Portable large storage audiophile player help
Jul 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

luisdent

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a new portable "mp3" player that meets a few requirements.

- Large storage capacity ( >= 128gb)
- Excellent audio quality (at least as good as an ipod touch 5g or sansa clip+)
- Line out for better quality is o.k. if necessary, as I have a portable amp
- Not too large physically (should fit in pocket, not much larger than ipod classic or touch 5g)
- 10+ band high quality EQ or rockbox compatible

So far the best solution I've found is the ipod classic rockboxed, but I'm on a mac with no access to a PC and thus far haven't been able to get emcore on my ipod.  I tried from a linux virtual machine.  I don't have windows or any windows friends pcs.  My current classic has a bad drive, but it is still "working" somewhat to test things.  So far no luck though.

I have a clip zip that I love, but it is limited by memory.  Even with a 64gb expansion card (64gb is current max card size) that isn't a lot of space.  I thought about using one of these:  http://dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001  with a 128gb SD card.  I could wrap it around the player and stick it to the back.  Does anyone know if that would work with the rockbox software?  I wouldn't want to buy it all and find out it isn't detected or something.

I've though about just using more than one micro sd card, but there are a lot of downfalls to that, such as swapping cards when driving, loading times if I want to use the database option, etc.  It's a pain to get that card in and out without some sort of tool I'd have to carry to poke it out of the slot.  Lastly, I think it will wear down the slot and/or card contacts.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.  I don't mind spending a little more than something like an ipod touch, but I don't have an infinite budget.  I know the cowon devices are well reviewed, but "if possible" i'd like to avoid hard drives, although not ruling them out.  The cowons are said to have shoddy mac support and I can't tell how customizable the eq is.  I want the ability to adjust parametric EQ bands like rockbox at specific frequencies or at least a lot of preset frequencies.

I'm not opposed to "rigging" something up (like the adapter and the clip zip).  I don't care what it looks like as long as it is reasonably durable and useable.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 6
AK100 with a 64Gb card in both slots.

Awesome sound quality, 160Gb in total storage, tiny size.

Or the Red Wine Audio modded version if the 22ohm output bothers you.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
AK100 with a 64Gb card in both slots.

Awesome sound quality, 160Gb in total storage, tiny size.

Or the Red Wine Audio modded version if the 22ohm output bothers you.

Sexy, but after two cards i'd be pushing $1000.  Unfortunately that's over my budget.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181173784609?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

can also be rockbox'd, small basic with lots of storage.

O.k.  That is really freaking sexy.  I had no idea people were doing that.  If you rockbox that does it recognize the storage though?  It stinks I wouldn't be getting a 1 year warranty at a minimum, but that's a pretty sweet setup...

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 6
Only read somewhere else about rockboxing the upgraded minis,I personally I haven't used rockbox in years. You may also be interested in the diy mod to improve the sound quality even more. Read this thread to see whether you may be interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/269604/the-apple-diymod-my-take-on-the-famous-imod-56k-killer-featuring-3g-4g-5g-and-nano-1g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back