Portable Dac help... Please!!
Oct 23, 2012 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HHRC

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have an iPod Classic 6th Gen, some Audio Technica M50 headphones and a Fiio E7 amp.

Would there be any advantage in me upgrading the Fiio to a portable Dac such as the NuForce Icon UDac 2 or would the difference in sound be marginal?

appreciate any advice.
Thanks

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 5
So you can send digital signal to a DAC through your iPod through..? Are you possibly talking about the Algorythm Solo or the Fostex HP-P1? The Nuforce uDAC2 is a USB DAC, FOR THINGS WITH A USB output, like a Laptop as a perfect example. You cannot attatch a DAC to your iPod from what I'm aware of and what you're doing with your E7 is simply using the amplifier function, NOT the DAC. The DAC only works with a Computer. If you're going to use this new portable DAC for your computer, I can suggest other DACs that will be of better choice than both the E7 and uDAC2. Now if you want a DAC for your iPod, something like the Algorhythm Solo or Fostex HP-P1 are the only things can I can think of that actually uses decryption of the Apple USB, instead of something like a LOD or the standard 3.5mm jack...

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I have an iPod Classic 6th Gen, some Audio Technica M50 headphones and a Fiio E7 amp.
Would there be any advantage in me upgrading the Fiio to a portable Dac such as the NuForce Icon UDac 2 or would the difference in sound be marginal?

I believe the cheapest DAC that connect to the iPod (or iPhone) is the HRT iStreamer ($155) and it's not really a "portable" DAC.
You could carry the HRT iStreamer with you and hook it up while sitting at a desk or table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back