Possible to use the ipod lineout without an amp?
Dec 31, 2007 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

montell

100+ Head-Fier
I'm kind of confused about the lineout. Now I've read that ipods should sound fantastic when you use the line out. But is it possible to just get a lineout dock andd plug your headphones directly in without using an amplifier at all? I havent read anything about that. I know the lineout has an internal amplifier so.. what kind of problems would I stumble upon

Now I plan on getting an amplifier eventually but I'd also like to use my ipod nano without it for those occasions.

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 8
the line out is a pure signal from the source. it bypasses the internal amp and so there is no volume control. plugging headphones in directly can be dangerous (particularly IEMs) as the line out volume can be very loud without the use of an amp's volume control.

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 8
You could RockBox the iPod and use Precut in the EQ menu, this would act as a volume control using the line out.I've never tried this but it should work...but I use a 5.5G iPod video, I've never used a Nano.

Maybe others can confirm my theory.

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could RockBox the iPod and use Precut in the EQ menu, this would act as a volume control using the line out.I've never tried this but it should work...but I use a 5.5G iPod video, I've never used a Nano.

Maybe others can confirm my theory.

That "works" but the impedance is well off and bass rolls off.

OP, you need an amp!

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That "works" but the impedance is well off and bass rolls off.

OP, you need an amp!

Hey,that's what the EQ is for...but seriously, yeah,, amp that thang. I bet you could snag a Pa2v2 for $40 in the FS forum.

Like I stated, I've never actually tried to use precut that way but I need to use precut at -10dB for use in my truck running the line-out into my Eclipse HU because at full output it overloads the HU analog input.

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 8
Thats too bad. What about those volume things that come with some earbuds?

Its not necessarily the extra dough I'd have to spent for an amp. Its more the extra weight and bulk that I'd have to bring. Though I do want an amp for home use. I need something to make use of the yuin pk1

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 8
If it's just small you want, the Xin Supermicro is the best sounding tiny amp, it's total size is about the same as 2 AAA batteries.

Cool Stuff

Edit: Should note that the waiting time for a Xin amp is normally several decades... well, at least many months anyway. Also, the PK1 show only a small fraction of their potential without an amp.

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 8
I havent made up my mind yet wether I'm going to build one my own or get a cheap low entry amp from the FS forum. Xins amp looks nice but it still a bit high on the price and I've read that it takes a long time to ship.

I wanna test the pk1 on my audio players first though. I havent recieved them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back