PortaPro vs. SportaPro
Jan 19, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 20
I don't have the SportaPros, but I do have the PortaPros. I like the PortaPro. It is perfect for rock, alternative, and hip-hop. However, it does have an overpowering bass which can be fixed by buying a Sennheiser 414 pads reverse and quarter mod them. The build quality is excellent! These things are like a tank
blink.gif
. Sometimes that little thingy that adjusts to your head might catch onto one of your hairs and yank it out, but you can avoid it with techniques. I'd say go for the PortaPro, well, if you were planning on buying either one. If some one says PX100s IGNORE THEM
biggrin.gif
. PortaPros forever!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 20
I have both SportaPros and PortaPros and really enjoy both of them. My PortaPros don't see a lot of action anymore because of my HF-1's, but my SportaPros go to school or exercise with me.

The SportaPros could be passed up for headphones that come with a CD player. They have a plastic headband and the construction of the cans allow you to flip the headband to a neckband. However, I found the neckband configuration quite tight on my head as it tends to pull the temporal pads closer together. Because of the plastic headband, it's not quite flexible so even in headband mode, it has a firm (but not overwhelming) grip on my head, which I think is a good thing considering it's designed for outdoor use. In fact, I use them with my iPod when I go out for a run.

The PortaPros are very throwback looking (which I kind of like) with its metal headband, which allows more flexibility and those with larger heads might find it a lot more comfortable than the SportaPro. You can also help comfort issues by using the comfortZone adjustment for the temporal pads have three settings but I never really had to adjust them.

And yes, either headband will yank out your hair so take it easy when you take them off.

Both are constructed quite well as they are meant to be portable. They fold up quite nicely. I've had both headphones for five years now, and I have tossed my SportaPros around in university and the only thing I have had to replace were the earpads. Even if something happens to them, Koss' lifetime warranty kicks a lot of ass.

Sound? Apparently, they are based on the same drivers so you can expect the same warm, punchy bassy signature from both the SportaPros and PortaPros. They may be a bit muddy for some, but both are fun for rock, electronic and hip-hop. I found the SportaPros slightly punchier in the bass, perhaps due to their construction and how firmly the cans fit on your head. These work especially well with iPods because I feel they lack in bass, and the Koss phones manage pretty well.

What it boils down to is how will you be using them. If they're going to see a lot of action outside, I would go with the SportaPros. If you dig comfort and not mind the look out and about, or want something nice to rock out with indoors, go PortaPros.

Jan 19, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 20
I have had both and, much to my dismay, very slightly prefer the Portas.

I really do not like the more elaborate pad adjustment on the Portas, but there is something about the suspension of the plastic earcups that support the drivers on the Sporta that seems to blur the sound (mostly in the bass region) a bit for me. I tried 3 different Sportas and they all sounded the same.

I beleive there is a review on Goodcans.com that references this:

http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/ipod.htm

Koss Portapro - For well over a decade our favorite headphone for sound quality under $50 has been this headphone meant for portable use and thus good for connecting to most portable players. The Koss Portapro, (not to be confused with the Sportapro which doesn't sound quite as good), offers good detail in all areas; highs, mids and bass. In addition to great sound quality for a portable headphone, it’s light in weight, comfortable, and collapsible. We've sold and listened to this headphone since the late 80's... it's got a long proven track record! Note: Sennheiser has more recently come out with a competing, foldable portable, the PX100. Actually, it's a good headphone and if the Koss PortaPro didn't exist, we'd recommend it. But, we do still like the PortaPro slightly more than the PX-100.

Also refered to here:

Sportapro Sound Quality - When I first reviewed the Sportapro, I was excited that Koss had take the Portapro and gave it such a versatile headband... and at a cheaper price! While we have had very many customers pleased with their Sportapro’s, one customer with a very discerning ear mentioned a minor problem he sometimes heard with the bass. I tried his pair and occasionally with very bass heavy music, (something I do not listen to all that often), I could hear a fluttering sound. Trying to recreate this phenomenon, I discovered that it only seemed to happen when that bass heavy music is played at louder volumes, just a bit louder than I normally listen to my music, (remember, protect your hearing and don't play your headphones too loud). Curious, I took a closer listen and compared a Sportapro with a Portapro. Guess what? I couldn't hear the fluttering with the Portapro's and in fact, the sound quality of the Portapro’s was constantly better when listened to closely!

