Portaphiles still alive and well?
Nov 12, 2009 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
Ws checking on the status of an old Head-Fier who hasn't posted on here in months and came across one of his threads in his "history" about the Portaphile. I had totally forgotten all about this great little amp--even though it was an absolute battery vampire.

Anyone out there still use one?? And if so how does it stack up to the modern IEMs--IE8, UM3X, Trip Fi, etc.??

And for those of you who don't know about the Portaphile, google it. A few years back it was THE killer amp--could still be for all I know.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 24
Hi Mike, the Portaphile is alive but just about out of production. Black Gate caps have been out of production for a few years now and I've gone through what little stock was left of the size and series I use.

Demand for the Portaphile has dropped in the USA for the last year or so but has gain a strong following in Japan where most of my amps have been going these last two years. If you google it you'll find lots of pages in Japanese, probably more so than in English.

Well, hope I didn't break any rules with this info. Just thought it be interesting to share some insider secrets as to what's up with Portaphile. Happy listening!

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 24
Cesar: many thanks for the update. It is a truly great amp, one of the finest out there. Sorry those caps are no longer available. I truly feel it could keep pace with just about anything available today.

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 24
Speaking about the Japanese following, I just recently sold my V2 Maxxed to another head-fier in Japan who was very happy to get it. I loved that amp and I'm sure he will too, plus Ceasar provided GREAT service when I had minor issues I needed fixed or looked at. I've moved on to the D1 to have a DAC/Amp combo, but even with my modded opamps I can't claim the amp portion sounds better than the V2.

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 24
Tracyrick: yeah, that's just it. I know the thing ate batteries and took forever to burn in with those big caps, but once there, it mates so well with so many IEMs plus larger amps. And the internal switches provide an infinite variety of settings very few if any amps today provide.

Gee, maybe I better buy one before Cesar runs out of all the parts???

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cesar: many thanks for the update. It is a truly great amp, one of the finest out there. Sorry those caps are no longer available. I truly feel it could keep pace with just about anything available today.

Ditto. Tho' I've heard some amps that sound wonderful, I haven't yet heard any that are as remarkable as the Portaphile Maxxed -- in more ways than I have time to list at this late hour.

Yes, it is a power hog, and it's larger than the current crop of tiny portable amps, but it is still my favorite "home amp in a portable case". I use the latest iPower Pro 520mAH 9v Li-Po which is just smaller enough than the iPower 500 so that it slides in & out easily and gets a tiny bit more play time (I get a work day's worth with Class A on and wide bandwidth off). When I carry this amp I just take an extra iPower Pro which I can swap in about 30 seconds. A dedicated wall wart sits under my desk at work, just in case.

I do carry my RSA Tomahawk often in transit due to its 300-400 hrs playtime on 2xAA alkalines (I can just forget about that for weeks on end), and it is smooth sounding with my ES2 IEMs, with more volume control latitude and very low-level listening in the quiet of night -- but nothing is as "lifelike", extended, inner-detailed and dimensional as the Portaphile Maxxed. I'm sure some will agree with me and others not, but I hear it and I love it (immtbiker and bozebuttons -- hope they don't my bandy-ing their names about -- own and enjoy the Portaphile, which in itself is a solid recommendation).

Just for fair and equal perspective, Ray's new ultra tiny Shadow amp is very good, very musical and dynamic and is the one to get if you want a nearly-weightless-amp-with-guts that runs 9 days on a charge per Ray, or at least 70 hours or so per jamato (?). It's spring-loaded rocker controlled digital volume "pot" keeps perfectly even left-right levels and is marvelous for easy in-transit handling. A joy to hold, and obviously designed with IEMs in mind ... it won't drive the more demanding phones to proper levels (AKG701/501, HD800...) but drives Audeze planars and HeadDirect HE65 surprisingly well. Actually it does drive the HD600/650 to reasonable levels and sounds pretty good, if not optimal.

Still -- for me -- nothing yet comes up to the Portaphile's sound experience. If there are some new generation "wow" amps someone wants to lend me to compare -- with as an objective mind/ear as I can muster -- I'll be happy to comply.

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 24
just went to Portaphile site and message on the front page says "Out of Stock"

O well: it IS a very fine amp. Too bad it's no longer available
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just went to Portaphile site and message on the front page says "Out of Stock"

O well: it IS a very fine amp. Too bad it's no longer available
frown.gif

Who knows ... perhaps his creative spirit will be rekindled some day and, phoenix-like, take flight with some exciting new project... that would be fun, but meanwhile -- smoke 'em if you got 'em (Portaphiles, that is).

Nov 22, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 24
My Portaphile is a live and kickin'. Nice to see this thread.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 24
I will probably never get rid of my Portaphile. Even though I have few other portable amps around, Portaphile gets plenty listening time from me but not as portable way but desktop way with Elpac wallwart (15V) supplying the juice. My prefer method listening to music is still using the old cd player or vinyl setup. It is housed in rather plain looking Hammond enclosure but its sound quality is top notch and rivals good desktop amps to my ears.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 24
My Portaphiles are alive and kickin here also.
I just sent my standard Portaphile to Cezar to get a headphone jack fixed but my Maxxed is here keeping me company and drives all my phones nice. The nice detailed treble compliments my mellow Zune perfectly.
I hope sales of them come back to life here in the USA and Cezar also gets that other amp he wanted to make once...Sholin i think it is.
I think there was a part they stopped making and it killed it, but maybe he can make another version.
Team Portaphile!!!
tongue.gif
ortaphile-smiley:

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 24
What is a Portaphile? (Some of us aren't in the know ~ period!
biggrin.gif
)

Any links/pics/comparison to a TTVJ Milletts' Porty?

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 24
google Portaphile and you'll see it. I think the listing is something weird like "Index B' or some such. But they aren[t made anymore because Cesar cannot find the large caps--they're not made anymore. Too bad--they are whores on batteries but lots of us used them out of the wallwart and nothing on the market today can compare to the sound when all switches are "on"

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 24
I will have to crack my portaphile and see what caps are in it. I'm sure I can find the caps or some really nice boutique caps. I may have to ask Ceasar to make me a custom one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back