Portable amps and ATH-m50s
May 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #17 of 33
Is there a chat?  Well, I see you're an expert? with the m50.  Do you recommend these for Hip Hop Rap? If I provide a few songs could you say if they're good for them? 

I wouldn't say expert, but someone who has enough experience and comparisons with them to know how they fare in the never-ending battle for audio perfection.

Chat how?

May 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #18 of 33
I was hoping there may be  a chat feature here.  I have meebo, so we can use that if you have yahoo, or aim etc msn. 

Or maybe just here...

I'll point a few songs -some I like songs, some dont care for but exemplify the music I like

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=like+a+g6&aq=f (808s, synthesizers, highs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZwMX6T5Jhk (808s...nuff said.  I love this song-exception)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QU1nvuxaMA (great guitar riffs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2ZUGc2mSs (see above, strong vocals)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk (probably the most demanding in terms of asynchronous audio, heavy guitar, etc)

May 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #19 of 33
any classical and jazz can be included in my preferences.  these are important too.  especially classical when there are silent moments and I'd like to hear the breathing and pauses.  The quiets are so important...haha. 

May 7, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #21 of 33
Bass slam is more an element of a headphone's native sound signature.  Tightening the bass up and providing more of it will help give yoj more slam in a ways, but not as much as actually getting a headphone that's designed to push air in the first place.

M50's bass is more than acceptable for hip hop and rap, but some of the pure bassheads won't be satisfied with it.  

May 8, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #23 of 33
I'm not sure if the M50s are thumpier than the S4's, at least not if the S4's have a good seal. The M50 bass is certainly tighter and doesn't bleed over as much as the more loose bass of the S4. But, when the S4's have a good seal (at least for me), they have more of a thump than the M50. That said, if you don't have a good seal in your ear for the S4 (or any IEM, I think), the bass will be quite weak.

(Wow, I hadn't used my S4's in quite a while, and having just used them, I didn't realize how loose the bass was until now, after weeks of mainly using my MS400s.)

May 8, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #24 of 33

Well that's depressing. I was hoping to get louder bass than the s4. Well say I don't like these can you recommend phones near the price point that have louder thumper bass than m50 but have just as good overall sound? Thanks

May 8, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #26 of 33

Quote:
Well that's depressing. I was hoping to get louder bass than the s4. Well say I don't like these can you recommend phones near the price point that have louder thumper bass than m50 but have just as good overall sound? Thanks

Very little cans have that kind of SQ. Closest I can think of in your price range is the HFI580, though the bass increase is only by a little. Another (more pricey) option is the Pro900.

May 8, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #27 of 33
Definitely too expensive for me.  However, knowing that the m50 is as good as it gets for the price makes things better.  
i bought the E5...everyone says it wont do much for these phones but I'm willing to take any increase in bass volume (guilty pleasure) i mean it should do something right? 

If not, I'll return.  But 20 dollars is a steal IMO. 

Are the xb700s or the shur840s as good as the m50s sq wise? Do they have more bass?

May 8, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #28 of 33
By sound alone, from what I've heard (that's in your price range), I'd suggest trying the Shure SRH750DJ if you're looking for that slammin' kind of thumpy bass that doesn't overpower everything else. For reference, I've used the SRH750DJ, Sony XB500, Phiaton MS400, Sennheiser HD428, Klipsch S4, ATH-M50, and HFI-780.

A few tracks I use to compare bass include:
At War With Me (Instrumental)-Zack Hemsey (I love those drums. Sometimes, you can feel 'em.)
I Love My Sex-Benny Benassi
Sutra-Gotosa (around 36-38 seconds in, depending on the 'phones, it can kind of kick you in the face in a nice way)

I also listen to a fairly eclectic assortment of music, and the 750DJs handled them all fairly well. Also, I never used an external amp for music, just the amp from the source (iPod Touch 4th generation mostly ALAC files with some 320 and 256 kbps mp3s). 

Gaming-wise, SRH750DJ doesn't play well with shooters, even when used with Dolby Headphone (I use an Astro MixAmp to get the Dolby Headphone processing). However, it is kind of a guilty and at-times deliciously rumbly pleasure when playing RPGs (Mass Effect and Dragon Age) or Action games (Assassin's Creed). So, if you really need the cues for a competitive multiplayer shooter, you might want to look elsewhere. But if you aren't into competitive multiplayer, it'd most likely be fine. (If I'm playing competitively, I will reluctantly switch to the pair of A40s I have. Otherwise, I was using the 750DJs for non-competitive games. Hmm. Full disclosure: lately, for gaming, I've been using the HFI-780s I picked up recently, but that bass isn't as prominent as the 750DJ. Soundstage was also pretty good, too. I delightfully played through Section 8: Prejudice without having to switch to the A40s to get proper cues. Huzzah.) 

May 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #29 of 33

Quote:
Definitely too expensive for me.  However, knowing that the m50 is as good as it gets for the price makes things better.  
i bought the E5...everyone says it wont do much for these phones but I'm willing to take any increase in bass volume (guilty pleasure) i mean it should do something right? 

If not, I'll return.  But 20 dollars is a steal IMO. 

Believe me this little person will make the difference...
It will definitely boost the bass of the m50's..

May 9, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #30 of 33
I was definitely thinking about the 750dj.  But one look at its construction and I had to turn away. I dont want to get burned like I did with the image s4.  The band looks shoddy and rigid and seems like it will fall apart.  

I also want something that will make classical music sound good (or at least bettr than the s4) and i hear the m50 do a good job.  Not sure the 750 can.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back