Portable DAC/AMP or Player? (Fiio X5 vs FiiO E17k)
Mar 29, 2015 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

allochi

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I would appreciate the advice, I made my research, but I'm completely new to this - and lost :)

I want to buy an DT770 80 ohm for my digital piano, I tried it at the store, and I loved it, but I found out that it won't work well with my Android phone or my iPod, the 32 ohm doesn't sound as good. anyway, having a portable DAC/AMP was suggested, so I though I will research the whole thing, and I found out about this world of audiophilia :D

I found out about the Fiio E17K, which would provide DAC and AMP to my iPod and MacBook Air, and allow me to use the DT770 80 ohm with them.

Now, If instead of E17K I get Fiio X5, and use it as my main music player instead of the iPod, would it do the same job as a DAC/AMP? would it provide the same quality? what about using it with the DT770 80 ohm? would it still need an external AMP? I would love to use only one device if possible.

If you have any other suggestion please do advice, as I said I'm completely new to this, and I was never satisfied with the quality or detail of the music I get from my devices. I also checked DX90, but it doesn't have drivers for Mac.

I listen to all kind of music, but my main genres are classics and sound tracks.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 9
  I would appreciate the advice, I made my research, but I'm completely new to this - and lost :)
I want to buy an DT770 80 ohm for my digital piano, I tried it at the store, and I loved it, but I found out that it won't work well with my Android phone or my iPod, the 32 ohm doesn't sound as good. anyway, having a portable DAC/AMP was suggested, so I though I will research the whole thing, and I found out about this world of audiophilia :D
I found out about the Fiio E17K, which would provide DAC and AMP to my iPod and MacBook Air, and allow me to use the DT770 80 ohm with them.
Now, If instead of E17K I get Fiio X5, and use it as my main music player instead of the iPod, would it do the same job as a DAC/AMP? would it provide the same quality? what about using it with the DT770 80 ohm? would it still need an external AMP? I would love to use only one device if possible.
If you have any other suggestion please do advice, as I said I'm completely new to this, and I was never satisfied with the quality or detail of the music I get from my devices. I also checked DX90, but it doesn't have drivers for Mac.
I listen to all kind of music, but my main genres are classics and sound tracks.

Can the FiiO X5 be connected to the digital piano, so it functions like an external DAC/amp, to the piano?

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't know if it can be connected to the piano, and I don't really want that.

I just want to know which is better for me:

1. Fiio E17K + iPod/Mac + DT770

or

2. Fiio X5 + Mac + DT770

and if I still need an AMP with X5 + DT770 setup.

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 9
The X5s amp is going to be as good or better than the amp in the E17K.

The X5 will be fine with the DT770 Pro 80s.

I *think* that the X5 is supposed to work as a DAC with OSX (you should check in the X5 thread on Head-Fi).

I would choose the X5 over coupling the E17K with an iPod. Who wants to carry two devices? And the two will not sound better than the X5 alone.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 9
This is great news for me! Thanks a lot!

Do you think when it comes to battery and DT770 80 ohm support that X5 is better than DX90? how about sound quality?

And yes, the reason I want to have X5, is to use it as my main music device, and don't carry anything else.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 9
Do you think when it comes to battery and DT770 80 ohm support that X5 is better than DX90? how about sound quality?

I have only compared the X3 and the DX50, and they were equivalent in SQ to me. I would guess that the X5 and DX90 would be similarly so to each other. And if you find discussions where people are fighting over which is better, then that probably means they are pretty similar :)

I have no idea about the battery life. But some people use more battery life because they run the screen more or because they use more difficult to drive headphones that push the amp near full power. If you are worried about battery life, get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-Portable-External-Technology-Motorola/dp/B009USAJCC/ Then you have tons of backup battery power if you need it for travel, etc.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks a million for all the valuable advice, I'm traveling tomorrow to Paris, I will see if they sell Fiio X5 there and buy it, otherwise t's Amazon :D

Thanks again!

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 9
Hey, I would like to thank Cel4145 for the advice, in Paris, I found this shop that has it all :D

http://audiogarden.fr/

and the guy in charge there is amazing!

Anyway, I tried X5 and DX50 and DX90, I liked the DX more, anyway, I ended up buying Fiio E17K.

Unfortunately, the DX can't work as DAC for Mac, all the other DAC+AMP didn't sound as good to me as Fiio E17K, and the option to lower the Base and control the gain in different levels is great. The sound quality is amazing I find myself lowering the volume because I can actually hear and recognize the different instruments playing and the sounds are fulfilling.

In the future I hope for some player like DX with a more solid interface, better support for Mac and headphones come out with an "AFFORDABLE" price, the other models where crazy expensive, that I couldn't justify not carrying 2 devices to save 800 Euros!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back