Portable IEM for working out
Jan 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

N0sferatu

500+ Head-Fier
First off...yes I've searched the forums already.

I'm looking for a new IEM.  I don't like the fact that mine hisses away a lot at certain sources (likely due to the low resistence 16ohm nature).

So I want...

A) something that requires a little more drive
B) universal fit (I don't want custom fitting)
C) good to workout with (e.g. won't fall out easily)
D) obviously good sounding but better be good on bass
E) not breaking my wallet.  I'm flexible on price but I'm kinda reluctant to spend IE8 type pricing of $400. 
F) something I can buy from a US location

To give you an idea, I have the Denon AH-C560R currently and they have decent bass and sound dynamics for what they are but this hiss drives me insane on quiet pieces. 

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 7
The Westone UM3x, Grado GR10, PFE232 are recommended and they all sound great.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 7
For the last couple of years I've used:

Sansa Fuze + LOD + Arrow/iBasso T3 + ETY4s

The ETY's block out the sound of the gym (which can get loud) and stay in your ears well (using Comply tips).  The cord is tough and doesn't seem to be too effected by sweat (unlike some other cords, such as with the q-Jays, that got stiff after awhile of use).  The only problem is microphonics but the clip helps with that immensely.  Finally, the sound is great, esp. with the Arrow amp (although the DigiZoid sounds good too, at less than half the price).

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
What is the source for the workout IEM? With those specs known, a better matched IEM can be identified. 

Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGH-i777) AT&T

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 7
Yes, that 16 ohms is big factor with the hiss on low or no volume.  If you like the C560R, and want to go the cheap route, putting 3.5mm ohm adapter of say 30 ohms might do the trick. 

However, if want to get a new earphone/iem all together, the three Zarim posted are all good.  I've owned all three and find the um3x has the best bass performance, and if bass is what you're seeking along with great dynamic sound as indicated by calling out the IE8, but don't want to spend $400, why not spend $125-175 (going prices) for the Atrio MG7. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back