Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jun 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #676 of 5,383
Quote:

Here are some pics of my VPI Scoutmaster set up - was messing with a picture editing app on the phone :)

I can't tell if that's a VERY dirty record, or just the way the photo was edited. Looks pretty cool nevertheless.

Jun 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #678 of 5,383

So I was clearing out the garage the other day and came upon my uncles old box of records which he had left there a few years back, a few records had been water damaged(mostly just the sleeves) so i decided i would keep them in a nice place in my closet to protect them even though i didn't have a player.  As i started removing records from the box, and lo, and behold.
There was an old Sanyo TP- 1020 at the bottom. Thought that it must have been broken because my uncle had been asking me if i had a record player earlier that year.  Got it all hooked up, turned it on and ran a record through it, and damn did it sound nice.  Getting a record brush and a new needle later, probably replace all the caps. 
The records on the top shelf are the ones that were in the box are are quite a mix of genres with some great Rock or Classical albums here and there. The ones on the bottom shelf is a well cared for set of "The Greatest Jazz Recordings of All Time" Institute Of Jazz Studies Official Archive Collection.  Great records. 
TL;DR: Lucky, lucky day.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #680 of 5,383
Was that special app called "add dust app"
bad combination with a record player IMHO.

I once found about 300 lp's dumped on the street with the trash. Most were in pretty good state. But that was 15y ago...

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #681 of 5,383
Quote:
Was that special app called "add dust app"
bad combination with a record player IMHO.
I once found about 300 lp's dumped on the street with the trash. Most were in pretty good state. But that was 15y ago...

Yeah, those photos made your turntable and record look like they came out of Berlin c. 1945

EDIT: Okay maybe not THAT bad.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #684 of 5,383
Quote:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Furutech ADL GT40, Sennheiser HD650.

I was actually going to get my dad a similar rig, but it won't work. he needs tone controls arg...

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #685 of 5,383
Quote:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Furutech ADL GT40, Sennheiser HD650.

That GT40 seems like an amazing little package, how do you like it?

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #686 of 5,383
Quote:
Stock mdf platter!
smily_headphones1.gif
It didn't even look like mdf honestly. So slick. Ordered it off audiogon from someone there and it's like new. Thinking of getting a different mat for the platter though instead of the felt one that came with it. Any suggestions?
Edit: can't begin to describe how much better the stock Ortofon cartridge is on this thing than the awful awful p-mount AT cartridge on the Technics table I was using previously. That thing must have been shredding the grooves. The ortofon glides so smoothly in the grooves that there is hardly any hiss or pop in the playback at all. Very very pleased with my purchase!

Just be careful if you change the overall height of the vinyl surface with a new mat that you adjust the vertical tracking angle of the arm to compensate.  Some cartridges are picky about VTA and others are not so much, but any large change could change the sound quite dramatically.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #688 of 5,383
The Scoutmaster is highly tweakable.  Is that even a word?

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #690 of 5,383
That's a custom isolation platform designed by me, and manufactured by Timbernation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back