Portaphile Thread
Nov 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #196 of 425

I've tried the 627X for a while now with my "iPod Classic + CLAS -dB + 627X + FitEar ToGo 334/AKG K3003"-rig and it sounds better than my two other AMPs (TTVJ Slim, ALO Rx-MK3-B). The soundstage is wider and deeper, the bass has a bit more authority but is still very well controlled, the separation and individual characteristics of instruments is more defined, and most importantly it is virtually (99.5 %) black with the extremely sensitive (and I repeat), extremely sensitive FitEar ToGo 334. In comparison the ALO Rx-MK3-B is a "hissing hell".

Hi guys, is there anyone who have the portaphile 627/x and the RX-Mk3B or SR-71B and compared the performance with the balanced function of the latter 2 amps?

To Aero Dynamik: was your above comparison using the single-ended or balanced mode of the Mk3b? 

The reason I am asking is I have the Clas -db/SR-71B fully balanced in/out and am seeking to try out a different amp. I have been reading rave reviews of amps like this portaphile, the Bialbero Epsilon S, etc. But I can't seem to find any comparison to the balanced operation of the Mk3b or the Sr71B.

Just a light hearted comment here, does anyone notice that with each new amp debut, it seems the feedback from users usually are: better separation, wider soundstage, etc in comparison to the previous generation amps. By now it would seem the latest amps have a soundstage the size of a basketball court or stadium compared to amps from 7-10 years ago   :)  These are just my thoughts when reading the reviews in general, not only in this thread, nothing personal.

Balanced mode, and I feel the 627X (single ended mode) is the better AMP. Actually, balanced doesn't do anything for me, and I tried to start a thread about it here, but the response was practically nonexistent.

Well, in my case it might have been imagination, but in comparison to my iPod Touch generation 4 (which I think I was comparing to with out mentioning it), I feel it's a fact. Right now my appreciation of the 627X boils down to its ability to tame some of the edges that I hear when listening to not so great  pop/rock recordings with my otherwise absolute favorite headphone (any type) the AKG K3003. Also, more than anything I appreciate the mids of the 627X, especially female voices through the AKG K3003. Very realistic, organic feeling.

I should add that in general I find the effect of separate AMP/DACs to minimal and for me not really worth the money. Guess I just don't have those "golden ears", and to some extent I always seem to regret my purchases of gear, except for headphones. I guess an AMP can be a good thing for those hard to drive full size headphone 300 Ohm or more, but for sensitive IEMs I really can't recommend a separate AMP.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #197 of 425
  To my ears 627x sounds best with brighter gears. It sort of balances things out. For example Ex-1000 and 627x is quiet a joyful experience, just thinking about it makes me want to go upstairs and grab those two gears and listen to it. 

Having said that I do not think 627x is an amp that will rule all the IEM/CIEM out there. No it does not lack power, it has alot of it, once again it comes down to synergy. 

X2! Believe that's what I was trying to express in my previous post.

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #198 of 425
Does the Portaphile 627 work with digital USB OTG output from Android phones, as discussed in this thread? http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

OK nevermind. Its just an amp. Doesn't have a DAC.

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #199 of 425
Hey,
just to say that if an EU head-fier is looking to buy this great amp, I might sell mine 
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/699138/ic-portaphile-627x

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #200 of 425
I have the 627 and the 627x. I find myself preferring the 627x because of the massive soundstage and equality of presentation across lows mids and highs. I find the 627 to have really great mids, as previously mentioned by many. They are super smooth with high resolution and a more upfront presentation than on the 627x. There are many who pref the 627 over the 627x for this reason. However, doing an A/B test between the two, I don't think the 627x has worse mids, it's just that the presentation is not as midcentric as the 627.

The 627 manages to sound more realistic because of the upfront nature of the mids: as they're recessed on the gen2  the immersion isn't as intimate. But the 627x has that soundstage, so it's a different kind of immersion being achieved, which i prefer.
Cesar upgraded the potentiometer in the gen 2, and it really does sound like a big brother amp to the gen 1. After A/Bing for about 8 hours, I consistently end up switching back to the 627x for extended sessions. 

system:
MOG 320kbps streaming service > ifi mercury usb > ifi iUSB > ifi gemini > ifi iPurifier > ODAC >Audioquest Victoria 3.5 to RCA > ifi iTube > audioquest victoria 3.5 to RCA > 627x > headphone lounge silver occ custom cables on shure se846's.

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #201 of 425
Hi , i want to ask Pappucho a few question , i have just bought a second hand Portaphile 627x , but the sellers apparently have lost the invoice bill , so i want to know if there is graved on the amplifier a serial numbers ? If there is , can you trace for the Invoice bill ? And how many years of warranty that you do for the 627x . Thank you very much .       PS : my English is very bad , i am in France , i hope you can understand me .

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #204 of 425
  Hi , i want to ask Pappucho a few question , i have just bought a second hand Portaphile 627x , but the sellers apparently have lost the invoice bill , so i want to know if there is graved on the amplifier a serial numbers ? If there is , can you trace for the Invoice bill ? And how many years of warranty that you do for the 627x . Thank you very much .       PS : my English is very bad , i am in France , i hope you can understand me .

Officially there's a two year parts and labor warranty, you just cover the shipping.  Unofficially I will still fix it as long as I'm alive and you cover the shipping!  Shoot me a PM with the buyer's name and we can discuss it there.  Thanks!

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #205 of 425
Thank's Papucho for the reply , I have just received the 627x , i have a few question : How can i do to charge , i must turn to on ? and how can i know when the battery is full ? Apart from that , i am very happy , the sound quality is EXCELLENT . Talking about the invoice bill and the warranty , i am the third owner , i am asking to the second to give me the name of the first one . When i have his name i'll send you a PM . Thank you .  best regards

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #206 of 425
Being a 627x owner I can help answer some of your questions... To charge ensure that the amp is turned off and use the included charger Wallwart. There is a tiny pinprick red light on the rear of the 627x that is illuminated when charging, it goes out when the amp is fully charged.

Thank's Papucho for the reply , I have just received the 627x , i have a few question : How can i do to charge , i must turn to on ? and how can i know when the battery is full ? Apart from that , i am very happy , the sound quality is EXCELLENT . Talking about the invoice bill and the warranty , i am the third owner , i am asking to the second to give me the name of the first one . When i have his name i'll send you a PM . Thank you .  best regards

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #210 of 425
Sure, but sometimes you might her some noises depending on your powerline.

with 627x you get a nice sounding gear with great after sale support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back