PortaPro vs iGrado vs PX200
Aug 13, 2009 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

grantlp13

New Head-Fier
I have been auditioning for these 3 the last week. I can' really decide even though i have a more favourable preferences towards the KOSS and the Grado.

I listen a lot to Guns N roses, Aerosmith, Mr. Big all with dominant guitar (mid freq i suppose) and some jazz from Al jarreau and george benson kind of music.

after listening to those 3 i find that all of them have quite a dominant bass don't you think so? i prefer a brighter mid cause that's where all of the guitar riff and lick shines rite?

oh yeah i forgot to add that my source is handphone (E71 i have to buy a 3.5" to 2.5" connector). most of the file are 128 kbps.

so what do you guys think what fits me the best. thx

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 27
I think you should check out the px100 aswell. It has an open design (like the Koss and the iGrado), and is supposed to sound better than both the koss and the px200. I haven't tried the IGrado, but have read that it is not that comfy.

I just got a pair of px100 and i like them a lot (less bass than the porta pros and overall better sounding IMO). Comfy as well!

Good luck!

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 27
I recommend the Sennheiser HD238, been listening to one for a couple of days and I love them. The bass is just right when listening to a mobile source (in my case a Sony W660 phone), the mids are smooth and very fun to listen too, just not in-your-face (I'm into rock too). Plus they're really comfortable.

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by zmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend the Sennheiser HD238, been listening to one for a couple of days and I love them. The bass is just right when listening to a mobile source (in my case a Sony W660 phone), the mids are smooth and very fun to listen too, just not in-your-face (I'm into rock too). Plus they're really comfortable.

The HD238 are in a different price category than both the porta pro's and px100 aren't they?

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 27
My daughter has the iGrados. They sound quite good. They have the same drivers as the SR60's, and may even be a little better because they don't have the thick foam pads on them. They go behind the head, and can be worn with a hat or helmet. They are also decently easy to drive and don't need an amp.

Sorry, no direct comparisons. But the iGrados are well worth the $50 IMO.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 27
thanks for the reply guys. now i'm really confused because i already crossed out px100. I tried it and for me it's no good at all. My philips SHP5400 is better than px100 I think.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 27
Don't get the igrado. There are a few dealbreakers for this headphone.

Uncomfortable to the max. It will squeeze your head like no other headphone.

Pads are dense which filters out detail and makes them sound boomy. There is none of that "Grado house sound" with the stock pads.

It has one of the worst cables I've ever seen on a headphone.

Honestly you are better off getting the porta pro, px100 or the original SR60. I have all of them.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get the igrado. There are a few dealbreakers for this headphone.

Uncomfortable to the max. It will squeeze your head like no other headphone.

Pads are dense which filters out detail and makes them sound boomy. There is none of that "Grado house sound" with the stock pads.

It has one of the worst cables I've ever seen on a headphone.

Honestly you are better off getting the porta pro, px100 or the original SR60. I have all of them.

I think a lot of this is a matter of fit and taste. If you have a small head (like my daughter), the iGrados fit just fine. And she likes the boomy bass as well.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying that fit and sound signature are personal preference to a certain extent.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by grantlp13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i prefer a brighter mid cause that's where all of the guitar riff and lick shines rite?

I recommend Yuin G2A ($49) clip-ons over both iGrado and PortaPro, when unamped. Amped (and especially modded) PortaPro is a different story though. If you do not like clip-ons then buy cheap headband at Parts-Express.com:*Mini Headphones and convert Yuin G2A to supraaural.

Check my clip-ons review for more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back