Portable Amp for Unique Melody Miracles?
Jun 1, 2011 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,
This is my first post, so please be gentle :D
I've just taken the plunge and bought a very good set of IEM's and want to get some decent equipment to drive them. I only ordered the IEM's today, but I would like to have some gear ready for them when they arrive.

So I currently have an iPhone 4 with UE TF10's that will tide me over until my Miracles arrive, and give me something to use on the new equipment. But this is where you guys (hopefully) come in, I need some advice on a portable amp to drive them with. Ideally I would like it to be able to run my Sennheiser HD-25's also. I listen to Rock and Heavy Metal if this helps and like a balanced sound signature. I would like it to not be too large, but quality is the number 1 goal, so I understand it's not going to be coin sized. :)

Also, I know this isn't the correct section and I'll post another thread if you recommend so, but would you also recommend a better player? Or is the iPhone 4 OK with the IEM's and an amp? The Cowon J3 seems to get a lot of praise around here, would this be my best bet? Is it necessary?

Thanks all for your assistance in advance. I've read over a lot of these threads before buying my Miracles, so you've all already helped me without knowing.

Aaron

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 11
You might wanna list a price range before anyone can help you.

I've done quite a bit of research on this subject myself. On the $300-$400 budget, the Pico Slim, Arrow 12HE, Practical Devices XM6 seem to be getting great reviews on the forums. I've only heard my room mates XM6, and it sounds good to my ears; however I'm still an amateur in this subject. Though my next purchase will definitely be the XM6.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm not sure really. As with the IEM's I'm happy to pay the price for good equipment, there's no point investing so much in IEM's if there's crap equipment on the otherside, So I guess what I'm trying to say is money isn't that bigger deal, so a much as is needed? That being said I don't really want to spend more than around $500. But if I need to I can go higher, but would have to be for good reason.

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 11
If you are interested in a very small but highly regarded headphone amp, you might consider the iBasso T3 or T3D.  

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:

Thanks heaps for that link feliks! After having a look through there I'm thinking something like the ALO RX or the HeadStage Arrow. Paired with a decent LOD and my iPhone 4, obviously playing lossless quality music. Opinions?

Quote:
If you are interested in a very small but highly regarded headphone amp, you might consider the iBasso T3 or T3D.  

Cheers for the input HiFlight, will these also be able to power my HD-25's if I want to use them also? They are quite low impedance. But I've noticed that my iPhone cannot power them sufficiently alone.

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 11
I have not tried iPhone, Miracles and certainly have not heard even half of the amps reviewed by Mike. However, I voted for the Pico Slim. In my experience this is the first portable amp which I do not want to say goodbye, moreover, encouraged me to save for desktop from HeadAmp. 
The Pico Slim can drive HD-25's nicely.

Quote:

Thanks heaps for that link feliks! After having a look through there I'm thinking something like the ALO RX or the HeadStage Arrow. Paired with a decent LOD and my iPhone 4, obviously playing lossless quality music. Opinions?

Cheers for the input HiFlight, will these also be able to power my HD-25's if I want to use them also? They are quite low impedance. But I've noticed that my iPhone cannot power them sufficiently alone.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 11
We have a bunch of Beat Audio LOD's, a couple of CMOY's, a HISOUND Studio V and a Arrow 12HE G3 here that you are welcome to have a listen to when you get your Miracles mate.

You'll find the iPhone4 a bit warmish with the Miracles, but works well with Rock.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 11
I have an ipod touch 4G and TF10 also. I find that the ibasso T3 is adequate, but I do like my more bulky cmoy penguin royal amp.
A decent  LOD opens out the sound even more.

*Although.............I do find equalizer app or the more basic EQu app opens up the touch (and prob the iphone 4) as a player, cheaper than an amp too.
I would strongly recommend trying those two apps FIRST and then ponder whether you want to get an amp.

There is also the new Fiio E11 amp out too.

EDIT:reread your post (sorry its late here)

ibasso T3 or the fiio E11 will probably be a good fit-they are good amps at the less expensive zone. 

Also try the equalizer app, I started on the EQu but equalizer is more clear/clean/accurate.

What is your budget btw?

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
I have not tried iPhone, Miracles and certainly have not heard even half of the amps reviewed by Mike. However, I voted for the Pico Slim. In my experience this is the first portable amp which I do not want to say goodbye, moreover, encouraged me to save for desktop from HeadAmp. 
The Pico Slim can drive HD-25's nicely.

Cheers again feliks, I've pretty much got the Pico Slim, the ALO RX and the Arrow 12HE 4G in my sights at the moment, I'll wait until the Miracles arrive and then I'll go from there. Thanks for you input. Might create a poll and see what comes of it. Cheers.

Quote:
We have a bunch of Beat Audio LOD's, a couple of CMOY's, a HISOUND Studio V and a Arrow 12HE G3 here that you are welcome to have a listen to when you get your Miracles mate.

You'll find the iPhone4 a bit warmish with the Miracles, but works well with Rock.

Thanks mate! I'll definitely take you up on the offer. Do you guys sells LOD's or Amps also? Or will I have to source them from elsewhere once the Miracle's arrive?

Quote:
I have an ipod touch 4G and TF10 also. I find that the ibasso T3 is adequate, but I do like my more bulky cmoy penguin royal amp.
A decent  LOD opens out the sound even more.

*Although.............I do find equalizer app or the more basic EQu app opens up the touch (and prob the iphone 4) as a player, cheaper than an amp too.
I would strongly recommend trying those two apps FIRST and then ponder whether you want to get an amp.

There is also the new Fiio E11 amp out too.

EDIT:reread your post (sorry its late here)

ibasso T3 or the fiio E11 will probably be a good fit-they are good amps at the less expensive zone. 

Also try the equalizer app, I started on the EQu but equalizer is more clear/clean/accurate.

What is your budget btw?

Hey Expatinjapan,
If I do go with an amp a decent LOD will be a given. I've already taken your advice and spent a bit of the weekend experimenting with EQu and Equaliser with my TF10's and they have really been amazing, I'm thinking that it might be enough for now. But I'll make the final call once the Miracle's arrive and I've had some time to burn them in and played with the EQu and Equaliser programs. My budget is somewhere around $600 inc. LOD. But that doesn't mean I won't consider cheaper alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back