), and the reference design called for high-quality PCB & capacitors too.  The only real "improvements" come from liquid-cooled versions.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE UPDATED to the latest 310.90 drivers!  THE PRIOR 310.xx drivers actually have a critical security vulnerability which, although difficult (but not impossible) to exploit remotely, could give a malicious attacker super-user privs even on a limited account (which is always the problem with low-level driver security flaws).

Download the latest drivers here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Read up on the security vulnerability here: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4966380

I sold mine for headphone money. Will stick with my venerable GTX460 until the next generation of consoles causes games to be demanding again.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #2,901 of 4,134
Thanks for the heads-up on the drivers, Cham. I had no idea!

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #2,903 of 4,134
hate to break it to you, that's an urban legend.  twinkies last about 3 weeks

Quote:
You got me, yuck is right. Nostalgia, scarcity, that kind of thing. Gonna throw the rest of the box in the bomb shelter (I hear these suckers last forever), while the other box goes back to the Bay for a flip.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2,906 of 4,134

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #2,908 of 4,134

First ever power cable and speaker cable purchases. In anticipation from my last post in this thread. 

Emotiva 2m stereo pair and one of their power cables. Probably shoulda bought the 2 meter power cable (I got 1m), but it'll be fine.

I can't believe how good these cables look/feel for the price. Not sure why I'd need anything beyond this stuff cables wise. They much more flexible than I expected them to be which is a big plus. 

The speaker cables have a unique feature as well. They come with both spade and banana 'screw on' adapters. Meaning you can swap the ends at any time. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #2,910 of 4,134

Users who are viewing this thread

Back