Portable Amp Size (Pics)
May 27, 2005 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
Bear with me as I'm just learning how to use this camera......pics are pretty bad! But, you can get an idea of the sizes of each. I had to do this, because I just received a Xin SuperDual today, and am astounded at the absolutely incredible small size of this thing......and I love the bass boost with the Ety ER6i.
biggrin.gif

Pic 1 is the SuperDual next to iPod Mini
pic.php

Pic 2 is SuperDual on top of JMT-built CHA47
pic.php

Pic 3 is SuperDual on top of Portaphile V2
pic.php

Pic 4 is variety of amps (L to R) CHA47, Portaphile V2, JMT META42 in Serpac Case, Pocketamp V2 with iPod Shuffle on top, and the diminutive SuperDual.
Front row is 3G 15gig iPod and 2G 4gig iPod Mini (upside down
biggrin.gif
)
pic.php

May 27, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 14
That's a nice vaja case for the mini
icon10.gif

Nice selection of amps as well.. I've been looking for a Supermicro (the one that looks like a cigarette lighter) but with no luck so far...

How does the Portaphile compare to your Meta42?

May 27, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
That's a nice vaja case for the mini
icon10.gif

Nice selection of amps as well.. I've been looking for a Supermicro (the one that looks like a cigarette lighter) but with no luck so far...

How does the Portaphile compare to your Meta42?

Yeah, that is a nice case. I picked it up from a fellow Head-Fier.
wink.gif

The META42 has more low-end "oomph," but does not provide the detailed sound of the PortaphileV2. I like it with the Etys. But now that I have the SuperDual with bass-boost, I don't know how much use it will get. It's also rather large, although I didn't think so when I got it.
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 14
holy moly thats tiny.... How does it sound with low imp cans? Hows the SN ratio at lower impedences?

thx,
Garrett

May 27, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 14
Very cool Bob! However, conspicuous by it's absence is the SR-71. If you haven't heard one, you really should...then again, maybe you shouldn't. Oh well, you know what I mean...

wink.gif

May 27, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
holy moly thats tiny.... How does it sound with low imp cans? Hows the SN ratio at lower impedences?

thx,
Garrett

It sounds great with the low imp 'phones like Ety and Shures, but there is some hiss due to the high gain. The impedance switch takes care of that if it is bothersome. With music playing, however, the hiss is inaudible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
Very cool Bob! However, conspicuous by it's absence is the SR-71. If you haven't heard one, you really should...then again, maybe you shouldn't. Oh well, you know what I mean...

I'm sure I'll hear one soon, Rick........my track record with this stuff indicates that I'm the type who likes to climb the ladder, one rung at a time. For me, the journey is the reward.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 14
Though I don't have the Xin SuperMicro any longer (and they're currently not in production), it's worth adding its size into the discussion for comparison.

Shown here with a 4G iPod

ipod4gsetup.jpg

May 28, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanz
Though I don't have the Xin SuperMicro any longer (and they're currently not in production), it's worth adding its size into the discussion for comparison.

Shown here with a 4G iPod

ipod4gsetup.jpg

Jeez those are some dinky amps
eek.gif
eek.gif
... makes the crossfeed adapter look big.

Garrett

May 28, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 14
Hey joe - how does the superdual compare to the portaphile or pocketamp (the two I have)?

I actually went to see if I could buy that superdual, but you beat me to it
mad.gif
wink.gif

I need something thin to go with the ipod, and bass boost would be nice.

May 28, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #10 of 14
It does make the tiny adapter look big. However, in this case it's not a XinFeed (crossfeed) adapter, it's a Xin Mini 75 ohm (4p->4s) adapter.

May 28, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Jeez those are some dinky amps
eek.gif
eek.gif
... makes the crossfeed adapter look big.

Garrett

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanz
it's a Xin Mini 75 ohm (4p->4s) adapter.

The Supermicro has crossfeed *on board*, no need for external Xinfeed
cool.gif

May 29, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Very cool Bob! However, conspicuous by it's absence is the SR-71. If you haven't heard one, you really should...then again, maybe you shouldn't.

the size of the SR-71 surprised me.I had seen pictures of the amp with other articles in the picture for "scale' but until you have one in your hand you really don't get a proper feel for the size.Very compact and extremely well put together.

May 29, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 14
It always amazes me how stuff piles up around your place Joe, Is there some kind of vacuum zone around there?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back