Portable amp help!
Nov 1, 2003 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kuma

Headphoneus Supremus
I used to use RA1 for travel, but I've ditched it because of pain in the butt security check at the airport.

I use a minidisc player with Ety 4s 'phones.

Adding a one of those cute mint amp make a diffrence? ( those are just too adorable! )

Nov 2, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 12
I love my mint from Headsave.

I Highly recommend Headsave amps. Their build quality and sound quality is awesome.

Nov 2, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by markkr
I love my mint from Headsave.

I Highly recommend Headsave amps. Their build quality and sound quality is awesome.

Mark,

Thanks for the reco. Pardon me for my ignornace, but where can i see one and get one?

Nov 2, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 12
Nov 2, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 12
If you are plugging 4P's directly into the amp, it will overdrive them. The only time I plug them directly into the amp is when I'm listneing to Techno or Rap where the bass boost or the 4P's is helpful.

If you use a P->S adapter it will still drive them to higher than normal listening levels but they play perfectly clear all the way up to max volume. I tend to listen to music very loud and my iPod volume is usually at 3/4 and the amp volume is just below 3/4.

Sorry, I dont know the output impedance. If you e-mail Norm at Headsave, I'm sure he'd be glad to answer that for you. He's a super-helpful guy.

Markkr

Nov 2, 2003 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 12
Just as an aside, how much more trouble do you think that electronics wired into a mint tin is going to save you at the airport? I'm thinking you might have MORE trouble!!

Personally, I'd recommend either the HeadRoom Cosmic or the Emmeline XP-7...but I'm not sure that solves the problem either. I wonder why they're giving you grief over the RA-1? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Nov 2, 2003 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Just as an aside, how much more trouble do you think that electronics wired into a mint tin is going to save you at the airport? I'm thinking you might have MORE trouble!!

Personally, I'd recommend either the HeadRoom Cosmic or the Emmeline XP-7...but I'm not sure that solves the problem either. I wonder why they're giving you grief over the RA-1? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Thats why I went with the Headsave Intro. Its in a case instead of the tin. Looks a little more legitimate.

Nov 2, 2003 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom

LOL. Never thought of it, but you might have a point there. hehe.

Honestly, schlepping both RA1/minidisc player got to be too much hastle at the air port! Some security folks were even suspicious of minidisc player. ( they've never seen it.
eek.gif
)

Nov 3, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 12
kuma: Jan's Porta Corda (II) is another nice portable amp (especially in class a mode), btw - and it should also look professional enough to convince security personnel...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 3, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
kuma: Jan's Porta Corda (II) is another nice portable amp (especially in class a mode), btw - and it should also look professional enough to convince security personnel...

Lini,

thanks for the lead!

Nov 3, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 12
You're welcome - as always. Must be the cute avatar...
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: What I always wanted to ask you (..., but never dared
biggrin.gif
), btw: How come that you know so much high-end gear? That should either involve some serious source of income, some serious hanging around in hifi shops - or a totally different stroy, which could be interesting to read...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back