Comparing the specs for the Portapro's vs. the Sportapro's, the only difference seems minor? The Sensitivity changes from 101 to 103 dB SPL/1mW on the Sportapro. I had noticed this difference before and I assumed a mute button on the Sportapro was slightly affecting the numbers, (but now the Sportapro no longer has that mute button and the numbers are still the same). Looking closely at the transducers, they do appear to be the same. But here is a lesson I have learned about the effect the housing has on headphone sound quality. The Sportapro has some additional plastic behind the transducer and it appears the sound is bouncing off of the plastic and having a negative effect on the sound. For active use, we still recommend the Sportapro as it still has better sound than most portable headphones! When you are exercising or walking, most people don’t listen closely enough to even hear the slight sound degradation. But for the best portable sound quality in non-active use, we do prefer the Portapro!

and I have never read anyone else reference this difference other than they slightly prefer the sound of the Porta.

Jan 20, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 20
I read a review in a swedish HiFi.mag where they tested Porta vs Sporta and the said as someone above here said that porta had better sound than sporta, I don't remember exactly what, and yes they have the same drivers so it hast to be the material that makes the difference. They also said that the buildquality was worse on sporta wich in my opinion isn't so good on porta either, mine havn't breake down but it's just the feel of them, but I really like them even though.

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 20
Pardon if I'm wrong, but I heard that the SportaPro has titanium-coated KSC-75-style drivers while the PortaPro has regular KSC-35-style drivers.

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that porta pro have 64 ohms impedance and not a very high sensivity, so most of the DACs have hard time powering porta pros?????

Yes if you compare to akg k24p/26p, senn px100 and IEMs they are a little bit hard to drive and sounds less, but because they sit so close to the ear they get louder than for example Hd-595 50ohm, Hd-485 32ohm. i didn't think my 15mW+15mW iriver T10 had any problem powering them.

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pardon if I'm wrong, but I heard that the SportaPro has titanium-coated KSC-75-style drivers while the PortaPro has regular KSC-35-style drivers.

Thanks to everyone that has responded so far. And is the driver difference true?

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to everyone that has responded so far. And is the driver difference true?

Id like to know this too. Also Id like to know why the sportapros are 20 bux and the protapro's are 40bux if they are the same with a different headband

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 20
Well, that headband is pretty fashionable. It makes a real statement so if you want to be cool, be on the go, you gotta cough-up the dough.

I just ordered some KSC35's for 36$ plus shipping and will compare them to my PortaPros.

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by portaprokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SportaPros could be passed up for headphones that come with a CD player. They have a plastic headband and the construction of the cans allow you to flip the headband to a neckband.

My SportaPros have metal headband, sort of spring steel material, thin, but feels like it wouldn't break no matter what you do.

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenGod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the SportaPros, but I do have the PortaPros. I like the PortaPro. It is perfect for rock, alternative, and hip-hop. However, it does have an overpowering bass which can be fixed by buying a Sennheiser 414 pads reverse and quarter mod them. The build quality is excellent! These things are like a tank
blink.gif
. Sometimes that little thingy that adjusts to your head might catch onto one of your hairs and yank it out, but you can avoid it with techniques. I'd say go for the PortaPro, well, if you were planning on buying either one. If some one says PX100s IGNORE THEM
biggrin.gif
. PortaPros forever!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

WOW, that just gave me a great idea. PortaPros /w Grado comfy pads, since my MS1 is using HD414 pads and I have no other use for these. So much comfier than the stock pad!
biggrin.gif

edit: Damn, it's comfortable but puts too much distance between the drivers and my ears
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back