Portland, OR 08-23-08 - meet impressions
Aug 25, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #16 of 36
Thanks to everyone: dev, dB, sachu, yogi, kw, wcp6 & Josh. It's especially great to have you newcomers (this coming from a veteran of 2 meets)!

It seems clear to me that our current trend of meeting for 4 hrs a year just isn't cutting it. One has to be too rushed to try to give everything a reasonable audition (who can pick up dev's Stax for less than 20 mins?), while trying to get caught up with what everyone else has been up to for the last year. Not to mention those who couldn't make it all, due to scheduling conflicts.

So I wonder how getting together again around Feb sounds to everybody? And maybe a Sunday is better, for those who may have to work on Saturdays?

Aug 25, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoginasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*I did not listen properly to kwkarths gear but I hope to in the future,nice recordings btw
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Yogi,
An interesting note on the recordings... The recorder I used has an extremely quiet mic preamp and mic capsules. The spec for the mic system is -121dB EIN if I recall correctly. There were a couple of fans in the room with us Saturday and the rushing sound of the air they were pushing around sounds remarkably like "tape hiss" from the old days. I was dismayed to hear how well that sound had been picked up by my mics. I ran the recording through Soundsoap to strip out as much of that white noise as I could without wreaking havoc on the audio I wanted to preserve, but it's still very audible. The sound track that I added was as much to mask the vestigial remains of that "hiss" as it was for mood setting.
wink.gif
BTW, the recording I chose was from "Oregon - 1000 Km" which I thought was apropos for a number of reasons.

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to everyone: dev, dB, sachu, yogi, kw, wcp6 & Josh. It's especially great to have you newcomers (this coming from a veteran of 2 meets)!

It seems clear to me that our current trend of meeting for 4 hrs a year just isn't cutting it. One has to be too rushed to try to give everything a reasonable audition (who can pick up dev's Stax for less than 20 mins?), while trying to get caught up with what everyone else has been up to for the last year. Not to mention those who couldn't make it all, due to scheduling conflicts.

So I wonder how getting together again around Feb sounds to everybody? And maybe a Sunday is better, for those who may have to work on Saturdays?

I agree that 4 hours is not sufficient to sample all the offerings (even for a small group) and commune with people of like minds.Although if we did meet more regularly then perhaps that would be plenty
wink.gif

I would be happy to be there in February btw.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew H /img/forum/go_quote.gif

FWIW, late February is bad for me, and Saturdays are better for me than Sundays (and typically seemed to work out better when I was arranging the meets). Thanks again for your efforts - if I can be at the next one, I will be.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #20 of 36
At this point, any time is fine for me!

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #22 of 36
I think so.

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think so.

Great!
I'm thinking Saturday September 13th at 1PM if this is agreeable with all that may be interested in attending.My place is available unless there are better suggestions.

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #25 of 36
I thought it was a great time, and was very nice to be able to listen to so many different setups and talk with like-minded people. It seems that they are a rarity in my local area
smily_headphones1.gif

I would be up for something in February, maybe a mini meet in September if I don't have work that day (need a while to request time off)

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by wcp6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it was a great time, and was very nice to be able to listen to so many different setups and talk with like-minded people. It seems that they are a rarity in my local area
smily_headphones1.gif

I would be up for something in February, maybe a mini meet in September if I don't have work that day (need a while to request time off)

Do you have a regular schedule now? If so, what are your regular days/times off?

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will see what I can do :wink: ..dB

Joy!
I think it will be a very fun and productive meet as there will be a great deal of new and interesting things to share,and with good company too!
Feel free to take a peek at my details in my profile to get an idea of my audio gear setup,I should have some Bluray audio (BRA
wink.gif
discs for us to audition by then also.

Aug 31, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a regular schedule now? If so, what are your regular days/times off?

That's a negative, wildly varying schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back