possible to switch drivers?
Jan 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 6
Is it possible? Quite likely, though I'm not familiar with the Zalman's so I don't know if it could be a direct swap or if modifications to the driver or housing would be needed to make one fit in the other. However, keep in mind that the Zalman's drivers were made to sound 'right' for the Zalmans and the same is true for the RP-21. Doing what you want to do may result in a change to the sound signature, and while it may be a good change, or no change, keep in mind that it could also be a not-so-pleasant change. In many case, modifications, such as drilled out holes, spacers, dampening material, etc, can alter the sound as well. The idea is one that is fun though, and if you want to, go crazy with it man!

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 6
You might need to make a new baffle or mod the zalman one to get it to work, but in principle it can be done. The only way to find out how hard it will be is to take off the pads, disassemble the headphones enough to get the existing baffles off, and take a look. Maybe post some pictures. It's true the drivers might not work quite right with the new housing, but then again they might. Blu-tak is your friend in getting the drivers to fit the Zalman baffle, assuming as I think is likely that they won't just snap into place. I'd also keep around some damping material to experiment with when tuning the sound of the drivers in the new housing.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Do it! Building frankenphones is great fun! Plus, you never know what you might end up with. My greatest result came from putting a pair of DT880 drivers into an old Sennheiser HD590 chassis. It took some doing but the results were amazing.

Let us know how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back