Portable guitar amp?
May 29, 2007 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
My little cousin knows that I can make headphone amps now, so he is wanting me to make him a guitar amp that he could hook onto his belt and play. I thought about just using a standard CMOY type config with a single channel chip, but I thought I should ask for suggestions on here.

Anyone know of a good configuration for a guitar amp that I could mount in a small enough case that would be portable. Also, I don't know if he needs it to have a speaker output or headphone output. I will have to ask him. I don't know much about guitar, but most amps have bass/treble/middle controls, but I can only assume they are for fine tuning?

-edit-

Also, he is by no means an audiophile, so anything will do.

May 29, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 6
He'll probably want a distortion function included. Some just use preamp/postamp, and some use more advanced features. Reverb would probably be something he'd want to.

Point is, he might be expecting more than just an amplified signal.

GAD

May 29, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 6
The possibility of him wanting distortion might be there. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, that is something I had not thought of. He would not want reverb/delay/flange or any of that more advanced stuff. Anyone with thoughts on how to introduce distortion into an amp?

May 29, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 6
one word: Pignose

7100_lg.jpg

battery or a/c
veery portable (guitar strap)
GREAT sound + distortion

May 29, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Bloody Hell - I had a whole reply typed out and lost it. Sigh...

I play guitar, and I've had my share of headphone guitar amps. If I were to buy one, the must-have features would be crunch (distortion) and reverb. Without reverb, the crunch sounds flat.

AFAIK, distortion is accomplished be upping the gain on a preamp which is fed to a power amp. At least that's the easy way. As for reverb, I only know how to do it analog with something called a reverb tank. Digitally I'm utterly without clue.

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back