portable audio news from the consumer electronics show [CES]
Jan 11, 2004 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

aroon

100+ Head-Fier
straight from this slashdot entry, a bit of news about the stuff being shown at CES in vegas:

Since I'm in the market for a portable Ogg Vorbis player, I've asked at several of the manufacturer's booths whether they plan to support it, and specifically whether they will sell CD-based units with Vorbis decoders. (I've been encoding my CDs to Vorbis for the last few years; YMMV, but I like it.)

The results are about what I'd expect: a polite "not on our radar screen" is the gist of responses from representatives at Creative, Sony, and nearly all the other Big Names; at the lower-end makers booths (who, after all, make things like $40 MP3 CD players available at mass-market retailers), I never even found anyone who'd heard of Ogg. iRiver is the current standout in this regard, since they're releasing firmware to make their CD-based players Ogg-friendly; I'll be visiting iRiver's product lounge soon to take a look at their current lineup. I also found flash-based players from Samsung and Rio.

This isn't surprising in the crowded world of audio codecs: MP3 has the benefit of years of market saturation; Microsoft has the research and marketing clout to develop and license WMA; and the Apple touch, via ITMS, has make AAC a nearly overnight contender. (Microsoft was showing off in a dedicated booth a few dozen models of portable audio players, like the Rio Nitrus, that will play WMA files in addition to MP3s, including the smallest 20GB hard-drive based model I've yet encountered, the not-yet-in-the-U.S. Toshiba Gigabeat MEG200J. Think of portable audio as sculpted by Minox.)

However, I did find one working CD-based Ogg-playing portable (model MCD-CM600, part of the "Yepp" line) on display in the Samsung area. "On display" is pushing things; several examples of the player were on hand, but behind plexiglas as window dressing rather than as a demonstration product. A company representative did some Won-to-dollars calculation, and said the player is available in Korea for between $130-140 dollars at current exchange rates, but that Samsung had no current plans to sell it in the U.S.

my two cents: may be im seeing something very wrong here but isnt Ogg Vorbis a completely open and free standard with encoders and decoders all over the place? I know a lot of consumers have no idea what it is but surely at least some of the engineers and designers of these portable players have at heard of it. if it costs them next to nothing to toss in another feature of their product, why not do it? i guess i can understand the lack of support on portable cd players [kind of], but portable HD and flash music players? why not add in another really cheap to implement feature and attract a lot more of those customers that generally happen to be the ones to sell your product for you via word of mouth?

Jan 11, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 6
That OQO looks really sweet... Rip CDs to any lossless format, run foobar2k and output through an m-audio external dac via built in usb.

Thats one sweet portable setup.

www.oqo.com

Jan 11, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Except that OQO has been announcing products at CES for years on end, and never came to market with a real product. They demonstrated their "handheld PC" about 2 years ago, and still have yet to come out with a production unit.

Oh wellz, anyway, back on the topic of Ogg.. the question is, why should any company spend resource on putting in another decoder to fit into the already small hardware budget, or program the capabilty into the firmware and taking up precious memory space, for a codec that's on the track to... well, oblivion?

Ogg will remain a niche codec for years to come, since it offers no significant advantage over any other format, disregard the fact it's open source and free. Encode MP3 at a higher rate, you'll get sound quality that's not discernable to the typical consumer to begin with. There are plenty of consumers that can't tell the difference between 128kbps MP3 and 320kbps MP3.

All the other file format has reason for existence in one way or another, just like you mentioned. Ogg is the odd man out (no pun intended).

I'm more interested in more implementations of a lossless format than any more support for Ogg. MP3, WMA, AAC, the market for lossy compression is crowded enough as the way it is.

Jan 13, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 6
i dont at all, sry. and a quick search at google and google news turned up nothing.

i dunno about this audiophile company you're talking about but i know there is a HUGE international scam going on with audiophile speakers. unfortunately i fell for it myself but somehow got my money back. *whew*

edit: btw, more on the oqo on slashdot yesterday:

carpoolio writes "One of the most-talked about gadgets at CES last week was the OQO ultra personal computer (uPC). TechTV gave it a Best Mobile Device award, and deservedly so. It's a fully functional PC that fits in your pocket. Running on a 1 GHz Transmeta Crusoe processor, the uPC packs a 20 GB hard drive, 256 MB of RAM, and has a color screen that slides up to reveal the keyboard. The price? Sub-$2,000. Photos available on OQO's Web site. Similar devices have come and gone in recent years, but this one really looks nice." OQO seems to be slowly migrating from vaporware to a release date - a CNET News article notes that "OQO said Thursday that it will begin selling the device in the second half of 2004."

Jan 13, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 6
Sony has no reason to support OGG since it has the new Atrac3plus codec which apparently is better than both MP3 and WMA at low bitrates (48 to 64kbps) where OGG is better, too. Atrac3plus at 64kbps is preferred slightly over 128K MP3.

Since the new MD recorders are good on battery life, I suspect that the decoder for Atrac3plus uses less CPU power than OGG does. Right now that is a big killer for the OGG codec on portables. It seems to use a lot more power to decode even at lower bitrates.

It was posted in another thread that Atrac3plus beats WMA and MP3 in A/B tests listening to random musical selections and that the reproduction of test tones and sweeps is a lot better than WMA and MP3. The improvement in this codec is such that Sony lowered the bitrate from 292kbps to 256kbps of the best compression (SP mode) and now provides a 48kbps mode in place of the old LP4 mode (64kbps).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back