Portaphile Thread
May 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #47 of 425
It's funny I asked the same question to Cesar awhile back and this was the response that I received.

" Here is the feedback I've received from the one I have out for review. "

"I've listened to the 627X more thoroughly yesterday. The new amp is very good. It definitely has more bass body which IMO is a good thing and makes it a more balanced sound than the first version. The smooth spacious soundstage is still there not lacking one bit. I very much welcome the improvement in the bass body. The amp is a tad less airy than the first version but it doesn't bother me."

I have no evidence as to whom the reviewer is however other than the multi amp review here by Average Joe there was only one other review that I am aware of on the original 627 and that reviewer was pushing for an extended battery version and even mentions that in his review.

May 24, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #48 of 425
I cannot wait till mine arrives in 4-5 weeks time, I wanted one so bad but I never had the chance to auditioned it till a while ago. I know one very happy 627 owner who says this is the best portable single ended amp that one can get. 

May 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #51 of 425
It's funny I asked the same question to Cesar awhile back and this was the response that I received.

" Here is the feedback I've received from the one I have out for review. "

"I've listened to the 627X more thoroughly yesterday. The new amp is very good. It definitely has more bass body which IMO is a good thing and makes it a more balanced sound than the first version. The smooth spacious soundstage is still there not lacking one bit. I very much welcome the improvement in the bass body. The amp is a tad less airy than the first version but it doesn't bother me."

I have no evidence as to whom the reviewer is however other than the multi amp review here by Average Joe there was only one other review that I am aware of on the original 627 and that reviewer was pushing for an extended battery version and even mentions that in his review.

Could be Mike of Headfonia. Maybe the potentiometer improved the bass

Just wondering if we can trade in the old portaphile 627 to have it upgraded lol

May 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #52 of 425
With all of the clues that I left it wouldn't be hard to figure out who I thought it was. Anyway since I am not 100% certain I wasn't going to name anyone. If it was Mike hopefully we will see a review on the X compared to the original and to other top of the line amps.

May 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #56 of 425
Thanks,

As I mentioned earlier the X is heavier than the original however the build quality is alot better.  As far as sound quality goes the X has only been burning in for about 4 hours (laptop>mediamonkey>flac>WASAPI>odac>627X>Heir Audio 8.A) and I will agree that the X has more bass body than the original howevever I feel it is as airy as the original and does not lack in that regard at all.  The pop upon powering the amp is still there however everytime you turn the amp on it powers up and it has yet to need to be powered off and then on again to power up like the original.  There is now a dedicated power switch unlike the original which was turned on by turning the volume knob.  More to come I hope to have some photos up later on.

May 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #60 of 425
So it is basically a complete different board design, you don't see  . I for one love the form factor of the 627x, itt will stick up nicely on the DD socket 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back