Portable/Desktop, or Potable and Desktop
Aug 17, 2021 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shu48

New Head-Fier
Hi. This is my first real post. I'm hoping for a little advice.

The first headphones I really fell for, because of the clarity and bass were a pair of £300 Bose, many years ago. I'd never heard headphones actually produce bass. They were always tinny things. But the build quality was shocking and the headband broke, probably within a year, and I carried on with broken cans for years. Eventually, I invested in Dt1770 pros, as I wanted a sturdier headphone, didn't like the open backs, and a pair of £15 Beyers were my second favourite headphone when I auditioned the Bose. I've been very happy with how they sound on my Nad D1050 desktop DAC.

The NAD is part of my home hifi. Which these days consists of a Technics pre, Technics 1200 deck (hifi cart) NAD C272 power, MS Aviano 8s,and BK Monolith Plus. However, whenever I am away from my system I miss my music. The sound from my smart phone is horrendous, and I pine for my NAD DAC. It’s all set up at my girlfriend’s house. I’ve got myself a little bolt-hole/man cave and need music here.

I have the Technics power amp that came with the Technics pre that I’m using with the NAD in my main system. I'm thinking of bringing it here. I thought if I got a budget DAC I could plug my headphones into the jack on the front for now, and get a couple of small bookshelves. However, the headphone out is something of an unknown quantity. I did try it once, but I only got the Technics combo for the pre for my NAD amp. NAD put the headphone jack on the pre (which I don’t have), and Technics put it on the power. This means the only headphone out I have is on the NAD DAC, and the Technics power, which has been sitting around unused. Mainly this is because it doesn’t have the power for my floorstanders, and it’s sound signature seems like it would better suited to smaller speakers.

Once I started looking for something (a DAC) to be source, I thought I may as well get a portable DAC/headphone amp, possibly with additional volume control. I still wouldn’t be able to listen to analogue on my main system, but I’d get really good sound in my bolt-hole, and solve the problem of nothing to drive my cans when I’m away, and have to option of getting small speakers for the Technics power at a later date, just for wallpaper music.

My dilemma is that if I want something decent, with line out, or even better, pre out, it seems to cost an absolute arm and a leg. The black label with pre out is way out of my budget of (ideally) £100-£200, either new or used. It would even be cheaper to get a Monolith Thx and Schit/Topping/Zen or whatever.
I ordered an XDUOO-05 plus, and then cancelled the order after reading about it over charging the battery. I guess I’m asking what you guys would do in my shoes. Is there a decent portable/Desktop that doesn’t break the bank, or should I be looking at separate solutions? Part of the appeal of a portable is that I would be able to use it with analogue sources as well, which I can’t currently do with my desktop NAD, as it has no aux in, just digital. I’d be glad of any thoughts or suggestions you may have.

Aug 17, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 13
Ohh Technics:sunglasses:
Remember saving my pennies for an su-a 900mkii.
Actually dug that out of storage 4 weeks ago and used ifi Zen Dac 2 with it in fixed mode, was fun.
I tell you what, there's a BIG difference in weight between the NAD and the Technics. The NAD is substantially heavier. The NAD also seems to keep the left and right circuitry well apart. Not keen on the plastic fan casing on the Technics. But the Technics has big VU meters and lights, which I can't resist. Mine's the SU-C1000M2 and A1000 Mark II.

Aug 17, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 13
Nice combo!
Remember the catalogue too, those VU meters. Believe Technics were sold at a loss in the UK at the time.
(Only time my fan kicked in was running TDLrtl3s and some B+W at the same time....back then did not know any better)

Might have missed something, but what headphones are you using currently?

Aug 17, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 13
DT1770 Pro. I know it may sound daft, but all the focus seems to be on how loud an amp will make the headphones go. My phone will drive these headphones, but it sounds horrible. Really not powerful at all, aside from clarity/quality. It's not that they aren't driven at a sufficient volume. I always go for wires over wireless. Same with computers. Cables running everywhere. Being reliant on the source is a boxed blessing with wired headphones.

When I saw the Technics in the shops they were silly money. There were some very posh cars parked outside that place. Somone was making some serious money, even if it wasn't Technics.

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 13
Right. Could just be those Beyers are strict.
Most bang for buck I have experienced is the Zendac or a used Mojo for a shed setup,
Both can be used to feed an amplifier, and easily sold too.
Interesting. I was aware of the Zen DAC, but don't know much about it. I know about the Mojo, but it's expensive. Having said that, it has the advantage, like you say, that it's easily sold. I'll have a look at a Zen Dac

Aug 18, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #8 of 13
Been mulling this over. A new Zen DAC is certainly good value for money. By the time I add a decent mobile solution into the mix, I'm getting up to Mojo money. I'm wary of spending the extra on a used Mojo. With my luck I'd get a lemon that I then can't sell on. I like the look of the Monolith Thx for mobile, but would be happier buying it if it had line out. I think I'd still want line out, even on a portable...and if it has line out, I can use it instead of the Zen DAC as well. I could give up the idea of the mobile solution running my Beyers and get something like an NX4 and in ears, with Beyers only for at home. But then I'm getting back towards Mojo money again.

