Portable Showdown: Ultrasone Edition 7 vs ALO Edition 9 [Impressions]
Jul 12, 2008 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Akabeth

500+ Head-Fier
After comprehensively reading the big Ultrasone threads, I deemed that there was one last headphone I wanted to hear in the Ultrasone lineup: it's the Edition 7. I have never thought it was possible to see such an expensive piece of equipment outside of meets or closed doors. Everything that happened was truly unplanned, and what a pleasant surprise it was.

This write-up is not meant as a review, but rather a compilation of impressions during the listening session.
And also, please note, that these are written based on memory and the notes I took on a piece of tissue while listening in the Hilton

==============================

It was 4 days ago in Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego, CA where I first saw a "true" company flagship. I have just finished my round in the South Course. I was walking around as I finished up my spaghetti while listening to my iPod. I looked left and right, people passing by, players putting in the green, foursomes teeing off. One thing caught my notice, one young man (~20 yrs old) next to the rails by the pro shop had a shiny blue looking headphone that I've never seen.
eek.gif
I came closer bearing in mind this might be something else... so I wrapped my Ed9's around my neck, iPod turned off.

I approached him with a tip-toe attitude and he suddenly started walking towards me. I kept looking at my neck and he was caught a look at mine... An ensuing conversation followed and he is in fact wearing an Edition 7 paired with Pico and 5.5gen 80gb iPod! We walked for a few minutes into the Hilton and proceeded to our 2.5 hour-long listening session...

Testbed:
Edition 7/ALO Edition 9 --> HeadAmp Pico/RSA Predator --> iPod 5.5g 80gb/iPod classic 160gb

Song genres tested: Rock, Trance, Jazz, Electronica, Pop, Classical, Modern Hip-Hop, and of course LIVE!
biggrin.gif

Edition 7's and Pico are fully burnt in
Edition 9's have ~280hrs; RSA Predator have ~350-400hrs

On both amps and iPods I couldn't really tell the difference in sound signature. Keep in mind that we listened to a variety of music, so I couldn't really sample nor remember all of the songs we sampled. Firstly, his Edition 7 had slightly less bass or in fact less prominent low end in general and a [barely noticeable] bigger sound stage compared to my Edition 9. This difference is so small I had to go classical and turn the volume up for it to show up. Just for gigs, I asked him this and he was able to confirm this. Drums in live music sounds slightly punchier in my Ed9 than his (I'm not sure if this is due to my maturing pair, so bloated bass?). But then again, my Ed9's ain't stock... Ken has souped this thing up. Sound quality wise the Edition 7 had a "very slightly" lighter flavor than my Ed9's, again not by much at all. Midrange is smooth on both and the highs are very similar likewise. Strings, violins, saxophones, entire piano and chorus pieces sounded pretty much identical.

One statement was clear with the Edition 7's though: build quality. This thing screams "EXPENSIVE" all over it! My jaw dropped due the overall look of the headphones. Those white pads felt very soft on my ears, and the blue finish just made me drool like the Niagara falls... The white cabling is very flexible and is actually surprisingly long (compared to Audiogon's pics)! o_O Oh did I mention we had people come to our little area just to look at our headphones from across the hall. These things are quite the bling-bling under the lobby lights.
biggrin.gif
Heck we even let this little 5 year old kid listen to both, and asked which one he liked better. It was quite funny to say the least. He liked it both but he said he like the blue better on 'that' headphone... DOH!!!!

Back to the point, the clamping force is there... just like the Ed9's. I thought his should be looser than mine due to age and wear; but was I wrong. His successfully retained the clamping force.

Unfortunately, the meeting had to be cut short and we parted ways. I had to go back to my room to shower while he had to drive back to his kids at home. I surely wouldn't have mind listening to his Edition 7 for a little while longer, because I have never heard a stock Ed9 in my life.

Concluding points:
1) Deal or no deal? No deal.
I wasn't exactly impressed after I heard the Ed7; also note that he had it for 2 years and it IS fully burnt in before he bought it used. It was quite similar to my non-stock Ed9's. Just ain't worth the extra grand :\
2) To the other guy, which one did he prefer?
He liked my Ed9's better!!
eek.gif
Apparently this guy is a basshead like me, and owns an L3000. When I asked him about the L3000 all he did was smile... (a series of bad mouthing and curse words ensues inside my head) He said it sounded different to both our headphones in the "fluidity"... that's the only word he used to describe it T_T (cry)
3) Positive(s).
- Build quality and aesthetics is [imo] a step above even the Ed9's.
- Cables are noticeably more flexible than my 18AWG's. It's a lot easier to handle and twist around.
4) Negatives(s)
- None really. It's a great headphone by all means.
5) So after all that which one do I prefer?
In all honesty, I prefer my ALO modded Edition 9, but not by much though
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
If someone handed the Edition 7 free of charge to me, I would gladly accept it
biggrin.gif
They indeed sound, feel, and look like siblings next to each other.

6) This does not really fit anywhere but I'll write it nonetheless. It's quite amazing how hobbies can bring people together. Whether it's golf, music, or whatever. I would have never thought a total stranger who I've never met in my life could ever do any of this... Thanks head-fi.

Final thoughts
To hammer the point, I do suspect Ken's recabling had something to do with this. It's quite strange for the Ed9's to be on par with an Ed7 :\ considering the price tag [yes I'm trying to hammer this down].
Does this make the Ed9 a bang-for-the-buck headphone? umm... a simple and resounding: NO! This listening session and his smile only made me even more hell bent to [hopefully] listen to an L3000 in a future meet. I just know the Leatherhead has something special to offer
biggrin.gif
It never ends does it?

