Portable Headphones to match with Fiio X3ii
Dec 14, 2015 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BillC

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I'm not new to this but I haven't been immersed in headphones/head-fi for the last few years. I recently needed to update my mobile rig and ended up with a Fiio X3ii. I'm happy with the sound with my Shure SE535 IEMs on the go but sometimes I just don't want to put in IEMs. I saw the Sennheiser Momentum 2 On-ears and was intrigued: they look good, fold up for portability and the price is good - currently around $150 on sale. But looking around I've seen some comments that their sound is a bit tuned towards the heavy bass, 'fun' sound. So, any suggestions for me?

Clean, close to neutral sound.

Closed, so I can wear them in a coffee shop without upsetting folks near-by but not active noise cancelling.

Comfortable, including when I'm wearing glasses.

Fold up to fit in my messenger bag/backpack.

Work well with the X3ii

My music tastes are pretty eclectic and I'm not good with genre labels but lean toward prog (Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Riverside), post rock (Talk Talk, Tortoise), art rock/ambient (David Sylvian, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp) and jazz (Miles Davis, Coltrane). For the most part I listen to heavier/louder stuff on speakers and closer/quieter stuff on headphones.

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 2
OK, so I think I'm down to Senn Momentum 2.0 Over Ears or the NAD HP50. I've seen some reliability concern with the NAD, some concern about the Senns being too warm. Anyone want to convince me on one rather than the other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back