Aug 18, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 13
Another solution might be to change my NAD DAC in my main system for a DAC with volume control and a line in. That way I can connect a phono preamp to the line in, which is the only analogue source I occasionally use atm. Then I can reunite the Technics amp. Then I could take the NAD DAC, along with both Technics to my tiny cottage. It wouldn't solve the mobile side of things. Or maybe I need to bite the bullet and get the Mojo. I can't decide what to do.

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 13
So you mentioned IEMs.
What you can get for not a lot of money these days is quite surprising in that realm, and can sound good just out of a phone with half-decent files.
That`s what I would do for a minimalist mobile setup, despite owning a Mojo personally.

Aug 19, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #11 of 13
So you mentioned IEMs.
What you can get for not a lot of money these days is quite surprising in that realm, and can sound good just out of a phone with half-decent files.
That`s what I would do for a minimalist mobile setup, despite owning a Mojo personally.
I've only become aware on IEMs fairly recently. I remember when the first in ears (not IEM) came out that were the earplug type. I got some OK ones with a Sony Xperia. It was all part of the Walkman branding. I've never had a phone with such dreadful sound quality. However, it prompted me to get some of the then new style (what I've always called) earphones. I looked at various reviews and got Sound Magic. They were around £30 at the time. They were pretty good. So I can easily believe the IEMs have got to be very good.

I don't know if I've been spoilt by my NAD DAC. Obviously, I've experienced various DACs as part of other things. Years ago, I used my old Minidisc deck as a DAC, in monitor out mode. The NAD just doesn't compare, even vaguely, to anything I've used before. If I use my Technics CD player, I always bounce it off NAD DAC, and never use analogue to preamp. I haven't heard any other stand alone DACs, but assume that there are DACs that sound as good or better than my NAD now, for the same or less money, just because things move on. The NAD is my benchmark. Unfortunately, they don't seem to list the full headphone out specs, so I can't compare. I know it's a Cyrus chip. They don't seem to be using those now.

My Mate 20 pro has the best sound I've ever had on any phone, but it's a very, very, very, long way off sounding good, through amps and anything I've plugged in via analogue jack. I guess IEMs would be fine with something like a Dragonly, but I haven't dipped my toes into the IEM waters yet. I wouldn't know where to begin.

I really like the look of the SMSL sh-9. It's just a shame it has no pre out. A monolith thx (the one with a screen) could be my solution for may main system, and then I can take the Technics and NAD, because it has a line in. The only thing is that (I'm guessing) it would convert the analogue line in to digital, which would defeat the object of still playing with analogue. I might as well just play the digital version of the song, if it's available.

By any chance, would you happen to know if a desktop DAC like my NAD or the Zen, if they can be powered from a battery? Then I could just take it with me. I mean, I know they're 5 volts, so wouldn't I just need a battery power supply capable of providing enough current?

Aug 19, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 13
By any chance, would you happen to know if a desktop DAC like my NAD or the Zen, if they can be powered from a battery? Then I could just take it with me. I mean, I know they're 5 volts, so wouldn't I just need a battery power supply capable of providing enough current?
Haven`t tested it with the Zen ...no suitable cable lying around atm. They sell a seperate power supply to use instead of USB, and I can`t find any audible difference.

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #13 of 13
Haven`t tested it with the Zen ...no suitable cable lying around atm. They sell a seperate power supply to use instead of USB, and I can`t find any audible difference.
I've had a look and you can get a battery pack that does it. I've seen one with 75watts to musical keyboard style jack, to fit a DAC like my NAD. Of course the Zen is usb powered, so that's even easier. It must be low current. Definitely food for thought. Although, I still feel a long way off a decision. I don't know whether to get a Zen or Mojo for the cottage, or get something for my main system instead, and move the NAD over to the cottage.

When it comes to premps, I wonder if the topping pre 90 is any good. I wonder how it compares to the Technics, or if a passive relay type is better anyway. Then I could sell the Technics pre and power to fund a decent upgrade to my digital. On the other hand, ditching the record deck would mean I wouldn't need a pre anyway, if I had it on the DAC. I just don't feel quite ready to do that. I think I'd probably miss having it in a couple of years. I can't believe I need more small speakers. I've given two sets of small speakers away not so long ago.

What's your system atm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back