Portable Headphones
Mar 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HolyCheese

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking for some new portable headphones with an absolute max price of $200. (preferably less)
I'm planning to run them with my Zune HD no amplifier.

Music I listen to:
-Blues
-Dire Straits
-Hugh Lauri
-Pink Floyd
And almost everything else too but these I listen to the most.

The sound I like:
Hard to describe since I dont have a lot of experience, I currently own HD518's but i don't really like the sound. I have a feeling there is too much bass and it isn't well defined. But i do love the detail they have.
So a well defined quality bass is very much prefered over alot of bass. 
I like detail and soundstage too.

Specs I want:
-Under 200$ (I prefer ~150$)
-I prefer a shorter cable or something twisted
-Over ear
-They have to block (some) sound out. 

So far I have found these headphones:
-AKG K271 MK II - I really LOVE the looks on them. Heard they are good too. But they need an amp so they are not suitable right?
-V-Moda crossfade - I like the looks on them too and i've also read some good thing about them. (Is there a difference between LP and LP2? $150 vs 200$ excl shipping)
-Audio Technica ath-m50 - It is recommended by some people. Don't know anything about it yet.
-Shure Srh840

I really LOVE the looks of AKG, it looks just awesome. Since that is no option (?) what do you suggest?

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 5

Yep, they are on the list but the OP was trying to give a general overview of what's out there and describe the type of sound they offer. As you can see, they don't score very well with regards to sound/build quality/VALUE, etc. I thought it was interesting to read what an audiophile has to say about the Beats from a subjective point of view. He groups them based on price tier, not whether they are good or not. Good luck in your search. Super fun reading about all these 'phones if you ask me.
Quote:
It had beats on the list xD
Well i guess i can give it a try. Thank you. 

Edit: There is also a similar thread on IEMs (IEM forum) if you decide you want to try that route. I eliminated those as I can never get the dang things to stay in my tiny ear canals 
angry_face.gif

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 5
Well I give up on IEM's too. I own a pair and they are very comfortable but I can only listen to them if i lay in my bed or sit perfectly still. 
If i'm moving the sound is so damn anoying. If i'm riding my bike every shock sounds like someone puts a toilet plunge on my eardrums and shakes it. Or like when you drive on the highway with your windows open.

I've read the thread and there isn't much interesting in there, since these headphones target small and are mostly on ear. I myself prefer over ear ones and dont mind portability since I have them arround my neck most times anyway. The wooden headphones look really great imo but unfortunately too expensive. Except for the fischer old skool they pretty cool and are cheap. But they do lack isolation.

Edit: The ATH-m50's are interesting :)

Edit2: How do the m50's sound if unamped?

Edit3: Found them for €125 ($160) including shipping to the netherlands and bought them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back