Possible upgrades from Wyred4sound dac-2?PWD?
Aug 16, 2011 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

BrucYSN

500+ Head-Fier
Like the title, I currently have the PWD in mind. it's a shame they don't have better USB implementation. 
Any defects on the PWD sound wise and synergy with amp/preamp? 

I'd also like to know if there are other options.

Would like keep the budget under 3k and has to have balanced out, HT bypass/preamp function would be a bonus. 

Very best. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 20
No one? 

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 20
I like my PWD.  Sounds good, lots of features, flexible--though I sometimes worry about the longevity of the LCD screen.  Also, the bridge still seems like a pain in the ass.  If you're really looking for USB "done right," perhaps you should check out the Ayre QB-9?

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 20
I like my PWD.  Sounds good, lots of features, flexible--though I sometimes worry about the longevity of the LCD screen.  Also, the bridge still seems like a pain in the ass.  If you're really looking for USB "done right," perhaps you should check out the Ayre QB-9?

That you have had the PWD this long is a statement.

OP, if you want a better feed, there are a lot of good USB converters.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 20

Quote:

I'll check the QB-9 out,Although I don't really need the bridge since I"ve got a dedicated computer sits right on top of my DAC lol How dose it stack up with the DAC you previously used? 

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 20

Quote:

OP, if you want a better feed, there are a lot of good USB converters.

Isn't that thing gonna cost like 400-500 bucks? That's a bit too much for me lol
Good news it's that I found my old crappy laptop actually dose have optical out, hopefully it would work fine. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 20
So no one had heard em both , bummer, I just wonder if the PWD worth the trouble lol 

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 20
[quote="Happy]

OP, if you want a better feed, there are a lot of good USB converters. [/quote]

Heh. I think the statement is that I got tired of buying and selling DACs. :)

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 20
OT, but as long as the HiFace and V-link have been brought up, I would dearly like to see some impressions of the MHDT Bridge as there seems to be a dearth of information available on that one.

Some other USB options:

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_SPDIF.htm

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 20
great, thanks for the input  although after reading all the reviews of bridges, i start wonder the improvement over digital interface + PWD over USB to W4S would really justify the costs.......
Anything one can recommand other dacs? I'm getting my eyes on the QB9 or the Zodiac. It's just 1800 for a PWD it's just so tempting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back