Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jul 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,936 of 5,383
The old JVC's are great. I have a QL-Y3F which is similar to a Denon DL-47F.

I would say the QL-Y3F is in a different league compared to the Rega

This does not surprise me at all. In my experience, the better 70's and 80's direct drive Japanese turntables from JVC, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Kenwood et al generally will sound much better than entry level belt drive turntables made today. About 10-12 years ago when my Kenwood died, I bought a Pro-Ject to replace it. And I was devastated - it sounded much worse than the Kenny. I found a Denon DP-59L, and the magic was back! I still have and use the Denon regularly. My VPI Scoutmaster is a little better than the DP-59L...but not as much as some might think...

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #1,938 of 5,383
Quote:
This does not surprise me at all. In my experience, the better 70's and 80's direct drive Japanese turntables from JVC, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Kenwood et al generally will sound much better than entry level belt drive turntables made today. About 10-12 years ago when my Kenwood died, I bought a Pro-Ject to replace it. And I was devastated - it sounded much worse than the Kenny. I found a Denon DP-59L, and the magic was back! I still have and use the Denon regularly. My VPI Scoutmaster is a little better than the DP-59L...but not as much as some might think...

In the link I posted yesterday in "turntable setup", there was tested Inspire Hi Fi Monarch turntable, with the measurements to die for. http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/  Turns out Inspire Hi Fi is taking the best reasonably available TTs and mods them into stratosphere. There are LP12s, L78s, etc, yet the prince of them all seems to be the 1210 with new - ahem - most everything, being called Monarch. There is even baby version of the 1210 mod, retaining the most crucial changes from stock. They are relatively inexpensive, but do not expect them to be cheap.

Nothing like that would be happening if basically the Technics design was not sound. Even the very top Technics TTs , SP 10 Mk II and SP 10 MK III, had more than fair share of their gremlins - none of which are not possible to be put aside. But the sheer numbers of 1210 produced and their relative availability makes such endavors as Inspire's possible. SP 10s are simply too rare and too expensive for this purpose.

Technics was not alone - JVC, Kenwood, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, to stay with those that do not cost an arm and a leg. There were "statement" designs by above and other japanese manufacturers in early 80s, both direct and belt drive, never exported out of Japan, that can still be regarded as role models in engineering - being matched or surpassed only fairly recently, at 5 figures or more. When confronted with this calibre, belt drives like Linn or Rega have zero chance. They are great value for money, but once true precision is required, direct drive starts creeping in - if not through the main door, through back, if not there, through chimney, etc. There are modern DDs,
Rockport, Grand Prix Monaco, Brinkmann Bardo, VPI - true, they are expensive, but they would not come into being if it was felt such results were achievable trough other means. And this SOTA technology should trickle down to products more people will be able to afford.

There is a caveat with vintage DDs. If ICs in their electronic regulation fail, you can end up with a dead TT - replacement parts are in more and more cases becoming no longer available. Which brings us to 1210 again - for forseable future, it will be possible to maintain your existing "basically 1210" if by no other means, through canibalizing say beat up DJ deck you should be able to get at reasonable price.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,939 of 5,383
Jul 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,940 of 5,383
Quote:
My Groovetracer on RB303:

The Groovetracer is one of the best!
Riggle has this real crafted look:

Your RB303 picture (compared to the above RB250/Riggle) illustrates why some prefer the basic design of RB250, specifically the tonearm bearing assembly. The RB250 has two simple points of support whereas the RB303 has the anti-skating function (that dial) complicating one of the bearing supports.

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #1,941 of 5,383
Quote:
What a happy looking corner! 
ksc75smile.gif
 Congrats!

Quote:
Beautifully warm looking.  I approve of the cans, too.
cool.gif

Thanks, it comes with scoutmaster black acrylic platter, JMW 9T signature arm and 300 rpm motor at a price of pre-owned scout.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #1,942 of 5,383
Quote:
Quote:
My Groovetracer on RB303:

The Groovetracer is one of the best!
Riggle has this real crafted look:

Your RB303 picture (compared to the above RB250/Riggle) illustrates why some prefer the basic design of RB250, specifically the tonearm bearing assembly. The RB250 has two simple points of support whereas the RB303 has the anti-skating function (that dial) complicating one of the bearing supports.

Yeah, ironic that Roy Gandy probably doesn't even believe in anti-skate.

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #1,943 of 5,383
Quote:

Yeah, many Rega tweakers don't use the anti-skate.
Gandy also has his own ideas on isolation (light and rigid), VTA (doesn't matter) and grounding (in the tonearm).
Having said that I am a huge fan of his tables. They just work for me...

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #1,944 of 5,383
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, many Rega tweakers don't use the anti-skate.
Gandy also has his own ideas on isolation (light and rigid), VTA (doesn't matter) and grounding (in the tonearm).
Having said that I am a huge fan of his tables. They just work for me...

Yeah, I know about the VTA, and here's his spacers.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #1,945 of 5,383
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Measure with an micrometer, mark with chalk, chop off with an axe...
wink.gif

I did stumble upon a mod of Rega 250 arm I would be delighted to hear; the only thing it did lack was absence of azimuth adjustment.
 http://www.audiomods.co.uk/  They offer micrometer for precise and repeatable adjustment of VTA - increments in "spacers" are FAR too
big, you will likely always miss the sweet spot. And they offer KIT versions of their modded arms ! - special version for Technics SL 1210 too ...

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,947 of 5,383
Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Measure with an micrometer, mark with chalk, chop off with an axe...
wink.gif

I did stumble upon a mod of Rega 250 arm I would be delighted to hear; the only thing it did lack was absence of azimuth adjustment.
 http://www.audiomods.co.uk/  They offer micrometer for precise and repeatable adjustment of VTA - increments in "spacers" are FAR too
big, you will likely always miss the sweet spot. And they offer KIT versions of their modded arms ! - special version for Technics SL 1210 too ...

Oh, I know you're right but it may be a journey too far for this old leveler.
smile.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,948 of 5,383
I'm playing around with a few ideas/options with the DV-20B

Option 1: Send to Garrott Bros. to get it retipped once again

Option 2: Apparently I can trade it in to Dynavector for a discount on one of their new units (Looking at the DV-10X5)

Option 3: Try something new

Any suggestions for Option 3?

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #1,949 of 5,383
Quote:
I'm playing around with a few ideas/options with the DV-20B

Option 1: Send to Garrott Bros. to get it retipped once again

Option 2: Apparently I can trade it in to Dynavector for a discount on one of their new units (Looking at the DV-10X5)

Option 3: Try something new

Any suggestions for Option 3?

I love both MM and MC.  I've lived with MC20 MKII and Koetsu Onyx and loved them both. I've also loved an ADC XLM that tracked at one gram and several versions of the V15. Right now I'm back in MM land with the 2M Black.

It's mighty snappy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back