portable source gear vs head phones?
Feb 25, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 11
which is the most important for sound quailty?
Depends on the budget and what you’re driving. This is such a moveable feast that you need to establish some parameters. Mid-fi vs Totl, iems vs planars, low sensitivity vs high efficiency. I’d never state a fixed percentile absent these criteria.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 11
headphones is the most important. Chose your one favorite first, then pick the rest later
(Trying to think how to frame this without appearing rude, which is not my intention).
Given you own a DMP -Z1, I’m not sure you can make this argument. Leaving aside your Stax (requiring their own amp, and the vintage SA5000) your player/source is six or so times expensive than the Senn HD800. Clearly at some stage you decided that the source was significantly more important. At the totl level, this is not an infrequent (or incorrect) position, horses for courses as they say.
To me synergy is the most important consideration

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 11
(Trying to think how to frame this without appearing rude, which is not my intention).
Given you own a DMP -Z1, I’m not sure you can make this argument. Leaving aside your Stax (requiring their own amp, and the vintage SA5000) your player/source is six or so times expensive than the Senn HD800. Clearly at some stage you decided that the source was significantly more important. At the totl level, this is not an infrequent (or incorrect) position, horses for courses as they say.
To me synergy is the most important consideration
Yes, that is why I said that one should pick a favorite headphones first, and then worrying about the sources. In which case mine is 800s/anniversary :), and as you have known that I have gone through a few systems already

Feb 25, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 11
I think the advice you’re getting on your other thread is more relevant and more context-related

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 11
lol if i watch more review that dont mention sound quailty im going to throw the internet out lol.well it looks like sandisc is geting my money i thought this after seeing my fancy fiio player with broke glass. they have no contacted me back about ordering new glass. i have no true idea how it broke. but im forgetful. but i am sure i can drop a sandisk off roof and it will still work. plus i love the clip for my runs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back