Portable amp request.
Jan 31, 2007 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

flamerz

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been contemplating (and saving extra lunch money for) an amp upgrade. Right now I have a PA2V2 which is fine and all, but I know it's the weakest part in my system right now. Over the last few weeks I keep deciding on an amp, then changing my mind, and I still don't even have proper funding yet! I've stored about $30, plus I could probably sell my PA2V2 for around $50, so I still have a bit left. My budget is to be somewhere between $100-$150. Hopefully closer to $100. Anyway, here are the main things I'm looking for:

Bass - Deep extension, heavy (at least not light) impact, clean
Clarity - I miss the clarity I used to have back when I owned iM716's, however, other than that, I didn't like the sound of them at all. Hopefully an amp can help with this.
Soundstage - Soundstage is extremely important to me. Depth is the most important part of it, although precision and width are important for my gaming also.

Overall performance is of course what I'm looking for, but those are the three most important aspects for me. I listen to rap, hip hop, and some trip hop. Hopefully the recommendations will be within my price range. I'm not even considering anything above $200. $150 is stretching it enough for me.

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 11
The amp that I have does not get much love around here. That's ok with me. I found the sound that I am looking for. I have owned a PA2V2..Shellbrook Mini Moy..2006 Total BitHead..and now a $65.00 shipped price amp by biosciencegeek off of eBay. If you can, check this out. Worlds apart from the PA2V2 for about the same price.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 11
I just had MisterX build me one of his XP amps, and the sound is fantastic. It was a huge upgrade in SQ from the PA2V2 I had. And He has very reasonable prices for an outstanding product. I would give him a PM and have a chat with him about your needs. I'm sure he can build something in your price range to suit your musical tastes.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 11
I like the C&C Box better (side by side) than the Xtra X1 you listed. If soundstage is a big priority, you might want to seriously consider this amp. The group buy here puts it into your price range.

I don't listen to a ton of rap, but I did crank some old Beastie Boys and I'll tell ya, it ain't lacking whatsoever in the bass department... of course, this depends on your headphones as well. I was using Senn HD485s, open cans!

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back