Portapro BestBuy edition- like the 25th anniv. version but w/ normal price
Sep 25, 2010 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

chrislangley4253

Headphoneus Supremus

i'd like to mention that bestbuy has a pair that is similar to the 25th anniversary but the same price as normal ones. they are all black. the only difference between the bestbuy pair and the 25th anniversary is the packaging/coin which i didn't care about. the cord is also different than pictured it is actually a solid black cloth cable. and the part that is shiny on the 25th anniversary is matte black like the rest of the portapros with a small shiny outline. Basically it looks like someone took a pair of 25th anniversary phones and painted the black and white speckled cord black and the shiny aluminum part black as well. I actually like the aesthetics on the bestbuy ones more. Anyways, just figured i'd let some people know. Both me and a friend have ordered a bestbuy pair with no issues, i also own a pair of original porta's as well. Oh, and the bestbuy ones can be seen in my icon, i forgot i put that up.. :)  also the cord is as long as the cord on the original portapros i believe the 25th anniv version is a bit shorter. 

heres a link to the bestbuy pair. : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Koss+-+PortaPro+Portable+Headphones+-+Black/9492391.p?id=1218113927982&skuId=9492391&st=portapro&cp=1&lp=1

I also did a review of them on bestbuy's website that has another pic posted. Its around page 2-3 and it my name is ChristopherL4253 if you guys are interested to see what i had to say about them there and to see another picture.

here is a good link to a good quality photo of what the bestbuy ones actually look like : http://www.komplett.no/img/p/1200/430773.jpg

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 15
I also own one of these newer black PortaPros... Now I'm just looking for a cheap red one like they have in Scandinavia I hear.

Another one was purchased by me as a birthday gift for a friend...

And yet another one was bought by a different friend who heard mine, and was amazed that they where $30

...hope others can benefit from their great value, and If you are a new headfier, these are definitely worth looking into, even if you think you would rather have an IEM, the soundstage on these will likely convert you!

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
I also own one of these newer black PortaPros... Now I'm just looking for a cheap red one like they have in Scandinavia I hear.

Another one was purchased by me as a birthday gift for a friend...

And yet another one was bought by a different friend who heard mine, and was amazed that they where $30

...hope others can benefit from their great value, and If you are a new headfier, these are definitely worth looking into, even if you think you would rather have an IEM, the soundstage on these will likely convert you!

absolutely speaking the truth. Fantastic first purchase. I listen to these headphones about 10-14 hours a day, no kidding. I'm a big fan and so is everyone else who has heard them. I used to be a diehard IEM guy. I bought a pair of maximo im-590s, damn good iems by the way, they are very good at what they do, sound isolation and portability. However, I hardly ever wear them anymore. The portapros are my go to headphones in every scenario but mowing the grass. I plan on buying a pair of HD555's after becoming a believer in the open air style headphones, but these will probably be my go to portable headphones for a long, long, long time. Also, lifetime warranty! Heck yes. What an amazing product.

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 15
So glad I found my Porta Pros I thought I had lost. They went missing for over 6 months and they were stuck in my closet in a plastic bag when I felt like organizing my stuff.

Since I prefer the KSC75 by far due to the titanium drivers, I just now found out you can pop off the Porta Pro driver and replace it with the KSC75! Of course this doesn't really make sense to do unless you have both. This just made my day though since I kind of hate that Parts Express cheap headband.

BTW does anyone know if koss stuff is actually made and built INSIDE the USA? I think it is, but i'm not sure.

Anyone else also think the Porta Pro benefits a lot from an amp? Find this even more so with the Titanium drivers and I don't think it's my imagination.
KSC75 sounds more clear and slightly less muffled with an amp, however that's possible.

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 15
^Mine benefits from whatever is in my S9, working in concert with a well implemented EQ. I do enjoy listening to them out of my Sony stereo receiver, though I still use the EQ.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 15
I'm almost tempted to buy them just for their retro style and to see what all the fuss is about.
dt880smile.png

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
I'm almost tempted to buy them just for their retro style and to see what all the fuss is about.
dt880smile.png

They aren't going to beat your shure's but I guarantee you will be impressed. I don't know if you have a portable set-up but these will probably become your default portable ones, i know they did for me and they will be my at home ones for quite some time. (I'm living on a college budget and these headphones are far from bad). I don't see a point in getting better headphones until I upgrade my source. I use the analog out on my laptop and I'm pretty sure that even with the portapros that my laptop is the bottleneck of the two.

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 15
I'd also like to let anybody who is buying a pair know that I personally do feel that they benefit from a burn-in and a slightly long one too. I haven't seen improvement past 40-50 hours so thats where I suggest your really start to judge them. They open up a little after 10-15 hours and then again after about 40-50 from what I heard.

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 15
I much prefer the look and cloth cable of the black PP. I'm a little concerned about possibly sending it to Koss years from now--would they still have stock to replace it with? Best Buy seems to only be selling these online now.

I'd love to see them become the standard PortaPro, but it seems to be going the other direction.

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 15
I'm considering using these as my gym headphones. How much sound do these leak and has anyone here worked out or exercised with the PortaPros on? Are they likely to fall off if I were to go running/jogging and how well do they stay on with sweat, etc?

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 15
I use my KSC75 for gym phones - the clip on style helps stay on a lot more. In a gym environment, the leak really isn't an issue, IMO. I personally don't sweat that much on my head, but I can say that these are better than IEMs for the gym.

Quote:
I'm considering using these as my gym headphones. How much sound do these leak and has anyone here worked out or exercised with the PortaPros on? Are they likely to fall off if I were to go running/jogging and how well do they stay on with sweat, etc?

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
I use my KSC75 for gym phones - the clip on style helps stay on a lot more. In a gym environment, the leak really isn't an issue, IMO. I personally don't sweat that much on my head, but I can say that these are better than IEMs for the gym.

Good to know. Leak is kind of important for me because I don't want to be pumping iron and have people around me hear me blasting Celine Dion. What? It's relaxing!
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
I much prefer the look and cloth cable of the black PP. I'm a little concerned about possibly sending it to Koss years from now--would they still have stock to replace it with? Best Buy seems to only be selling these online now.

I'd love to see them become the standard PortaPro, but it seems to be going the other direction.

They replaced a pair for me, sent be another pair of the black ones. No questions asked :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back