Portable iDevice DAC sub-$200
Nov 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13
Dear Industry,

I am a budget-conscious student audiophile. If any of you decide to make a sub-200 iDevice DAC, we here at head-fi would (if it were any good) buy the **** out of it.

Make it happen.

All the best,

Kojaku

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

But seriously. Am I the only person waiting on this :)?

Kojaku

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
Dear Industry,
I am a budget-conscious student audiophile. If any of you decide to make a sub-200 iDevice DAC, we here at head-fi would (if it were any good) buy the **** out of it.
Make it happen.
All the best,
Kojaku
But seriously. Am I the only person waiting on this
smily_headphones1.gif
?
Kojaku

I suspect given the licensing and that the target market is obviously going to be people on HF etc, every iOS digital transport/DAC is going to be as expensive as they think they can get away with. I'm a big Apple fan but am hoping that eventually USB on the go is enabled for digital audio with Android devices, in which case you could probably get a similar sort of set up with PMP/portable USB DAC/amp for a fair bit cheaper.

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 13
I suspect given the licensing and that the target market is obviously going to be people on HF etc, every iOS digital transport/DAC is going to be as expensive as they think they can get away with. I'm a big Apple fan but am hoping that eventually USB on the go is enabled for digital audio with Android devices, in which case you could probably get a similar sort of set up with PMP/portable USB DAC/amp for a fair bit cheaper.

Yeah, I guess volume means nothing to these companies or Apple...I just can't stand the idea of spending as much as I spent on my modded sr225i's and my desktop DAC & amp setup all put together just to get a portable DAC solution...

Kojaku

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 13
Well, presuming ICS for Android eventually unlocks USB DAC functionality and people on XDA get rooting (because we want this on a cheapish PMP/phone that can just be used for music), something like the Fiio E17 that's supposed to be coming out early next year should't break the bank and fit the bill.

The Hifiman players getting Rockbox also interests me, although battery life is still a concern. Same for Teclast with the T59. I loved the sound of the T51 but wasn't impressed with the UI and read a lot of horror stories about others failing. Can't win!

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 13
I am considering getting a 602 once Rockbox is more stable, then if I like it, upgrading to whatever succeeds the 801. Certainly that is a better value for money proposition, and with Rockbox there's the opportunity for gapless etc.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
I am considering getting a 602 once Rockbox is more stable, then if I like it, upgrading to whatever succeeds the 801. Certainly that is a better value for money proposition, and with Rockbox there's the opportunity for gapless etc.

My big problem is that my phone, mp3 player, and video player are all in one device with 16 gigs of space for $200. If I add the cost of an algorhythm solo, that's
still only like 60 bucks more than an 801, but with all the features of my phone built in (internet, apps, etc.)... Plus, it cuts out a few more pieces of equipment to carry around if I want a video player, internet browser, mp3 player, etc. In either case, though, my wallet still can't handle the heat, so that's why I'm asking...

Kojaku

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
If I add the cost of an algorhythm solo, that's still only like 60 bucks more than an 801...

... which is much better I believe. I yet to hear Solo but I heard many Wolfsons implementations and no one could competed to HM-801 IMHO. I suggest you to compare with HM-60x.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 13
I think the main problem is licensing from apple.  I remember reading somewhere (i think in the x3 thread)(in the e11 thread) where Feiao (fiio) was asked about doing a cheaper version of the CLAS and he said that they tried to get the license to do a clas competitor but Apple refused to grant the license to a Chinese company (based presumably on China's reputation for disregarding intellectual property rights).  To be honest, I don't think a $200 idevice dac will ever happen.  

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 13
I just wish Apple would make, bypassing the internal DAC, more accessible all around.  I guess they definitely know how to squeeze every dollar out of their products.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Does the iStreamer not foot the bill? Although it's transportable rather than actually portable but you could rig up a power supply from Energizer if need be.

Technically it does...But the extra RCA cableage and power supply could complicate carrying it around...

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back