Portables for someone who LOVES the Ortho sound of his HE-500?
Jul 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

disastermouse

Headphoneus Supremus
What would you guys propose for someone who wants something portable and loves the ortho sound of the HE-500.  They must work for the gym or out and about (little sound leakage, hold position or seal well, etc).  They don't have to totally mimick the exact dynamics, but I'm looking for clarity and instrument separation.  Soundstage is less important on the go, since I won't be closing my eyes much and my visual cues will limit me from allowing the soundstage to expand to otherwise attainable levels like it would if I could sit back and close my eyes.

Thanks for your expertise!

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 4
I would say for a monitor like sound... Use what sound engineers use.

The Etymotic ER-4 Series.

Cheers, Jim

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 4
The AKG K3003, UM3x, PFE232, Sony XBA4 and Sennheiser IE80 are great sounding IEMs and canbe use for active listening.

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 4
Look into the Martin Logan Mikros 70:

"Inspired by the sonic clarity and detail of MartinLogan's legendary electrostatic speakers."

Interesting.. and being that also love the ortho (and electrostat) sound.. it's surely got my attention.  They're getting released at the end of this month.. but .  Per ML's facebook page, they'll be available for purchase at/through their authorized dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back