Portable Audio in the Workplace
Nov 14, 2006 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

j-dawg

100+ Head-Fier
What kind of audio gear do you have at work? Do you leave it there, or transport it back and forth? Do you switch between multiple sources ie. PCDP, Minidisc, DAP, PC, etc?

I'm just curious because work is where I do 99.9% of all my headphone listening. I'm a programmer/analyst so I'm pretty much constantly plugged in. I always have a vintage PCDP on my desk because it looks cool, generally a D-350 but I'll rotate others in and out from time to time. It generally only gets used for jazz/orchestra CD's as everything else gets ripped to MD or MP3. I pulled a headphone extension cable from my PC soundcard to the top of my desk so switching sources is quick and easy. In my manbag I carry a DAP, a Minidisc player and whatever CD's and MD's I feel like listening to. (Note: Manbag is for carrying audio gear from home-to-car-to-office and back again, not carried around while "shopping" or anything else! Arrrrr!! *Smashes a beer can on his head*) My main office cans are K81DJ's but I also keep a set of HD201's in my locking overhead cabinet.

Anyone care to share your work-related setups? Anyone else have/use ALL your best portable gear at work? I'm guessing I'm in the minority here because I see lot of pictures of really nice headphone amps that you guys use at home. But if/when I get myself a nice amp, you can bet that it will live at my desk at work.

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 22
Up until it broke I used mostly iPod -> A900. Keep the ATs there and switched to Etys for back and forth on the tram.

Nov 15, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 22
My office rig is transportable at the moment, mainly because I need a pair of cans that would let me hear the phone ringing. Click on the thumbnail below to view the full size pic:

xs.php
[/url][/IMG]

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 22
I flirted with using an old iRiver player a few years ago... then eventually switched to making a music server and over about a year's time ended up with a $4k setup
cool.gif

Like you I'm a software engineer and almost all headphone time is at work. Gym I use a shuffle/KSC75.

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 22
I do most of my listening at work also. My rig consists of Beyer 990pro's, my microamp with microstrap and Ipod. I also have a Sony D-35(that I recently acquired) for CDs. I was previously using a Sony D-33. I also use a Alien DAC with the Microamp or Pint to listen to Internet Radio. I usually go through phases with my sources. Everything stays locked up in my desk except for my ipod.

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 22
E-Mu 0404, Meta42 w/ my custom power & stacked buffers, AKG k501/271. I copy my entire lossless collection to a 400 gig usb drive. Not exactly portable, but I listen at work a lot more than home since I'm in software development.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 22
I can't really use headphones at work. I plug my iPod into an Altec Lansing im7, it's in a locked office so I leave it when I go home and take my iPod with me

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 22
I'm a university student and I work in the main campus library. Since I usually work right after I'm done with the day's classes, my portable rig is basically my work rig:

Ipod 5G -> Sik line-out -> Cmoy -> A500s

Since I work in a library, I need closed phones. While carrying around a pair of giant AT's to all my classes can be a bit of a pain sometimes, I do what I must for the SQ (and I sometimes just end up taking my KSC75s).

On days when I don't work I usually take my iGrados instead. I wish I could just leave the A500s in the library for use when on the clock, but, alas, I don't trust the student locker that's always unlocked and has people constantly throwing their backpacks into.

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 22
I have a copy of my music library on an external HD here @ the office, so I use the following (non-portable) rig:
PC/Foobar2000 | Alien USB DAC | Eddie Current/Laconic Lunch Box | HD-650 cable | HD-600
I had used my iPod, but it only made sense to use my workstation to cut down on the wear and tear on the iPod. I've been very happy with this setup as I too do most of my listening at work.

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by j-dawg
Arrrrr!! *Smashes a beer can on his head*

Modern cans are so thin this is not such an impressive feat anymore..

Praise the bag! I call it a messenger bag, and rightfully because I worked as a cycle courier in the nyc before..

I usually stay sedentary for most of the day too like you, and find that it is well worth it to actually have a cd/sacd player on the desk. Do you have an lcd monitor? If so you can always stack it on top of the cd player a la old computer style.

A portable amp that has dc jack would be awsome so you can use it as the amp for work, and also take it with your to accompany your dap/pcdp/mdp while out of the office.

Investing in a really good portable amp would do you best. Im not sure what computer you are using at work, but If I were doing what you do I would leave the computer alone, and just have a souce-->amp setup that doesnt include a computer. If it is like a company computer it probably blows, but if its your own computer then it might be a different story. Your office is most likely pretty quite, so having all your best gear there would be the best choice. Get yourself a good mobile amp, like the best one you can afford that can be plugged and and also batt powered.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 22
(a) Ipod -> Total Bithead -> DT770/80 or UE SF5Pro.
(b) Computer -> Total Bithead -> DT770/80 or UE SF5Pro.

To complicate things slightly, I just bought a NAD reciever for $30. Now I have that at work and it sounds very nice so far, occasionally replacing the TBH. I am a bit afraid the NAD will "walk away" but we'll see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back