==============================

phew~
There we go
biggrin.gif
My first little write up in head-fi. I tried my best, so I hope you like it ^_^"

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont talk to me about Edition 9 and Leatherhead. Just dont. I want to be happy with my Pro750s! *cry*

Thanks for the write up Akabeth
smily_headphones1.gif
Good to see the new flagship maintains the same lofty heights as the old.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh by all means enjoy your Pro750's
biggrin.gif
They are great headphones in their own right

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great write up! Was he a fellow head-fier?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
; No, but I did mention head-fi to him
cool.gif
He may pop-out one of these days O-o

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't mention Leatherhead and E9 in the same sentence.
tongue.gif

I realize that they are in different leagues. I know you've heard through them, they sound lovely eh?
cool.gif

Until I hear them Leatherheads, the Edition 9s are my 'bass-head flagship'
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 23
This cat had a Pico but wasn't a Headfier? He surely saw it mentioned on the HeadAmp site, right? I sure as hell wouldn't know what an L3000 or Ed 7 are without Head-Fi. He's gotta at least be an Audiogon member or something. Otherwise, that's just weird.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to be happy with my Pro750s!

It is cheaper to be happy with them. I liked Pro750 enough and had to get Ed9 to see what they are like, even though I thought you have to be insane to buy that expensive headphones.

Unexpectedly the Ed9 grabbed my balls and squeezed them very hard (metaphorically speaking, I know how to use them), and now I have three pairs of them, making me very insane
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This cat had a Pico but wasn't a Headfier? He surely saw it mentioned on the HeadAmp site, right? I sure as hell wouldn't know what an L3000 or Ed 7 are without Head-Fi. He's gotta at least be an Audiogon member or something. Otherwise, that's just weird.

I have been into the headphone hi-fi (or more accurately, mid-fi) for quite some time, and I just recently joined Head-Fi.

I had heard of the place before, but some of my fellow music nerds told me this place was filled with a bunch of snooty audiophile snobbery and tons of drama. I haven't seen much of it myself. This forum is far more mature than most I have accounts on.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 23
AFAIK, and I know, because I have asked them, and found out, and have a friend that owns both, the Edition 7 and 9 are exactly the same headphone, inside and outside, colors different, but that's it...I'm assuming that the differences in sound should be basically to some internal mod done while recabling, and somewhat by the cable, but honestly I doubt that any cable will turn out to make those two so different...

Of course the UE7 is not worth the extra grand and a half. They were released in different dates, while the edition 7 was out, as an exclusive limited edition product, the UE9 was not even a project, and while the UE9 was released the ED7 was completely sold out...the extra-cost of the 7 is just due to the collectible value, and the wooden box...just my two cents...

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 23
Sov, I was wondering when you'd show up
tongue.gif

Yeah, it felt a bit weird from my standpoint after hearing them both and having the Ed7 owner to like my Ed9 better and the fact that they sounded so similar considering pricetag. As I said in the write-up I think the recabling did add a bit of magic in the low end especially.

^Also have you A/B'd them in a reference setup yet?

We were doing it on portables you see, and the most silent place we could find was the lobby in Hilton :\

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sov, I was wondering when you'd show up
tongue.gif

Yeah, it felt a bit weird from my standpoint after hearing them both and having the Ed7 owner to like my Ed9 better and the fact that they sounded so similar considering pricetag. As I said in the write-up I think the recabling did add a bit of magic in the low end especially.

^Also have you A/B'd them in a reference setup yet?

We were doing it on portables you see, and the most silent place we could find was the lobby in Hilton :\

If you use the same setup for both, I do not see why they should sound different due to the setup, as the drivers are exactly the same, and nothing is added inside as in the case of the PROLines for protection purposes, so in any setup, if they indeed sound different, it will show you the same result...

Yes I have heard both in a good setup, but unfortunately in a noisy environment as well, and they sounded pretty the same to me, even while the ED7 was recabled...

Rudi owns both, and he told me that the ED7 tends to sound a little harsh sometimes in the very high end with a few recordings, and we were blaming the re-cable for that, but now that you point out more or less the same result, I'm assuming that maybe they have a different padding material, or simply different padding inside the cup as well...I have pics of the Edition 9 guts, but I have never seen the 7 guts...
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #15 of 23
It was fun reading this. Thanks!

I really enjoy my Edition 9, and for a while I owned both #439 with stock cable and #440 with APS v3 cable. I owned #440 for about three months before having them re-cabled. About a month after they were re-cabled I found the pair with sequential serial number, and impulsively bought the second pair as a backup because I liked the first pair so much.

The only differences I heard after mine were re-cabled (and given 100 hours of music through the new cable while off my head) was a lifting of a very slight veil over the micro-details, and a slight improvement in bass control and volume (like 1 db, maybe 2). While they sounded a bit brighter when the cable was new, after the 100 hours of burn-in the sound signature didn't sound very different. But, compared side by side they do sound about 5% better to me due to the improved micro-details/micro-dynamics. Orkney mentioned that the pair he sold me sounded better than the two pairs that two friends owned, and that his friends agreed, so it seems there may be some variation between the stock sound of one pair vs another.

After all that, I traded the #439 and some cash for HE60/HEV70 and never looked back; and even though they couldn't be more different I love them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back