Portable audiophile DAP with lots of avail disk space?
Jan 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

levinhatz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

Starting a new thread as I actually don't see one on this topic. I'm beginning to look for a portable digital audio player of some kind with a good DAC inside it and can hold (and play) 160GB+ worth of hi-res music files, be it via flash memory or otherwise. So far the only choice I can see out there is the AK120, which I've had the opportunity to try; it's a fantastic piece of gear, but very pricy. Are there any other options out there?

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 11
Similar sorts of questions have been asked. Audiophile DAPs tend to have smallish capacity and manufacturers have steered away from adding high capacity HDDs to these type of players. The trend has been to offer expandable storage at the users cost and with the issues that go with TF cards. There is only one thing worse you could ask other than high quality/capacity and that is high quality/capacity/battery life. One option is to get an iPod 5/5.5G, DIYmod or imod and add a 240GB Toshiba HDD or more expensive add a 128/256GB CF card. Quite expensive and requires some effort. The flagship models of iBasso (DX100), HiFiman (HM901), iRver AK120 are all high capacity but very expensive. Options like the iPod 6/7G 160GB or Cowon X7 160GB give the capacity but mainstream means sub-audiophile sound quality. Purchasing multiple players or multiple TF cards is another (expensive) and rather inconvenient option.

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 11
The AK100 is cheaper but can be a problem with IEMs with multiple drivers due to being 22 ohm impedance. If you have single armature IEMs like the IE800 or Klipsch X10i which have higher impedance you'll be fine.
Alternatively wait and see what 2014 will bring from Fiio

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 11
AK100mk2 has similar impedance with AK120 at 3 ohms that would bring your storage to a minimum of 160gig with 2 micro sd cards.
Lower storage option would be FiiO X5 and Sony ZX1 at 128 gig. I think the X5 will have OTG function, so you can attach a usb drive of at least 500gig, hence at least 600+ gig storage.
DX50 at 72gig storage with also a OTG function, so maybe around 572 gig option. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 11
Even three ohm is alot, it can muddy the bass alot. For example i have a very bad bass respond with im04 when paired with ak120. Last thing you want is a dap where it limits your iem options.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 11
Again people tend to over exaggerate over impedance issue. Having owned the stock 22ohms with the 3ohms and listened to <1ohms, there is some difference between the 22ohms and 3 ohms which is apparent in some songs especially in the bass region while not so apparent in other songs. Difference is hardly night and day.

More so with the 3ohms with <1 ohms. No difference unless your IEM is at 8ohms then there is a very slight difference.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 11
It is not an over exaggeration, it is an inconvenience that when takes place it will cause a lot if frustration. I experienced this with im04 which is a 14 ohm. Some people notice it because they listen to the same track enough time to know the sound well.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 11
It is not an over exaggeration, it is an inconvenience that when takes place it will cause a lot if frustration. I experienced this with im04 which is a 14 ohm. Some people notice it because they listen to the same track enough time to know the sound well.

it is an over exaggerated topic which I've seen some gone hysterical and blood thirsty over 3 ohms to 1 ohms difference. My V6 at 15 ohms didn't detect any
noticeable differences between 1 ohm and 3 ohm.
And any comparison to other DAPs is not really a comparison as each DAP has their own signature. If you want a more accurate comparison, do it with a 22ohms to 3ohms to 1ohms with the same DAP.

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 11
My Westone 4Rs and Sony XBA4ips had very little bass response on the AK100 MK1 but lovely detail in the mid and treble. So if you don't mind having a fraction of the bass you'll get even compared to putting it through your smartphone then you'll have no problem.
I have several IEMs that sound fantastic through my MK1

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 11
128gb micros cards by microdia are available on Amazon Japan however you will need to use Tenso. The iBasso/Hibino HDP-R10 can be had there new by Amazon direct for around 600 US plus the Tenso fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back