Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Aug 13, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #2,236 of 5,383
Same as my experience although I am comparing Oracle Delphi MKI/Koetsu Onyx with RP6/2M Black.  Please ignore the gnrr that I wiped off after the pic.  Bold is a good description although with the RP6 probably runing fast, it's even bolder.
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #2,237 of 5,383
I have always been interested in the 2M black also the Zu Audio DL-103. One of them will be my next cartridge. Probably the Zu, but I keep going back and forth.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #2,238 of 5,383
Quote:
I just upgraded the pickup on my Pioneer PL-530 from a Ortofon 2M Bronze to a 2M Black "pnp" version that includes the Ortofon headshell. Spinning the new 87 Grateful Dead NYE show:

What model is that turntable?  PL-500?  Can't quite be sure.  I want a Pioneer to go with my Pioneer Spec system.  Any idea when this was build? 

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2,240 of 5,383
Yup, PL-530, built 76-78. Really solid, good sounding DD TT.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #2,241 of 5,383
Quote:
Yup, PL-530, built 76-78. Really solid, good sounding DD TT.

Jeez, it was right at the top of the pictures.  Sorry about that.  I was mesmerized by that gorgeous album I guess. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #2,242 of 5,383
Was this the thread we talked about Amazon and SoundstageDirect and shipping?  
blink.gif

Tried Soundstage out because they seemed to have one of the few remaining copies of Tori Amos' reissued Under The Pink.  Not a fan, but I have friends that most definitely are, so why not.

Everything was fine, surprisingly because the inner protective thing was also smashed and dented. And it came from only one state over!  Never seen anything come from Amazon look like that.  Nor is the record flat, but yay for clamps!  Sounds quite nice I must say.  Little surface noise, but less than a lot of what I have.  Doesn't seem 180 gram either as it says it is.  Not a cheap album either, but you'll have that sometimes.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2,243 of 5,383
I have received a few different shipments for LPs with SoundStageDirect and my boxes never got tested in that way. 
biggrin.gif
 All arrived as if each were handed to me from over the counter.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #2,244 of 5,383
Can't blame SD, of course.  But the courier route I will.  Maybe someone was having a bad day and read Fragile and gave it the opening scene to Ace Ventura Pet Detective treatment.  

biggrin.gif

SD's packaging worked fine for the most part.  Little dent on a flat side... but it's fine.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,245 of 5,383
Quote:
Was this the thread we talked about Amazon and SoundstageDirect and shipping?  
blink.gif

Tried Soundstage out because they seemed to have one of the few remaining copies of Tori Amos' reissued Under The Pink.  Not a fan, but I have friends that most definitely are, so why not.

Everything was fine, surprisingly because the inner protective thing was also smashed and dented. And it came from only one state over!  Never seen anything come from Amazon look like that.  Nor is the record flat, but yay for clamps!  Sounds quite nice I must say.  Little surface noise, but less than a lot of what I have.  Doesn't seem 180 gram either as it says it is.  Not a cheap album either, but you'll have that sometimes.

Media Mail = BAD  I always make sure I'm getting ground shipping.  At least around Boston, USPS seems to treat my packages about the same but UPS and Fedex have had a much better record.  (Ha, no pun intended!)

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #2,246 of 5,383

Got the Q Up today.  Aside from the outrageous 59.99 price tag, it works great.  It probably costs about .99 cents to manufacture but if it save my $600 cartridge, I guess it's worth it.

It took about 5 minutes to install and adjust and if you adjust the tension to the minimum, it doesn't bounce nearly as bad as shown in the YouTube videos.

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #2,248 of 5,383
Quote:
Got the Q Up today.  Aside from the outrageous 59.99 price tag, it works great.  It probably costs about .99 cents to manufacture but if it save my $600 cartridge, I guess it's worth it.

Wouldn't it be nice to think that if it cost that little to manufacture you could pick it up for $1.00. But the economics of business is not that simple. The cost of packing, shipping, various taxes, and operating profit of the various businesses that have had to handle the item from factory to the retailer that sold you the part also has to be taken into account.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #2,249 of 5,383
Aug 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #2,250 of 5,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosley01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...but if it save my $600 cartridge, I guess it's worth it.

I mean, does it really hurt the stylus that much to sit in the lock-out groove for a few seconds while you get up to change the record?

personally, I worry more about dirty records than lifting the arm just as soon as Side A is over....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back